Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Does anyone have suggestions for an all-gold watch? Preferably priced between 100-300$.
I'm rocking the $35 Casio joint as you can see in the camo khakis pic. I love it as an everyday piece, but i wanna step it up a little. Stopped by Barneys yesterday and they had an all gold Nixon Time Teller, super clean face, but the band was TERRIBLE. Some stretchy, bracelet-y appeal to it. :x
Don't wanna go the Michael Kors route, cuz that piece has been *****d to death. >D
Any input will be appreciated guys. Thanks.

Outside of Kors and Nixon, Diesel, Armani Exchange and Marc Jacobs might be your only option from a designer brand: http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/60154194?origin=leftnav

Seiko and Timex might have some to offer too: http://www1.macys.com/shop/jewelry-...sortBy=ORIGINAL&productsPerPage=100&!qvp=iqvp

I always liked Swatch myself. They have some nice gold ones, and their prices are always good.

Check out their new Golden Block Collection.

Last edited:
I just bought these at Nordstrom and I LOVE them. They go well with the rest of my fall pastel color attire.

Does anyone here use a tote bag? I keep seeing them in menswear blogs and magazines like GQ but I'm having a hard time seeing them used in a masculine way. They just look too much like a woman's bag to me but I can see the appeal in their function as a carryall type of bag. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

Damb man eff that.

Exactly what I meant lol. Prices just too damn high!!!!

Too damn high? It's a leather jacket and $350? Are you guys looking for $100 leather jacket? If so, get the faux versions at H&M and Zara.

A good leather is something you shouldn't go cheap on and a good leather isn't going to cost $100 and those that does, you do not want.

Trust me.

Too damn high? It's a leather jacket and $350? Are you guys looking for $100 leather jacket? If so, get the faux versions at H&M and Zara.
A good leather is something you shouldn't go cheap on and a good leather isn't going to cost $100 and those that does, you do not want.
Trust me.

My gripe is not the price but rather the fact that it comes from the GAP.

While its great Mark McNairy and co are attached to the collection, I dont have much faith that the quality is up to par. I hope I am wrong.

So the pricepoint if you look at it on its own is cheap, think about the source.

I would rather save a couple more hundred bucks and look for something around the 5-700 range

While its great Mark McNairy and co are attached to the collection, I dont have much faith that the quality is up to par. I hope I am wrong.
So the pricepoint if you look at it on its own is cheap, think about the source.
I would rather save a couple more hundred bucks and look for something around the 5-700 range

pretty much. I assumed that since this was the Gap, most of the stuff would be affordable. If not, then whats the difference between buying the stuff from the source or another retailer

Trust me.
Its too damn high. PERSONALLY, look for thirft stores in VERY NICE AREAS. I live in the DC area, thirft stores around there have VERY NICE REAL LEATHER JACKETS for a bargin. Do the real leather test if you are unsure. And they sure as hell arent 350. Venting

We had this discussion about the H&M collab phenomenon.

Lanvin/ H&M resell prices = actual Lanvin prices. Which quality is better.

Why?

I guess that was my gripe

Couple fits from the past two days. One includes that red tweed herringbone blazer, figured I'd experiment and see what I could wear it with. Thankfully didn't have to tailor it.

Yesterday to teach (grizzlyboy thanks for the tie):

Today to run some errands

Last edited:

This is true with any retail store clothing though, they will never sell you at retail that matches the quality because if they'd have to sell it at wholesale price but then they will make no money.

Even Levis that sells for $35 cost about maybe $2-$5 to make a pair. Quality is good for the most part for a $35 pair of jeans but once you dive into actual jeans and those that cost $100 or more that isn't designer (like True or Seven) then you'll see how big of a difference it is from Levis. The construction, the material, the style, etc... All those plays a factor. And this is coming from a big Levis fan, I just bought a pair of 511 trousers 2 weeks ago and loved them so much I bought 4 more (practically all the colors they had available) so you can't even say I am hating on Levis.

When it comes to clothes that are sold in-stores, there will always be mark-up. At the end of the day, it isn't just about the quality, you also have to pay for the design, style and cut. It's easy to produce a leather jacket of great quality but it could still look like crap and fit like a sack.

For around $700, ToJ really is the best value. They have no brick and mortar store, they don't even have an official website (it is fan made) so they have no overhead and they employ a handful of people so the savings is passed down to the buyer. They make very little on each jacket and even when they hike the price to accommodate the increase in cost of living , it is by a few dollars. Not only that but you get it made specifically for you.

For around $700, ToJ really is the best value. They have no brick and mortar store, they don't even have an official website (it is fan made) so they have no overhead and they employ a handful of people so the savings is passed down to the buyer. They make very little on each jacket and even when they hike the price to accommodate the increase in cost of living , it is by a few dollars. Not only that but you get it made specifically for you.

Perfect.

I guess knowing that a Temple of JaWnz exists

makes me SMH at the GAP pricing

This is true with any retail store clothing though, they will never sell you at retail that matches the quality because if they'd have to sell it at wholesale price but then they will make no money.
Even Levis that sells for $35 cost about maybe $2-$5 to make a pair. Quality is good for the most part for a $35 pair of jeans but once you dive into actual jeans and those that cost $100 or more that isn't designer (like True or Seven) then you'll see how big of a difference it is from Levis. The construction, the material, the style, etc... All those plays a factor. And this is coming from a big Levis fan, I just bought a pair of 511 trousers 2 weeks ago and loved them so much I bought 4 more (practically all the colors they had available) so you can't even say I am hating on Levis.
When it comes to clothes that are sold in-stores, there will always be mark-up. At the end of the day, it isn't just about the quality, you also have to pay for the design, style and cut. It's easy to produce a leather jacket of great quality but it could still look like crap and fit like a sack.
Not true at all. Honestly, they mark prices up for what they feel the public deems high quality. A lot of the high quality items are at the same level of quality of the basic items. Somebody who shops at J crew such as myself can tell you that a 150 dollar wallace and barnes shirt is the same quality as their 59 dollar button down shirts. But because THEY TELL YOU that Wallace and Barnes is better, you believe it and spend 3x the amount for the same quality stuff.

Last edited:
pretty much. I assumed that since this was the Gap, most of the stuff would be affordable. If not, then whats the difference between buying the stuff from the source or another retailer

If you buy from the source/designer, instead of $350 leather jacket, it'll likely be twice the price.
It seems that the leather at $350 is the most expensive in that GQxGAP collab and if it is the BLK DNM, his jackets usually retail for $800-$900:
http://www.ssense.com/men/product/blk_dnm/dark_olive_padded_leather_jacket/58328

http://www.revolveclothing.com/DisplayProduct.jsp?product=BLKD-MO2&c=BLK+DNM&d=b

If you buy from the source/designer, instead of $350 leather jacket, it'll likely be twice the price.
It seems that the leather at $350 is the most expensive in that GQxGAP collab and if it is the BLK DNM, his jackets usually retail for $800-$900:
http://www.ssense.com/men/product/blk_dnm/dark_olive_padded_leather_jacket/58328
http://www.revolveclothing.com/DisplayProduct.jsp?product=BLKD-MO2&c=BLK+DNM&d=b
Those are top tier leather jackets. Tons of real leather jackets for cheaper

Not true at all. Honestly, they mark prices up for what they feel the public deems high quality. A lot of the high quality items are at the same level of quality of the basic items. Somebody who shops at J crew such as myself can tell you that a 150 dollar wallace and barnes shirt is the same quality as their 59 dollar button down shirts. But because THEY TELL YOU that Wallace and Barnes is better, you believe it and spend 3x the amount for the same quality stuff.

I've handled the regular JCrew shirt and Wallace & Barnes and could tell you the W&B is slightly better. Not by much but it is better. Is it worth twice the price? Likely not.

You also have to pay for the design, color, material, etc... Then JCrew has to pay for the name W&B so they have to mark it up. These are judgment calls if you want to pay but W&B has most of the camo stuff at JCrew, if you want camo you have to buy W&B. I mean JCrew doesn't mark up their Nikes or Red Wings or Aldens unless it is actually a store exclusive (where a smaller number is made and likely cost a bit more to make). If JCrew were really in to stick it to their customers, they might as well mark those things up too.

WJ4 can say his own side on the matter of how well they hold up after wears and washes since he does own JCrew W&B items along with regular JCrew stuff, I only have experience with regular JCrew stuff but handling both items, I can tell W&B is slightly thicker and slightly better constructed. There are also exclusive colors, one material maybe better than used by regular JCrew items.

yeah I bought the oak color but sent them back; I think black is the best look
I wish the suede color was made in leather and I'd cop those in a second
these are my fav boots but the color in almost anything is impossible to find

:smile:

Just go with this year/last years

I've had both and the leather is almost the exact same color, only real different is the color of the laces and metal lace holes

Last edited:
^ boots are amazing; I wish they would make that gold color again; I am afraid to wear mine regularly :lol:

@locobabay Feeling those Cole Haan's nice pickups

@Sarteaga Jacket looks great man :smokin

I ended up ordering those 1946 Sebago's off Amazon for another fall boot/shoe to wear around and they came in today:

so0p5w.jpg
2ut2kjo.jpg

removed the tag afterwards, I like how they fit though

^ I have the high top version; I am disappointed in the overall quality after you start to wear them

Last edited:
We had this discussion about the H&M collab phenomenon.
Lanvin/ H&M resell prices = actual Lanvin prices. Which quality is better.
Why?

I guess that was my gripe

Well that is a different story altogether. It is by hype, like the Yeezys or Galaxies or whatever limited shoe Nike releases. You simply can't base quality on resale prices.

The Lanvin/Versace x H&M is actually a good example of a collab that somewhat works. You get the Lanvin/Versace style and design that H&M doesn't really produce for a slightly more H&M price. Instead of an H&M $60 blazer or a $1200 Lanvin blazer, you get a $90-$100 LanvinxH&M blazer. Quality may not increase by much but you do get a different aesthetic and design and that is the extra you are paying for.

The same might be the case for GQxGAP, actually looking at GAP right now, a regular GAP leather jacket is already $350.
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=48872&vid=1&pid=244535002
Sure you can get it on sale to lower the price but if people do not jump on the collab then chances are it could go on sale too (likely no chance of that happening though). But really, I do not know how people can complain about a designer collab price when the store sells a jacket for the same price already?

Back
Top Bottom