Dressing Better Vol 2.0

That Farragamo belt is culturally permissible in the corporate setting though. So many people I work with wear it to work sometimes.

I work for a major Private Equity firm btw.

Ferragamo belt doesn't have initials, so that's a moot point. And I was talking corporate when I said "real world". Anyway this discussion has run it's course.

and some LL Bean Duck boots... love these things

excuse all my pics that sometimes might look like ads... I try to find reasons to use my camera and show how items look, website pics are usually pretty horrible

Pictures look awesome, my dude. I took a photography class in college, and it was one of the hardest classest I've ever taken. It legitimately is an amazing art form! And dope duck boots!

Last edited:
Ferragamo has been mentioned several times as a culprit too, people bash rappers for wearing it just as much as LV and Gucci.

And when did "real world" mean corporate? We were talking about belts in general, who would assume it meant corporate settings only? :lol:

But whatever, it is what it is. moving on...

So my local Tailor, whom I've done business with before, is charging $42 for a hemming and $40 for a taper on a pair of jeans. They are also charging $40 for shorting some jacket sleeves. All summed up that's about 130 for all that work. They do great work and have great feed back on their yelp site. Def the best tailor around my area, but that price man.

Both the the jeans and jacket will be worn heavily and I paid a lot for the jeans so I may do it but what do you guys think, worth it?

When you send in a plethora of emails per day, you get used to the style. This is how I actually write via PMs too. I do this usually to new members who I'm not familiar with. If I have an issue with someone, it would be discussed privately.

Today:

Pick up:

I guess that's a (really) early bday present for myself. I was going to get the Laney 5s, but looks like I'll be skipping now.

Dope fit, man. I love the colors.

So my local Tailor, whom I've done business with before, is charging $42 for a hemming and $40 for a taper on a pair of jeans. They are also charging $40 for shorting some jacket sleeves. All summed up that's about 130 for all that work. They do great work and have great feed back on their yelp site. Def the best tailor around my area, but that price man.

Both the the jeans and jacket will be worn heavily and I paid a lot for the jeans so I may do it but what do you guys think, worth it?
Those prices are pretty bad man. For simple jobs like that any half competent tailor will do the trick

Man, that would be way too expensive for me. My tailor charges $20 to take in the midsection of a jacket, $10 for any tapering of pants, and $15-$20 dollars for shortening sleeves depending on if I want the armoholes altered at all. And, no lie, she's the best tailor I've ever had. She evened altered a leather jacket, which is super hard to work with, for me for $40! 

And today to work . . .It's the J.Crew factory blazer that everyone scooped up when they had that insane %50 off sale!

I think that is somewhat where the problem lies, we judge way too much and this isn't a blast on anyone, I am guilty of it too.

Just like when Adrian was going to school with a blazer and people kept saying he was trying to damn hard, we really can't judge him from just that pic alone. He simply liked to dress that way and it was so easy and simple so he wasn't trying hard or showing off at all.

I think we really just got to relax with the judgments, we can't just assume dude who wears an LV belt is a douche.

Just as an example flyknitlvr, you got a Rolex Submariner a few months ago, there is nothing that says "I just made it" than a Rolex watch. This is the stereotypical corporate thinking and is something that is hard to deny but we know you just love the watch but you will also be judged by other who thinks you are just showing off your new found wealth. Not a fair judgement but it happens so at the end of the day, it'll be much better if we can try and not do it ourselves.

You completely missed the point. I'm talking strictly in a corporate setting. Wear whatever the hell you want on the weekend. Heck, I have a striped Gucci belt. I'll judge you all day long if you're coming to your 9-5 (in an office) wearing a suit and a logo belt, and if you were my employee I would send you home. You think any of the big 4 would allow their employees to dress like that? Not a chance. Same goes for many financial firms. It's tacky and sends the wrong message and there's no arguing that.

Unless you work in fashion, this would be a bit over the top. You can't dictate down to the details what an employee can wear to work.

Last edited:

Depending on where you're located, you can get all that done for almost half the price.

Mora 2.0, like this last much better than the neumora

Last edited:
Those prices are pretty bad man. For simple jobs like that any half competent tailor will do the trick

Yea those prices are a bit much. I just got some selvage denim hemmed for $16 so to pay that much for just a hem that's a lot. Hem and taper are probably some of the most basic alterations that any seamstress or tailor should be able to make. I don't even think tailors in the city charge that much.

You think? Will probably look elsewhere then but damn they are some good *** tailors.

Where are you located?

Unless you work in fashion, this would be a bit over the top. You can't dictate down to the details what an employee can wear to work.

Not necessarily true, I know my wife's place of employment has a strict dress code for all their teachers. For women it can't be too short or too tight; but the leave this to the interpretation of leadership to determine if the teacher is wearing something too short or tight. Female teachers can't wear sandals or capris. For men, they must wear a tie, period...and socks; so much for going sockless with loafers if you work there. For everyone their clothes must be pressed and absolutely no boots, of any kind. They can and will send you home and can eventually use this to fire you if it continues.

Man, that would be way too expensive for me. My tailor charges $20 to take in the midsection of a jacket, $10 for any tapering of pants, and $15-$20 dollars for shortening sleeves depending on if I want the armoholes altered at all. And, no lie, she's the best tailor I've ever had. She evened altered a leather jacket, which is super hard to work with, for me for $40! 

And today to work . . .It's the J.Crew factory blazer that everyone scooped up when they had that insane %50 off sale!

I may have to pick that one up too. Mine is similar but it was a thrift pick up for $20.

Depending on where you're located, you can get all that done for almost half the price.

I just dropped off a pair of suit pants for a $12 taper this morning. Asian tailors' pricing>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *. My tailor does a great job and makes everything fit exactly the way I want them to.

Last edited:
Yea those prices are a bit much. I just got some selvage denim hemmed for $16 so to pay that much for just a hem that's a lot. Hem and taper are probably some of the most basic alterations that any seamstress or tailor should be able to make. I don't even think tailors in the city charge that much.
Where are you located?
Not necessarily true, I know my wife's place of employment has a strict dress code for all their teachers. For women it can't be too short or too tight; but the leave this to the interpretation of leadership to determine if the teacher is wearing something too short or tight. Female teachers can't wear sandals or capris. For men, they must wear a tie, period...and socks; so much for going sockless with loafers if you work there. For everyone their clothes must be pressed and absolutely no boots, of any kind. They can and will send you home and can eventually use this to fire you if it continues.
I may have to pick that one up too. Mine is similar but it was a thrift pick up for $20.
You gotta do it, man. It was like $80 after all the discounts at the factory store plus the $20 I paid for tailoring, I made out pretty good!

I think that is somewhat where the problem lies, we judge way too much and this isn't a blast on anyone, I am guilty of it too.

Just like when Adrian was going to school with a blazer and people kept saying he was trying to damn hard, we really can't judge him from just that pic alone. He simply liked to dress that way and it was so easy and simple so he wasn't trying hard or showing off at all.

I think we really just got to relax with the judgments, we can't just assume dude who wears an LV belt is a douche.

Just as an example flyknitlvr, you got a Rolex Submariner a few months ago, there is nothing that says "I just made it" than a Rolex watch. This is the stereotypical corporate thinking and is something that is hard to deny but we know you just love the watch but you will also be judged by other who thinks you are just showing off your new found wealth. Not a fair judgement but it happens so at the end of the day, it'll be much better if we can try and not do it ourselves.

You completely missed the point. I'm talking strictly in a corporate setting. Wear whatever the hell you want on the weekend. Heck, I have a striped Gucci belt. I'll judge you all day long if you're coming to your 9-5 (in an office) wearing a suit and a logo belt, and if you were my employee I would send you home. You think any of the big 4 would allow their employees to dress like that? Not a chance. Same goes for many financial firms. It's tacky and sends the wrong message and there's no arguing that.

Well we aren't talking about corporate setting are we? Was that specified in the discussion anywhere? I specifically said my SA was at NM, that is far from a corporate office. People wear suits to different places and an LV belt worn with it doesn't really bother me.

I know multi-millionare executive that wears Ferragamo belts all the time, that is technically still a logo belt. You kick him out of a business meeting and you just lost a million dollar deal.

That Ferragamo belt is not as loud and obnoxious as a gucci/LV monogram belt. Besides that, I despise when people use one-offs to support ridiculous assertions. For example, Marc Zuckerberg wears a hoody to meetings so you kick him out of a business meeting and you lost a billion dollar deal. That doesn't mean everyone should wear hoodies to work and to meetings.

Men's Wearhouse Interested in Allen Edmonds
A Purchase of the Shoe Retailer Would Complicate Jos. A. Bank's Bid

By DANA MATTIOLI and DANA CIMILLUCA
Updated Oct. 22, 2013 6:08 p.m. ET
Men's Wearhouse Inc. is pursuing a possible purchase of dress-shoe maker Allen Edmonds Corp., according to people familiar with the matter—and Jos. A. Bank Clothiers Inc. has a vested interest in the outcome.

Such a deal would complicate Jos. A. Bank's own unsolicited—and spurned—bid for Men's Wearhouse.

In order to pull off its cash bid for Men's Wearhouse, an offer valued at $2.3 billion, Jos. A. Bank it would need to raise a significant amount of debt. Should Men's Wearhouse succeed in striking a deal for Allen Edmonds, any new debt it might assume for that purchase could diminish Jos. A. Bank's ability to raise those funds, said one of the people familiar with the matter.

It is unclear who else, if anyone, may be bidding for closely held Allen Edmonds, which could fetch a price in the low hundreds of millions of dollars, according to the people. A deal for the company, with Men's Wearhouse or someone else, could be reached next month, one of the people said.

Allen Edmonds is known for its handcrafted leather dress shoes. Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush all wore Allen Edmonds shoes for their inaugurations, the company's website says. The Port Washington, Wis., company, which has some of its own retail stores, began selling shoes in 1922.

This month, Jos. A. Bank offered $48 a share in cash for Men's Wearhouse, but Men's Wearhouse has rejected that bid in part based on the price, according to a person familiar with the matter. Men's Wearhouse, according to people familiar with the matter, has since ignored attempts by its suitor and its advisers to engage in dialogue.

A Jos. A. Bank spokesman said: "We would be pleased to answer any questions the Men's Wearhouse Board might have if they would just talk to us."

Men's Wearhouse reportedly is weighing a bid for shoe maker Allen Edmonds. Minneapolis Star Tribune/Zuma Press

Men's Wearhouse shares currently trade below the offer, indicating investors have some skepticism that Jos. A. Bank will be able to seal the deal. On Tuesday the shares closed down 8 cents Tuesday to $46.54, giving it a market capitalization of $2.22 billion.

Shares of Jos. A. Bank ended flat at $50.11. It is a smaller company by market value, at $1.4 billion.

It isn't clear whether Jos. A. Bank agrees with the strategic rationale of Men's Wearhouse buying Allen Edmonds, which is owned by private-equity firm Goldner Hawn Johnson & Morrison.

A deal would be consistent with Men's Wearhouse acquisition strategy, which lead it to buy Joseph Abboud earlier this year, said one person familiar with the company's thinking.

Men's Wearhouse has more than 1,100 stores across a number of brands including Moores and K&G in addition to its namesake. It specializes in suits, ties, and tuxedos. Buying Allen Edmonds would give Men's Wearhouse a stronger presence in the men's footwear segment, which had $22.3 billion in sales in the U.S. in 2012, according to market research firm Euromonitor International. Right now, Men's Wearhouse mostly sells shoes made by others, although the Joseph Abboud business makes some footwear.

An Allen Edmonds deal also would help Men's Wearhouse inch into a higher end of the market. Allen Edmonds shoes can sell for as much as $545 a pair, and are sold at upscale department stores such as Nordstrom Inc.

Jos. A. Bank is a century-old retailer with over 600 stores across the U.S. While both Men's Wearhouse and Jos. A. Bank specialize in men's apparel, Jos. A. Bank's core customer tends to be older and more affluent than Men's Wearhouse's, Jos. A Bank's chairman has said.

Part of Jos. A. Bank's rationale for a Men's Wearhouse deal is that it could share its manufacturing expertise with Men's Wearhouse, and benefit from Men's Wearhouse's lucrative tuxedo business.

Men's Wearhouse was in the news in June when it ousted co-founder and chairman George Zimmer, who has been the face of the retail chain's advertising. With his gray beard and avuncular way, Mr. Zimmer had defined the Men's Wearhouse image in commercials, delivering his signature line: "You're going to like the way you look. I guarantee it."

At the time, Mr. Zimmer said he had disagreed with the company's direction and "the board has inappropriately chosen to silence my concerns."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303448104579151892364648738

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom