Dressing Better Vol 2.0

i have a couple CDG t's that i still wear. can't lie, im tempted to buy one of these absurdly priced alexander mcqueen t's as well

:lol: Everything's funny.

I don't even know if I checked this morning and got home to see this mess. :x

Honestly, I always viewed this thread as NT's departure from the whole Hypebeast or urbanwear (a term I hate though) thing that has been so prevalent on NT for so long. The whole title of the thread's been beat to death but it sucks. It always tended towards formal, business and business casual but it's good that there's more to it than just that. At the same time, what other thread on NT is someone gonna ask about buying a suit or dress shoes? Not everyone likes SF or is ready for that so for those of us who've moved on from our primary reason of being here being sneakers and what that whole scene has devolved into...here we are.

It sucks if people feel like there's a certain exclusive aspect to it. Sorry for adding to it by posting a denim swatch, I didn't think it was that serious though. Way too much sensitivity IMO.

Anyway, I was pretty disappointed with the Nordstrom sale overall and had been waiting for deeper discounts but there's nothing I really need or ant that badly. I've gone pretty hard there in the past but haven't bought a single thing lately, I've been there and gotten more during non-half yearly sale timeframes...walked right past it and didn't even stop in today.

I often see people hating on graphic tees when it comes to their essentials list. various pinterest stuff, reddit mens fashion, etc etc. I'm curious who else often wears graphic tees. The majority of my dresser drawers are t-shirts by organized by color and  3/4 days out of 7 I'm rocking a tee with something on it. I have stepped it down a bit because I often want to wear a blazer or top coat which looks better with a button down but I'm curious how many of you went whole hog and just threw them all out like some did with sneakers, and who still rocks their older stuff though better fitting of course :wink: 
I still have graphic t's and wear them routinely. Most of mine are from Marc my Marc Jacobs.

This is my fav one, wear it pretty often:

I don't like those graphic ones that have messages though, ie "trust me I'm a doctor" or "I run (insert town)".

So, Winter Sales started around here, and i went to the mall to see what's up. Like i do every winter I've been putting numbers up in the gym, so i'm close to 220 pounds  (@ 6'5") now while still having a six pack.

Walked in Zara, the slim fitted pants literally fit my arms :)) there wasn't one single thing that could fit me in there. Went to Massimo Dutti which make more conservative clothes and classic fits, no pants would even go over my quads, and the single pair I could actually put on was huge in the waist and still looked like tights in the thigh area.

Levi's Chinos = tights, and so on.

This slimming down of everything seems pretty absurd to me, the clothes I bought in the past seemed to be normal fits, but this year it looks like they made clothes just for skinny fellas.

Good thing I have a pretty diversified wardrobe already, cause if i had to buy stuff now, i'd be in some big trouble.

Might need to go bespoken from now on, and save for a few but good quality pieces.

I still have graphic t's and wear them routinely. Most of mine are from Marc my Marc Jacobs.

I don't like those graphic ones that have messages though, ie "trust me I'm a doctor" or "I run (insert town)".

"Don't Sweat My Swag">>>>>>>>>

Understood… to an extent I guess
These can qualify as streetwear since it's not traditional menswear:

As you can see, they do have menswear inspiration.

You have a different style bruh. At least you got the Nas polo

Last edited:
I like graphic/printed tees and shirts, it just has to be the right type of print I like.

For tees, I like stuff like this from Silent.

For shirts, I liked the marble prints Jil had a few seasons ago.

rkan93.jpg

Do not really like the Marcelo Burlon and Givenchy printed tees much though, it's cool to an extent but I do not really want to wear them.

Last edited:
And in these day and age, anything other than a full on business suit can probably be classified as streetwear.

Wear jeans and a sportcoat with some flyknits and that is streetwear.

They definitely overlap now more than ever before, there are grey areas. It isn't as simple as bummy, casual, semi-casual, semi-formal, business, formal, etc... anymore.

And in these day and age, anything other than a full on business suit can probably be classified as streetwear.

They definitely overlap now more than ever before, there are grey areas. It isn't as simple as bummy, casual, semi-casual, semi-formal, business, formal, etc... anymore.
Can't say I agree.

Say if I was to wear a solid oxford, nice slim jeans, and then clarks.....is that streetwear?

Can't say I agree.

Say if I was to wear a solid oxford, nice slim jeans, and then clarks.....is that streetwear?

TODAY I SAY YES

BUT I KNOW WHERE U ARE COMING FRON AS MY INITIAL INTRO TO STREETWEAR WAS THAT OF SUPREME BAPE STUSSY HUBDREDS ETC

TODAY I TAG STREETWEAR MORE THANN MENSWEAR

HOWEVER WE ARE ALL DRESSKF BETTER

So streetwear is anything that is not a suit and dress shoes? Because I've always known streetwear to be based on urban lifestyles whether it be skaters or hip hop heads or hipsters. I've classed suits with being just menswear. You don't rock a suit to go to the groccery store or to class unless the time calls for it.

Growing up streetwear was urban based brands like LRG, Stussy, CC, HUF, Supreme, 10deep, UNDFT, Diamond Supply, Ecko, Akademics, stuff like that. To this day streetwear is still defined by the majority of those brands.

I wouldn't call a nice button down and jeans streetwear at all. I'd say its more dress casual wear.

For me

Suits= business attire/menswear

Button down and jeans= Dress casual(if I'm going on a simple dinner date or something)

Tees and shorts and sneakers = Casual wear(and depending on the brands or style your rocking it can be classed as streetwear_

Last edited:
Speaking of the basics, Any of you own or have owned any John Elliot items? I like the simple items that I can wear everyday and a good quality hoodie or tee is worth extra money if it is indeed good quality

also i love the design of these hoodies, but I'd like to find a legit place to buy them

Men-s-jackets-jerseys-dust-coat-outwear-clothing-winter-hoody-jacketsSide-zipper-Double-zipper-grey-wine.jpg

Last edited:
So streetwear is anything that is not a suit and dress shoes? Because I've always known streetwear to be based on urban lifestyles whether it be skaters or hip hop heads or hipsters. I've classed suits with being just menswear. You don't rock a suit to go to the groccery store or to class unless the time calls for it.

Why can't I wear what I want, when I want?

Speaking of graphic t's this is the only one I have and the women love it.

She is wearing my tank and I have a tee.

I wear it mostly to hipster places.

Saw a version at Urban Outfitters years ago and I had one made up.

Last edited:
Naw, I need a belt, I inherited a booty.

This. Having an extra slim waist size with relatively big glutes and thighs makes it impossible for me to not need a belt.

My waist size is 29-30 but the rest only fits into 32-33s :lol: :smh: having the proportions of a woman FTL when it comes to buying clothes, but at least the women find it attractive :lol:

PREACH, thats why I gotta fly the straight and narrow cause if I go to jail with my butt and thighs, I will more than likely be somebodies "B".

Growing up streetwear was urban based brands like LRG, Stussy, CC, HUF, Supreme, 10deep, UNDFT, Diamond Supply, Ecko, Akademics, stuff like that. To this day streetwear is still defined by the majority of those brands.

I wouldn't call a nice button down and jeans streetwear at all. I'd say its more dress casual wear.

For me

Suits= business attire/menswear

Button down and jeans= Dress casual(if I'm going on a simple dinner date or something)

Tees and shorts and sneakers = Casual wear(and depending on the brands or style your rocking it can be classed as streetwear_

Everything evolves and technically, anything casual can be categorized as streetwear now. Like I said, it isn't as black and white, they are shades of gray where things overlap.

Back then, wearing bball shorts and a hoody is probably categorized as sportwear but now, that is simply streetwear now. Sweatpants used to be nothing but for bumming out but now there are luxury sweats that can be worn casually, some wear it with sport coats. Now it has evolved to joggers, where it is a combination of chino but in sweatpants cut with cuffed leg opening and that is mostly streetwear. That's how things evolve and change.

Brands doesn't have to determine streetwear anymore, I mean Stussy has button downs and if that is worn with a chino and boat shoes, it isn't steetwear anymore? But according to you, it is streetwear because of the brand. Again grey areas, you just cannot categorize it in a single column.

And again, you need to open up your eyes and explore the rest of the world, that isn't a knock on you but it is true. Back in the 20's and 30's, people wore tweed coats all the time and everywhere, along with boots and button ups. They can be farming and they'd wear those so yes, technically they are considered casual and regular wear. You just got accustomed to your surroundings wearing different clothes and that is fine but there is a whole different world in other parts of the country. You go to a more preppy side of the city or coutry, you'll see polo shirts and chinos and boat shoes as casual wear and when it gets cold at night, whether they are going to the groceries or need to pump gas in their car, they'd put a sport coat if that is what they grew up wearing. Trust me, I know a few who does this even before all these fashion blogs ever existed and yes dude got clowned in high school for wearing it but that's his style. Hell eventually Ecko, Phat Farm, Sean John, etc... adapted polos too, they just made it 4x bigger in size and wore it while sagging jeans and that became "streetwear"?

Here's an example, to you this may look too "formal" but people do go out for groceries or to run errands dressed like this, they do not have to go on a date or be in a nice dinner to dress like this. They could simply go out to see a movie or grab a burger at In&Out and it would not be out of place at all.

Is streetwear the first thing that comes to mind when you see a guy dressed like this? Probably not but if you think about it, it is streetwear because it is still rather casual.

At the end of the day, you can have your own definition of what "streetwear" is but you really have to be more open-minded with how others dress, people dress different ways in different parts of the world, different levels of society, different standing at work, etc... It's really no different than Timbs of Pelle Pelle being a NY staple (according to Ninja) while in SoCal, Pelle Pelle has been dead because there just isn't a market for it because it doesn't get that cold. Same way that when it gets cold, not everyone has to have goosedown because 40-50 degrees in SoCal is freezing while in Toronto, people could probably walk around in shirts and hoody and chill on their patio while grilling some steak. :lol:

Again and I cannot emphasize this enough because I know you can take this to the heart but it not a knock on you when I say be more open-minded, it is a friendly advice especially if you frequent this thread because you will see it often and we really can't argue about it every single time. It doesn't have to always make sense to you, you just have to try and understand and if you can't fathom it, then simply move on. Again, no hate there or insult intended at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom