Dressing Better Vol 2.0

last i checked this thread is called dressing better not dressing like your straight out of gq. for me its transitioning out of jays and graphic tees to something more my age or atleast closer to it. so that means incorporating more color coordination vs matching. cutting out graphic tees and throwing in the casual shirt here and there. i really dont understand the bickering every 20 pages or so about the same thing. im not one to hop on nuts but steezys style represents him and its always these september october dudes bashing people left and right. your not going to find me buying a pair of AE or a MTM suit anytime soon but best believe you wont find square toe shoes or buying a suit too big for me in the future.

An old photo of me and my go to hell pants:

Lack of originality. Seen this kind of fit and even the pose so many times. IMO, this is not dressing better.

Lack of originality. Seen this kind of fit and even the pose so many times. IMO, this is not dressing better. Seems thats what a lot of you think dressing better is.

Lack of originality. Seen this kind of fit and even the pose so many times. IMO, this is not dressing better. Seems thats what a lot of you think dressing better is.
I agree I think most of the DB crowd seems like they looked in a mens magazine and was like I'm going to swaggerjack my style from there. I don't even understand some of the stuff dudes are equating to dressing better like not wearing sneakers, graphic tees, etc. You can wear these things and still DB as long as it fits nicely imo. Dudes have to do what works for them though but I like Steezy and others stuff not for me but on them its cool.

Lack of originality? This is why it's called timeless style, my friend. It looked good 100 years ago. It looks good now. It will always look good. The proportion is on point, down to the way he tied his tie to account for the spread collar. And there's only so many poses you can do :lol:

Everything is in congruent, from the linen jacket to the cotton trousers to no socks, which implies he's in a hot climate region and/or it's summer time.

Today for me:

Been wanting to wear the cap for a while now. The weather finally permits.

I agree I think most of the DB crowd seems like they looked in a mens magazine and was like I'm going to swaggerjack my style from there. I don't even understand some of the stuff dudes are equating to dressing better like not wearing sneakers, graphic tees, etc. You can wear these things and still DB as long as it fits nicely imo. Dudes have to do what works for them though but I like Steezy and others stuff not for me but on them its cool.
I still wear t shirts. I have a good amount to counter the seriousness of the suits. I picked this up yesterday:
tumblr_mc7ziqcOrE1rux7jzo1_500.jpg

However, I've said this before and will say again. There's nothing better looking on a man than a well fitting suit. It's timeless elegance.

I still wear t shirts. I have a good amount to counter the seriousness of the suits. I picked this up yesterday:
tumblr_mc7ziqcOrE1rux7jzo1_500.jpg

However, I've said this before and will say again. There's nothing better looking on a man than a well fitting suit. It's timeless elegance.

I like this shirt. I know it's Marc Jacobs but info?

USA: it's Marc by MJ. I picked it up yesterday from their store in Los Angeles at $28.

WJ4 it wasn't you I forgot but I've heard dudes on this I wanna DB so I'm not wearing graphic tees, sneaks, things like that. Stuff like that just make me smh like don't be a sheep wear what you want not what others consider DB or dressing mature.

WJ4 it wasn't you I forgot but I've heard dudes on this I wanna DB so I'm not wearing graphic tees, sneaks, things like that. Stuff like that just make me smh like don't be a sheep wear what you want not what others consider DB or dressing mature.

I get what you mean and fit is definitely important but at least when I think of graphic tees I envision this, which is too OD and not a good look imo:

215-situation-club-wear.jpg

And there's nothing wrong with taking cues and advice from other people's style...you dont wanna go and cop every item someone has a wear it the exact same way they do but its about taking bits and pieces and tying that in with your own personal taste...some things posted in here I know I wouldn't personally wear myself (due to the color or the type of item) but thats the great thing about this thread, you can still appreciate something b/c you know it fits with what that person's style is, and it may even give you a better idea of how to incorporate something you wouldn't normally consider wearing or may not know how to until you see another fit :smokin

Lack of originality? This is why it's called timeless style, my friend. It looked good 100 years ago. It looks good now. It will always look good. The proportion is on point, down to the way he tied his tie to account for the spread collar. And there's only so many poses you can do
laugh.gif

Everything is in congruent, from the linen jacket to the cotton trousers to no socks, which implies he's in a hot climate region and/or it's summer time.
Today for me:

Been wanting to wear the cap for a while now. The weather finally permits.

pics of somebody wearing those red pants 100 years ago?

Some of the current discussion is just redundant and ridiculous.

Just because you see the fit in all the fashion mags doesn't mean it is lack of originality. I can walk around in LA for a whole day likely encounter one or two people that dress that way, actually chances are high that I won't see anyone wear that kind of fit at all.

And no one is saying no sneakers at all, hell I wear sneakers all the time, it is about the choice of sneakers. It is more difficult to pull off gigantic AriMaxes on your feet and look that great, yes personal preference but it is still a big, bulky, hulking pair of shoes that tends to be really busy with design and clashing colorways.

And yes, there are rules in "dressing better", it isn't always personal preference. If you go to a job interview and wear in 3XL tee and Ecko jorts that is sagged to your knees and another wears a suit, even if it is ill-fitting, then chances are you will lose out on that job. The general rule is, wear something work appropriate to your environment. That is a "RULE". You aren't going to be wearing Moncler puffer jacket in Texas in June/July, that maybe your preference but that is still breaking a "rule" and you'll just look ridiculous. So yes, there are rules, whether to follow or break those to accommodate your own style, that is up to you. I break them all the time but to a certain extent.

At the end, this thread is still a guideline. Enter for advice and comments, some of it you will disagree and others you won't, it really is a fine line on preference and how one is viewed and even regular posters here can argue one over the other, WJ4 and KSteezy and I doesn't always see eye-to-eye but that is what is good about the thread, it isn't linear to one style. We aren't always dressing up like Nii with his suits or KSteezy with his Toms but it opens it up for discussion (a mature one hopefully) in hopes that ot helps you develop your own style and really just get away from the says of size 40 Phat Farms jeans and XXL Ecko colorful tees/polos when you weigh 150lbs.

Some of the current discussion is just redundant and ridiculous.
Just because you see the fit in all the fashion mags doesn't mean it is lack of originality. I can walk around in LA for a whole day likely encounter one or two people that dress that way, actually chances are high that I won't see anyone wear that kind of fit at all.
And no one is saying no sneakers at all, hell I wear sneakers all the time, it is about the choice of sneakers. It is more difficult to pull off gigantic AriMaxes on your feet and look that great, yes personal preference but it is still a big, bulky, hulking pair of shoes that tends to be really busy with design and clashing colorways.
And yes, there are rules in "dressing better", it isn't always personal preference. If you go to a job interview and wear in 3XL tee and Ecko jorts that is sagged to your knees and another wears a suit, even if it is ill-fitting, then chances are you will lose out on that job. The general rule is, wear something work appropriate to your environment. That is a "RULE". You aren't going to be wearing Moncler puffer jacket in Texas in June/July, that maybe your preference but that is still breaking a "rule" and you'll just look ridiculous. So yes, there are rules, whether to follow or break those to accommodate your own style, that is up to you. I break them all the time but to a certain extent.
At the end, this thread is still a guideline. Enter for advice and comments, some of it you will disagree and others you won't, it really is a fine line on preference and how one is viewed and even regular posters here can argue one over the other, WJ4 and KSteezy and I doesn't always see eye-to-eye but that is what is good about the thread, it isn't linear to one style. We aren't always dressing up like Nii with his suits or KSteezy with his Toms but it opens it up for discussion (a mature one hopefully) in hopes that ot helps you develop your own style and really just get away from the says of size 40 Phat Farms jeans and XXL Ecko colorful tees/polos when you weigh 150lbs.
HEAVY DISAGREE. Air Maxes are just as welcomed as new balances

I'll break this down for y'all who don't understand.

THERE ARE NO RULES TO DRESSING BETTER. YOU CAN WEAR A 3XL TEE AND BOOTS ALL YOU WANT. If you wanna wear animal print thong toms with period pants, that's completely fine.

However, there are consequences like you stated, probably won't get that business job rocking your 4x  LRG shirt.

Lets agree to that bros.

Last edited:

THERE ARE NO RULES TO DRESSING BETTER. YOU CAN WEAR A 3XL TEE AND BOOTS ALL YOU WANT. If you wanna wear animal print thong toms with period pants, that's completely fine.

However, there are consequences like you stated, probably won't get that business job rocking your 4x  LRG shirt.

Lets agree to that bros.

No, I am sorry but you are wrong. 3XL tee and size 40 jeans sagged to your knees is simply not "dressing better". You seem to be the one who do not understand. What you are talking about is choice and just because no one "governs" these so called "rules" doesn't mean there aren't any. It is a rule not to wear brown shoes with a black suit simply because it looks terrible but can you do it? You certainly can, you can dress as trashy and crappily as you please but that is due to free will. Just like you disagreeing with this, free will.

But in the end, this thread is built on rules and guidelines on what people could or should do or follow. If you do not see it that way, no disrespect but the thread just simply isn't for you.

No, I am sorry but you are wrong. 3XL tee and size 40 jeans sagged to your knees is simply not "dressing better". You seem to be the one who do not understand. What you are talking about is choice and just because no one "governs" these so called "rules" doesn't mean there aren't any. It is a rule not to wear brown shoes with a black suit simply because it looks terrible but can you do it? You certainly can, you can dress as trashy and crappily as you please but that is due to free will. Just like you disagreeing with this, free will.
But in the end, this thread is built on rules and guidelines on what people could or should do or follow. If you do not see it that way, no disrespect but the thread just simply isn't for you.
The thread is built upon opinion of what we think is dressing better. There are no rules boss. Some things you guys post, I think look odd, others I think look amazing. Thats what it is.

Lets agree to that bros.

The thread is built upon opinion of what we think is dressing better. There are no rules boss. Some things you guys post, I think look odd, others I think look amazing. Thats what it is.

Whatever dude, just move on and stop peddling the "there are no rules" thing all over the thread. We get it, in your 80 something posts in the forum, it seems like half is about "there are no rules" mantra.

No matter how you look at it, the opinions being posted are built on rules and guidelines. Again as an example, brown shoes and black suit is terrible together and that has become a rule because it is true. It is terrible. So that is a rule/guideline to follow. You can do it if you want but that would be breaking that "rule".

Last edited:
I think too much time is being spent on this, I see the argument from both sides. Tbh 90% of the stuff posted in here isn't my idea of dressing better but the term is open to interpretation.

Sidenote: Anyone gotten an army fatigue jackets tailored or any advice on getting a jacket tailored in general? :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom