Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Quick review guys have a presentation today at school. H&M suit I copped over the weekend need to find a tailor for the suit since the the 40R was little to big and this 38R is a little snug.

this thing is small as hell on you

Quick review guys have a presentation today at school. H&M suit I copped over the weekend need to find a tailor for the suit since the the 40R was little to big and this 38R is a little snug.
You should also size up on those pants...look like they finna pop when you sit down...

Anyone here have a smoking jacket? Where can I find one?
Anyone ?

All jokes aside, check out Tom Ford, McQueen, LV, Brioni, Turnbull & Asser, Paul Stuart, etc... Lots of Savile Row brands like Gieves & Hawkes, Hardy Aimes, Henry Poole, etc..

Brooks Brothers used to sell some, not sure if they still do.

Might be easier to look for (and wear) a modern smoking/dinner jacket rather than a Hugh-Heffner-robe.

i dont have a smoking jacket per se but do have several velvet blazers/dinner jackets. those are widely available.

RFX with the price point unheard of by my wallet... :lol:

My b on not specifying. If I could land specifically a white dinner jacket for like 3-4 hundo's that would be splendid

RFX with the price point unheard of by my wallet... :lol:

My b on not specifying. If I could land specifically a white dinner jacket for like 3-4 hundo's that would be splendid

http://us.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Slim-F...7&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=White&r=2

For other affordable and modern dinner jackets, Topman & Zara will probably have what you are looking for, maybe even Express. Suitsupply and Indochino might have some choices too.

Spaking of Indochino, their travelling tailor is coming to LA: http://www.indochino.com/traveling-tailor/la

LA FEB 21 - MAR 2
Beverly Atrium
350 S Beverly Dr.
Beverly Hills

Mon - Fri: 8am to 8pm
Sat: 9am to 8pm
Sun: 10am to 7pm

Buyers remorse since they didn't have it in walnut. You guys like the Strand in Bourbon?

(Will be wearing it with a navy suit during a conference and dark denim after)

Last edited:
I'm talking about one that resembles a robe more than a dinner jacket. Just something to wear around the house.

Buyers remorse since they didn't have it in walnut. You guys like the Strand in Bourbon?

(Will be wearing it with a navy suit during a conference and dark denim after)

Bourbon color is nice, sometimes I like it just as much as Walnut

A closer color to this is salmon which is a common color for shorts/chinos. Go with something in the blue/navy family and you should be golden.

Yes, Salmon was the colour I'm thinking about. Thanks.

And don't get confused I'm not talking about the shoe. I just searched for infrared orange and the pair of Jordans came up.

So blue/navy jacket, and salmon base layer under the jacket?

Bourbon is so much better than walnut IMO. Used to be all about that walnut life...however now doe? Dark brown >

Thanks for the input fellas, think I might just hang onto them.

HOWEVER, they squeak. I'm not entirely sure where the squeak is coming from but will it go away? Google tells me yes it will and no it won't so I have no idea. I didn't notice the squeak in the store because there was music playing.

The J. Crew Ludlow trousers are pretty slim. If you can fit into their 484 jean, then it probably would fit you. I almost always tailor my trousers somehow, be it take in the crotch or seat. But these only needed hemming since I bought the last pair in my waist size, but not inseam length. If you can score them on sale, it's a good buy.

As I mentioned before, I recently dyed a pair of my Margiela side zips from Grey to Black. This is a bit of a how to, in case anyone is interested in doing the same.

Cost of boots aside, it's a fairly cheap process but it takes time and patience. I used Fiebing's Leather Dye which I bought from Ebay. I bought the 4oz bottle, which was more than enough. The bottle comes with an applicator, which seemed to work just fine. If anyone needs a link, feel free to send me a PM.

I started by wiping down the entire boot with warm water, ensuring that it was completely ridden of any dirt, excess polish, etc. I laid down a decent amount of paper towels as well, in the case that some spilled.

Cleaned&Before dyeing:

First coat: If anyone decides to do this, be sure that you lightly dip the applicator in the bottle, and apply it in a circular motion. This helps guarantee an even distribution.

Second coat: Not much of a noticeable difference in pictures

After the second coat, I used a rough rag to wipe off excess dye. (The brand name of the rag escapes me, but they're the same ones I use to work on my bike. The kind of rag that everyone has at least one of laying around in their garage.)

The reason why I opted for a rough rag is that it helps to reduce the shine, as I wanted the boots to have a matte finish. The rougher surface also helps remove excess dye more efficiently than something smoother.

Dried & wiped down:

After they dryed, I also steamed them. I had never done this before, but apparently steaming them was supposed to help remove any remaining gloss. It worked excellently, to my surprise.

Since I did this, they've been worn several times. I'm content with the result, and now I have this overwhelming desire to alter more of my stuff.

What I forgot to mention is that when I did this, I wanted to keep at least one thing from the original boot. I decided to keep the small tab on the back grey.

If anyone has any questions what so ever, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Last edited:
Wow thats a pretty nice job.

Real test is how they will hold up after multiple wears, especially in the areas that crease. You think they will hold up or will a re-application be needed?

Anyone know what The Daltons were going for in the recent Allen Edmonds second sale?  I may try to drive out to the factory today and see if they'll still give it to me if they were 50% off.

Last edited:
Real test is how they will hold up after multiple wears, especially in the areas that crease. You think they will hold up or will a re-application be needed?

I'm pretty sure it'll hold up, the leather absorbs the dye and not really a coating on top of the leather that will flake off. He probably just have to keep up with a conditioning and/or black polish here and there, which is just regular maintenance for shoes/boots anyways.

Great job by the way unknown, shoes looks great.

Back
Top Bottom