Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Anyone have any experience with the J.Crew Thompson? Should I even bother with it?

Yeah I've tried it on in store and it's great for the price. I recall it dropping to the $180 range for the jacket and pants (plus another $40 to add the matching waistcoat) a few months ago so I wouldn't pay much more than that for it. There's a solid review of the suit up on dappered.com.

Antidope, what's your build like?
In the illustrious words of Al Audi I am "skinny fat, the worst physique a man can have".

I'm 5'8 163 and my frame is tiny but not as lean as K Steezy who if I remember right is around the same height and weighs the same.

Anyone have any experience with the J.Crew Thompson? Should I even bother with it?

Yeah I've tried it on in store and it's great for the price. I recall it dropping to the $180 range for the jacket and pants (plus another $40 to add the matching waistcoat) a few months ago so I wouldn't pay much more than that for it. There's a solid review of the suit up on dappered.com.
Gonna google that thanks. I still have a 25% coupon from there so I'm seriously contemplating on buying it.

You are right around my size. I am 5'10" 165lbs. I would say pony up a hundo more and go TaT or SS. You might pay a tad more after alterations but they will far surpass jcf or express (*typing in my express glenplaid at work :lol: *).

If there is no budging, go JCF if you can get for no more than $200. Spend what you need to alter.

Really can't judge people by their height and weight alone plus the 2" difference is a lot bigger than you think. The norm/over/under weight can swing 5-10 lbs easily with an inch difference in height.

At the end of the day though, there are some who has a long torso and others short, same with legs and arms. Some can be the same height and weight while one is built with muscle while the other could have a beer belly, one could have tiny shoulders while another could have huge traps.

This is what makes tailors more important because those little differences are what they fix.

You are right around my size. I am 5'10" 165lbs. I would say pony up a hundo more and go TaT or SS. You might pay a tad more after alterations but they will far surpass jcf or express (*typing in my express glenplaid at work
laugh.gif
*).

If there is no budging, go JCF if you can get for no more than $200. Spend what you need to alter.
Theres a SS in my City so I planned on going there this weekend anyways to see what they can do for me. I also plan to get measured after work because I have basically forgettn my measurements and want to do this right. I dont think the slimming down I want to do will really affect much in terms of tailoring.

Really can't judge people by their height and weight alone plus the 2" difference is a lot bigger than you think. The norm/over/under weight can swing 5-10 lbs easily with an inch difference in height.

At the end of the day though, there are some who has a long torso and others short, same with legs and arms. Some can be the same height and weight while one is built with muscle while the other could have a beer belly, one could have tiny shoulders while another could have huge traps.

This is what makes tailors more important because those little differences are what they fix.
I plan on losing weight before I even take these to a tailor, I would love to drop 10 pounds or so. Ideally I want to get much leaner, I'm too short and my frame is too tiny to go with any other look

Last edited:

I get what you mean. However, I wanted to gauge at least for height and weight since TaT has restrictions.

As for basing off my size, Elkin and I are similar builds (he's just shorter) and Anti mentioned he's similar as well. These criteria are what I used as my basis.

That's okay, sweetheart.  I got a couple pairs of slim sweatpants like 3 years ago and didn't realize everyone was gonna call them joggers and wear them around on a daily basis as a replacement for other pants.  Like they're all that exist now.

First, I'm not even saying there's anything wrong with them right now, get on that wave and ride the **** out of it (pause).  

Second, grown *** men were also wearing tall tees and pants that were 5 sizes too big or suits that didn't come close to fitting.  I also said I'm fine with basic ones but joints with prints, big *** cuffs, etc and wearing them on an everyday basis?  No.  

****, people thought bootcut jeans were cool and "too clean of a look" not that long ago, relatively speaking.  I'm just saying it's a trend and a lot of it is gonna be regrettable.  Maybe not the beet examples but I really don't feel like searching for more than a minute:
I have 2 pairs of "joggers", but only wear them to the gym/park or to sleep in them when I'm not home :smile: .

I really hate trends, like I stated a few times already, so I hate jumping on all these trains, but I think everything has it's place and time.

For example I still wear all my bootcut jeans with, you guessed it... Boots :smile:. The proportions seem better for me. Wearing a size 11.5/12 slim fitting pants and boots in that size make me look like Ronald McDonald,  so wearing boot cut pants/jeans even it out. 

There's a big difference between being a full on trend hopper and incorporating new trends into the style you already have. Just don't compromise your style or let the clothes wear you, it's easy to spot those cats.

Last edited:
NT need some help choosing a suit or just a chic looking outfit for a wedding. It's at a resort on the beach at the end of May. Need some ideas. Was thinking khaki with a checkered shirt. Something along the lines of this but cleaner and more tailored, maybe different colors.

I'm the worst at this 
embarassed.gif

Maybe something a little simpler

Last edited:
Figured I'd throw some Earth tones in...

This is awesome, man. The larger leg opening works well for your frame. Surprisingly I like the sneakers too, with the context of the outfit.

NT need some help choosing a suit or just a chic looking outfit for a wedding. It's at a resort on the beach at the end of May. Need some ideas. Was thinking khaki with a checkered shirt. Something along the lines of this but cleaner and more tailored, maybe different colors.

I'm the worst at this :wow:  

Khaki is a good choice.

If you want something strictly for that outing and/or if it's going to be outdoors and hot as heck, go for cotton and unlined. If you want something that's more usable year-round, go look at lightweight wool. I personally love khaki and gingham shirts too.

Today:

This is awesome, man. The larger leg opening works well for your frame. Surprisingly I like the sneakers too, with the context of the outfit.
Khaki is a good choice.

If you want something strictly for that outing and/or if it's going to be outdoors and hot as heck, go for cotton and unlined. If you want something that's more usable year-round, go look at lightweight wool. I personally love khaki and gingham shirts too.

Today:

Thanks a lot, that's what I love about RRL chinos. They sit well despite a larger leg opening. The sneakers (Dior Homme) blend well with a casual semi-formal look that works as well. Kind words are much appreciated again.

I didn't see this posted anywhere but Charles Tyrwhitt is having a major sale on their dress shirts through their website. $140-$160 shirts on sale for $29.50. I just ordered 8 shirts. They accept PayPal as well. www.ctshirts.com

Figured I'd throw some Earth tones in...
Well done, I like it.  Some really cool looking houses in the background too.

I'm the worst at this 
embarassed.gif

I like the gingham + khaki suit combo, it's classic but maybe a lighter blue/more subtle gingham than in the 1st pic.  That with a darker blue chambray tie could be nice, kinda similar to the overall look of the 2nd pic you posted and go with something bold for the pocket square.

Last edited:
I dunno they might've been pointing at my shoes now that I think about it. I was wearing '94 bred 1s with them that day and the bright red does draw a lot of attention. I just assumed they were the pants because they're new and unusual to me. These are the pants, this pic is from Sunday when I wore them again. They are Publish brand.
I see I see..... Those pair looks better than the usual pants I see. Looks good with the rough creases compared to the tights/smooth look ...

I didn't see this posted anywhere but Charles Tyrwhitt is having a major sale on their dress shirts through their website. $140-$160 shirts on sale for $29.50. I just ordered 8 shirts. They accept PayPal as well. www.ctshirts.com
So much stuff is sold out. I do need more solid shirts though, gonna search and see what I can find.

What about shoes? I'm in need of some shoes, black and brown ones. I've seen Allen Edmond Seconds discussed in here quite frequently :nerd:

Last edited:
So much stuff is sold out. I do need more solid shirts though, gonna search and see what I can find.

What about shoes? I'm in need of some shoes, black and brown ones. I've seen Allen Edmond Seconds discussed in here quite frequently :nerd:
Folks usually buy when the 2 for $250 is in effect.

What about shoes? I'm in need of some shoes, black and brown ones. I've seen Allen Edmond Seconds discussed in here quite frequently
nerd.gif
Folks usually buy when the 2 for $250 is in effect.
How often does that happen? I wont mind waiting if I wouldnt have to wait for than 2.5 months or so.

Nah, Queens Village. But I could see how you'd say Laurelton lol.  A lot of the roofs on houses are like that in Laurelton.

Yeah, that's what I was going off of. On closer look, the house on the right doesn't have the roof shingles like the one on the left. In Laurelton, nearly every other house has those red roof shingles lol.

Back
Top Bottom