Dressing Better Vol 2.0

You can't dye bleached items. It will take the dye, but the bleached spot will be noticeable especially in the sun. More time in the sun the worse it will get.

Its not my L so I'm good 
laugh.gif

Appreciate the insight though.

The only way to fully cover up a discoloration due to bleach or stain removal is to dye the garment black, otherwise the discoloration will always be visible. I had a light beige cotton knit blazer that the cleaners messed up when trying to remove a small stain. I initially used a dark grey dye but the spot was still ever-so-slightly visible (probably only to me). After contacting a professional dying service, they recommended to dye it black. The result was very good, the spot is gone, and I actually prefer the look of the blazer in black. Not all materials will take dye and there are certain precautions to be aware of if you want to do it yourself (it's pretty easy). PM me if you want some recommendations or info.

- Brovsko

The only way to fully cover up a discoloration due to bleach or stain removal is to dye the garment black, otherwise the discoloration will always be visible. I had a light beige cotton knit blazer that the cleaners messed up when trying to remove a small stain. I initially used a dark grey dye but the spot was still ever-so-slightly visible (probably only to me). After contacting a professional dying service, they recommended to dye it black. The result was very good, the spot is gone, and I actually prefer the look of the blazer in black. Not all materials will take dye and there are certain precautions to be aware of if you want to do it yourself (it's pretty easy). PM me if you want some recommendations or info.

- Brovsko
Not going to work. I just tried to dye a white shirt with a bleach stain. It took the dye but the bleach stain was still clear as day. The shirt was black but the bleach spot was a discolored black. I'm not racist.

Last edited:
those prices are up there sheesh

i felt guilty coppin villain hoodies on sale now they want $300 for the new style :lol: buggin

QFT.

Love JE stuff as much as the next person, but their prices are starting to get a little unreasonable IMO.

Seems like **** really hit the fan today in the SF thread today. Had me like
tZOS8.gif

:rofl: thread was a mess.

That thread is a war zone. I fell out when they posted the theme as new slaves

Criticism will always go with success.
Especially when they overcharging as much as JE is.

Just to go back to the topic of dyeing:

Here is a pic of the blazer in its original color:

Here it is after dyeing. Pardon the poor quality pics, they were not taken by me.

- Brovsko

Did this have a bleach stain?

This did not have bleach stains but it did have a light spot from whatever the cleaner attempted to remove a food stain with. I agree with you that, generally speaking, bleach stains cannot be dyed over because the bleach actually damages the fabric and changes it's absorption properties. In some cases, if the spots are light or haven't fully set in yet, there is a chance to repair. I've used Dylon dyes with good results. Here is what they have to say:

http://www.dylon.com.au/repair-bleach-damage.htm

My photos were meant to share the merits of dying for slightly discolored articles. I wouldn't recommend it for serious bleach stains as thenewjs23 pointed out.

- Brovsko

Last edited:
Criticism will always go with success.
Especially when they overcharging as much as JE is.

I'm along for the ride until the khaki pants/jeans drop. After that I shall vanish until further notice.

Thanks, man. Timing was clutch too. It was hard to find a good pair of single monkstraps since the dubs have been bastardized for the last few years. NoManWalksAlone was running a sale and one was left in my size.

I've been trying to sell that Prada sweater for a while, but only got lowballers so I said I'll just keep it :lol:

Would be dope if other cats can link up though. Taking picture by yourself is a struggle at times :lol:

@wj4 , best LUDLOW slim shirt alternatives?

Also, Anyone have info on single or double monks, black, Fairly priced?

I wear a lot of AE now, but not looking to spend AE full retail right now.

Looking to save a couple dollars, so hopefully the ludlow alternative is cheaper as well... Don't want to compromise on fit though, so if the fit isn't there I'll stick with the ludlow

@wj4 , best LUDLOW slim shirt alternatives?

Also, Anyone have info on single or double monks, black, Fairly priced?

I wear a lot of AE now, but not looking to spend AE full retail right now.

Looking to save a couple dollars, so hopefully the ludlow alternative is cheaper as well... Don't want to compromise on fit though, so if the fit isn't there I'll stick with the ludlow
Ludlow shirts are garbage, man. I bought one because I had a $50 gift card, one of the worst J. Crew purchases ever. Even more laughable at the $98 retail price. Most of my dress shirts are from mytailor.com, their 2 ply is around $80-100, and the Thomas Mason is about $120...all are way superior to the J. Crew, and those are made to measure. You can tell them what kind of collar you want, where you want the shirt to curve so it hits your waist right, etc.

moderntailor is the cheaper choice. A lot of folks use them, I'm just not one of them.

The fit is easy, spend $15-20 at a tailor and they can slim down the sides and arms. When I was in undergrad when J. Crew and BR's slim fit were still baggy, I had them all taken in. As long as the sleeve length and neck fit you nicely, you can tailor the sides and be good.

I personally wouldn't go lower than AE on footwear. Either save up or wait for a sale.

Brooks Brothers is having a pretty nice clearance sale. Got 3 shirts for around 150, looks like it added corporate membership discount as well

Also heard good things about Lands End "tailored fit" trousers, took advantage of their 20% off sale and got a pair for 39.99. Pretty sure I'm going to have to do additional alterations but not a bad price if the quality is okay.

Last edited:
Also heard good things about Lands End "tailored fit" trousers, took advantage of their 20% off sale and got a pair for 39.99. Pretty sure I'm going to have to do additional alterations but not a bad price if the quality is okay.
was this in store (sears) or online? the website has everything full price so I'm assuming its in store...

It was online, they were actually chinos but some of the wool trousers are on sale as well. Then the added 20% off with code SPECIAL and pin 2564

Back
Top Bottom