Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I would say black shoes but a navy suit would look better with the shirt and shoes up there.

but i also would say wait for the other guys opinions.

I agree. A navy or charcoal suit would look better but depending on how short notice it is you may not have time to get a well fitting one OTR. I say if it's cutting it too close wear some black shoes. Also, engineers really don't care about attire so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Good luck bro

So I have a pretty short notice job interview coming up with a big defense contractor as an entry level engineer.  Am I breaking too many rules by wearing black to an interview with brown AE's? Got a potato pic of what I was planning to wear. 

Black Banana Republic suit with blue windowpane shirt.

Does this look okay or should I just go get a navy or charcoal suit?

Thanks in advance!
Navy or Charcoal would be preferred but it won't be the end of the world if you have to wear black. I worked for a defense contractor this summer and the engineers didn't dress very well for the most part, so they may not even notice. 

Navy or Charcoal would be preferred but it won't be the end of the world if you have to wear black. I worked for a defense contractor this summer and the engineers didn't dress very well for the most part, so they may not even notice. 
I've worked with engineers at JPL/NASA and at a global biotech company...they are horrible dressers. Usually in some chinos and sneakers (like actual running shoes).

Cardboard: the outfit is good enough. I actually like brown shoes with black/charcoal suit a lot.

Just go knock them dead. Good luck.

@cardboardbox

I wouldn't splurge on another suit if you're strapped for cash / have time restraints. But yes, the standard is charcoal or navy suit.

If you're set on that suit, here are some tips:

- Get rid of tie bar

- Get another wider tie (3"); skinny ties are no go -- always play it safe and classic

- Swap in black dress shoes if you have any

Last edited:

So I have a pretty short notice job interview coming up with a big defense contractor as an entry level engineer.  Am I breaking too many rules by wearing black to an interview with brown AE's? Got a potato pic of what I was planning to wear. 

Black Banana Republic suit with blue windowpane shirt.

Does this look okay or should I just go get a navy or charcoal suit?

Thanks in advance!
jacket looks too wide on the shoulders for you

a good jacket should be a little contricting but still comfortable.  it should make you stand up straight with good posture. 

Last edited:
What's up bros. I'm glad to see this thread is still kicking. Been away for a bit as my in-laws were in town. Can't have them seeing me post pictures of myself on the internet. 
laugh.gif

Simple weekend fit to start it back up. Wore this to visit the LodinG store in Nice. Wanted to buy some shoe trees but ended up with a tie an two pairs of socks instead.

Pardon my burgeoning facial hair and less-than-thrilled expression -- it's been a long week.

- Brovsko

Cardboard's suit is good enough to get the job done. It's just for a job interview, and unless it's for a fashion firm...he'll be dressed better than 95% of the other applicants.

Cardboard: if you want to get a new suit, make sure you land the job first. Buying a suit now just for this interview, and not landing the job would be hustling backwards. When time is not a factor, you can look out for deals, if you want to get a suit anyway even if the interview didn't go well.

As someone who's done it from both sides..went to interviews without owning a suit and piecing stuff together, ie cardigan, chinos, Desert boots, tie, and softwashed J. Crew shirt (not an actual dress shirt even), I did fairly well and got hired. I've also hired the only guy who was not in a suit because he actually knew what he was talking about and I liked his personality more than the other candidates who wore suits.

Just got back from vacation had all this stuff waiting for me. $340 for all of it. Caught some major deals :pimp:

Nah the wash is called "Eighties Two" and it's a slightly washed/faded black. And the pitch black is "Stay Cash".

Gonna have to get them tapered from knee down and maybe hemmed. They are both 34 length right now so just as long as the YePC. Fit pretty similar throughout.

Last edited:
Yeah I just dropped off a pair of Ace Stay Cash's I found on Grailed to the tailor. I like that they have offerings like the Thin since the leg opening is already around 6" so alterations aren't really needed for me. Might just hold off and check out the Acne store next week since I'll be in NY.

Nice pickups though.

Last edited:
Word. I've been curious about the thin as well but I can't stand when the pants hugs my thighs and I have no crotch space. So I just opt for the ace which is still pretty slim and just get the leg opening smaller and tapered knee down. Almost like the APC Petit New Standard but I prefer Acne over APC now. The 2% elastase is also nice.

Let me know how the thin are once you receive them please.

Last edited:
I'm chilling at a coffee house in ktown and I see this across the street. We can do this ourselves :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom