Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I'm not sure if this is the best outlet for my question, but either way I'm interested in some of your opinions.

I'm more than likely (90%) sure I'll be going to Italy next May to help my wife shoot a wedding. We're going to make it a vacation as well, so all told, we'll be out of the States for at least 3 weeks. Not sure where else we want to go, but the main piece of the trip will be Italy.

South of France has been considered, as has Switzerland.

My question to you is, what are some pieces you'd make sure you travel with but also would fit in somewhat locally. It can still be US styled, but my main objective is not to stick out like a sore thumb. I'm fairly certain there are things that are globally worn (i.e. - mainstays regardless of culture).

I have traveled internationally before and last time we went to Greece we utililized Tumi backpacks as carryon. So space is going to be somewhat limited. I brought sandals and wore brown Cole Haan drivers on the plane.

Thoughts?

Dressing better on a budget - Target style

http://www.primermagazine.com/2011/spend/11-style-items-you-can-buy-at-target-and-5-you-shouldnt

11 Style Items You Can Buy at Target and 5 You Shouldn’t

1. V-neck Sweaters

These thin, lightweight sweaters look great casually over a button up but also slide in underneath a suit for winter layering. Pick them up when they’re on sale, usually under $20.

Sweater: Target, $20
Shirt: Lands End Canvas, $29
Sunglasses: AO Square Framed Aviator, $49

2. Dress socks

Merona has a great steal on patterned socks for $2.50 a pair. I’ve got 8 pairs. They look and feel great with my Frye boots, white canvas sneakers, or Allen Edmonds Strands.

3. Dress Shirts

Believe it or not, Target’s dress shirt line under the Merona brand is surprisingly good. They offer a trim silhouette, are wrinkle free and come in a small, but modern selection of colors and patterns. I’ve got a purple one (featured in our Can’t Fail First Date Get Up) that I can wear with a suit, or wear casually untucked with my Red Wings. Very versatile.

4. Henleys

Henley shirts, long sleeved collarless shirts with 2-4 buttons, are really under-utilized by many guys. They create a casual and comfortable look that’s still more put together than a t-shirt. They also offer a more rugged image usually. My favorite is a Mossimo from Target that I’ve had for 2 or 3 years. Pick them up when they’re on sale, $12 or less.

Henley: Target, $12
Sunglasses: Knockaround, $25
Bracelet: H&M, $3
Jeans: Gap, $30
Boots: Red Wing, $200

5. Suits

This one comes with a big but. A few years ago Target introduced an affordable line of suit separates, some of which are surprisingly nice looking. Stay away from the black options, all the ones I’ve seen still look like cheap black suits. However, there have been some nice gray models to come and go. If you pick up one of these, you have to promise me you’ll get it tailored. (Our guide for how a suit should fit.) The one thing that makes a cheap suit really stand out is when it doesn’t fit. If you need a suit quick or are on a tight budget, these will do the trick in the short term.

6. Some Watches

Target carries a few of Timex’s minimalist watches like the Easy Reader. A great looking watch for $30. We did a full review on them here. Stay away from any of Target’s other watches that are trying to be something they’re not; the big gawdy options, the ones with fake gold or diamonds, etc.

7. Polos

The store has a few lines of polos, most of which are a great deal when on sale. Look for the trimmer options. These won’t be the best quality money can buy, but at the price you’re paying, they’ll last you two or three years maybe. Be mindful when washing them, if you don’t care for them properly they’ll get pilly. Check out Dappered’s review on the Mossimo Signature polo.

8. Plain T-Shirts

Whether you pick up one of the store brands or a set of Hanes Perfect T’s, Target offers some nice crew and v-neck t shirt options. They’ve got an ‘athletic’ cut for a modern man, not the boxy Beefy Tees you’re used to seeing at the $8 range. Pick some of their soft ‘heathered’ or ‘marled’ options that’ll look great layered or on their own.

9. Graphic Tees

You’ve heard us say on Primer that if you want to start dressing better your default go-to should be a button up shirt. But t-shirts still have their place, either on their own or layered over a thermal. Target has consistently had a few options that aren’t “clearly from Target,” like they used to look. Choose consciously, and wear when appropriate.

10. Belts

You can find a full leather belt for under $16, and sometimes even less. I snagged a leather belt with a removable buckle for $4.99 on clearance once. It’s still one of my favorites. Stay away from the faux leather offerings.

11. Hats

There are few times a normal guy can wear a hat these days. But in the summer, and especially at the beach, almost every guy can pull it off. Since you’ll only get to wear it a couple times a year at best, don’t splurge on a nice one. Pick up a straw fedora at Target.

so currently i own a black suit already and want to buy another one. i'm leaning towards a grey suit. i've seen a charcoalish grey one, but thinking about a slightly lighter shade of grey. i can also go navy blue, but leaning towards grey now.

navy blue is more versatile or are they both just as good ?

also, right now what is the style ? the one slit in the middle back or one slit on each side on the back ?

thanks in advance for any info and opinions.

so currently i own a black suit already and want to buy another one. i'm leaning towards a grey suit. i've seen a charcoalish grey one, but thinking about a slightly lighter shade of grey. i can also go navy blue, but leaning towards grey now.

also, right now what is the style ? the one slit in the middle back or one slit on each side on the back ?

I think Navy is a little more versatile than light grey but they're both really solid foundation suit colors. Also, on the vents, I'd say center vent is more common, I've seen more suits made that way but I think its just a matter of preference.

Dressing better on a budget - Target style

http://www.primermagazine.com/2011/spend/11-style-items-you-can-buy-at-target-and-5-you-shouldnt

11 Style Items You Can Buy at Target and 5 You Shouldn’t

1. V-neck Sweaters

These thin, lightweight sweaters look great casually over a button up but also slide in underneath a suit for winter layering. Pick them up when they’re on sale, usually under $20.

Sweater: Target, $20
Shirt: Lands End Canvas, $29
Sunglasses: AO Square Framed Aviator, $49

2. Dress socks

Merona has a great steal on patterned socks for $2.50 a pair. I’ve got 8 pairs. They look and feel great with my Frye boots, white canvas sneakers, or Allen Edmonds Strands.

3. Dress Shirts

Believe it or not, Target’s dress shirt line under the Merona brand is surprisingly good. They offer a trim silhouette, are wrinkle free and come in a small, but modern selection of colors and patterns. I’ve got a purple one (featured in our Can’t Fail First Date Get Up) that I can wear with a suit, or wear casually untucked with my Red Wings. Very versatile.

4. Henleys

Henley shirts, long sleeved collarless shirts with 2-4 buttons, are really under-utilized by many guys. They create a casual and comfortable look that’s still more put together than a t-shirt. They also offer a more rugged image usually. My favorite is a Mossimo from Target that I’ve had for 2 or 3 years. Pick them up when they’re on sale, $12 or less.

Henley: Target, $12
Sunglasses: Knockaround, $25
Bracelet: H&M, $3
Jeans: Gap, $30
Boots: Red Wing, $200

5. Suits

This one comes with a big but. A few years ago Target introduced an affordable line of suit separates, some of which are surprisingly nice looking. Stay away from the black options, all the ones I’ve seen still look like cheap black suits. However, there have been some nice gray models to come and go. If you pick up one of these, you have to promise me you’ll get it tailored. (Our guide for how a suit should fit.) The one thing that makes a cheap suit really stand out is when it doesn’t fit. If you need a suit quick or are on a tight budget, these will do the trick in the short term.

6. Some Watches

Target carries a few of Timex’s minimalist watches like the Easy Reader. A great looking watch for $30. We did a full review on them here. Stay away from any of Target’s other watches that are trying to be something they’re not; the big gawdy options, the ones with fake gold or diamonds, etc.

7. Polos

The store has a few lines of polos, most of which are a great deal when on sale. Look for the trimmer options. These won’t be the best quality money can buy, but at the price you’re paying, they’ll last you two or three years maybe. Be mindful when washing them, if you don’t care for them properly they’ll get pilly. Check out Dappered’s review on the Mossimo Signature polo.

8. Plain T-Shirts

Whether you pick up one of the store brands or a set of Hanes Perfect T’s, Target offers some nice crew and v-neck t shirt options. They’ve got an ‘athletic’ cut for a modern man, not the boxy Beefy Tees you’re used to seeing at the $8 range. Pick some of their soft ‘heathered’ or ‘marled’ options that’ll look great layered or on their own.

9. Graphic Tees

You’ve heard us say on Primer that if you want to start dressing better your default go-to should be a button up shirt. But t-shirts still have their place, either on their own or layered over a thermal. Target has consistently had a few options that aren’t “clearly from Target,” like they used to look. Choose consciously, and wear when appropriate.

10. Belts

You can find a full leather belt for under $16, and sometimes even less. I snagged a leather belt with a removable buckle for $4.99 on clearance once. It’s still one of my favorites. Stay away from the faux leather offerings.

11. Hats

There are few times a normal guy can wear a hat these days. But in the summer, and especially at the beach, almost every guy can pull it off. Since you’ll only get to wear it a couple times a year at best, don’t splurge on a nice one. Pick up a straw fedora at Target.

Thanks for posting this. Repped. :pimp:

Thinking about getting some red chinos (Alphas), I just don't know what to wear with them to set them off. I have this denim  shirt that I got (never been worn yet) that i think would go good with it, but idk. Any help is appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is the best outlet for my question, but either way I'm interested in some of your opinions.
I'm more than likely (90%) sure I'll be going to Italy next May to help my wife shoot a wedding. We're going to make it a vacation as well, so all told, we'll be out of the States for at least 3 weeks. Not sure where else we want to go, but the main piece of the trip will be Italy.
South of France has been considered, as has Switzerland.
My question to you is, what are some pieces you'd make sure you travel with but also would fit in somewhat locally. It can still be US styled, but my main objective is not to stick out like a sore thumb. I'm fairly certain there are things that are globally worn (i.e. - mainstays regardless of culture).
I have traveled internationally before and last time we went to Greece we utililized Tumi backpacks as carryon. So space is going to be somewhat limited. I brought sandals and wore brown Cole Haan drivers on the plane.
Thoughts?

To be honest, just do not wear New Balance and you won't look like a tourist. Italy and France has a pretty diverse fashion from what I could tell and really it is what you carry that makes you look like a tourist (big backpacks or camera bags). A simple, comfortable clothes that adheres to the weather should be perfectly fine.

As for plane travel, I'd suggest just going as comfortable as possible, even if it is as simple as sweatpants and a sweatshirt.

Def go with a Navy suit or Medium gray both are just as verstile as the other so you cant go wrong. Just preference really.

& those slits are called vents (double vented, single vented) double is more Euro, and single is considered more Americana. Again this is all about preference but I would personally go with a double vented, I think those look more swag for lack of a better term.:smokin

Thinking about getting some red chinos (Alphas), I just don't know what to wear with them to set them off. I have this denim shirt that I got (never been worn yet) that i think would go good with it, but idk. Any help is appreciated.

Red is a strong color so I would keep the other pieces pretty understated to not look like your doing to much. A blue chambray shirt or slim fitting polo in navy,white, gray or even a kelly green would look good paired with a simple pair of classics in white like Converses, Jack Purcells or Stan smiths

Thinking about getting some red chinos (Alphas), I just don't know what to wear with them to set them off. I have this denim  shirt that I got (never been worn yet) that i think would go good with it, but idk. Any help is appreciated.

Depends how red they are, is it like fire red? You could go with the shirt you mentioned or a blue chambray, more neutral color tops like tshirts, shirts. etc. Imo, you should keep the tops and shoes subdued and neutral and not go for anything since the pants will be the louder focal point for whatever you rock it with. But anything in the blue color range aside from grays, tan should be good to match with it....if you're into the look you could wear some white Jack Purcells sockless and that'd be pretty clean w/ the aphas too since they're slim fitting

Anyone point me to an oxford similar to this. Wanna cop a few for next season. $150 each for RRL is not on this college students budget :lol: I'm 6'2 btw so recommendations for taller guys are appreciated too. Sorry for the ninjahood pic.

30ii0c5.jpg

Last edited:
Okay so I need help finding both a brown suede belt and suede dark brown desert boots or oxfords or loafers. Preferably DBs since they're more versatile.

The only belt I found was at Barney's and it was 150 bucks.:x

Also does anyone make just plain all white sport shirts, that aren't crazy long because I want to wear it untucked. Went to BBs and the only all white shirts they had were dress shirts

Last edited:
CJ:
honestly, check j.crew outlet bro. copped mine for like $25-30 after my student discount.

also, hdbk, if you are really in a rush to get your sperry's and did not order a crazy color way, i would definitely just cancel your order online and head to macy's and cop in person. prob would end up being cheaper than getting them expedited shipping

Last edited:
Before anything I'm gonna be honest and say I am brand new to this thread so sorry if its not what you are looking for lol.
I plan on copping this shirt thats similar to the one your looking for tomorrow.
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/CPaGoods/itemcode=072006
hope it helps.
What ya think about this fit
Shirt: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/CPaGoods/itemcode=072006
Jeans: http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12302215&
Shoes: http://www.sperrytopsider.com/store...0532002*M070&productId=7-100210&searched=true
EDIT: Shirt wont be tucked in probably unbutton depending how it looks with a white v-neck under

I second that Uniqlo oxford recommendation, after a trip to the tailor that shirt comes out to roughly $45-$50 and fits perfect. Im actually rocking a white one at work now.

btw im 6'3 185

and homie that asked about things with the red pants, I remembered at the starting of the summer GQ did a article on it

Good looks on the recommendations everyone. Gonna check out the jcrew outlet in Orlando this weekend. Sucks Uniqlo isn't nationwide, unless someone wants to proxy for me :nerd: Repped everyone who helped. Thanks again guys.

Edit: When taking an oxford to get tailored what are you guys asking for?

Good looks on the recommendations everyone. Gonna check out the jcrew outlet in Orlando this weekend. Sucks Uniqlo isn't nationwide, unless someone wants to proxy for me :nerd: Repped everyone who helped. Thanks again guys.
Edit: When taking an oxford to get tailored what are you guys asking for?

take the side & sleeves in.

Anyone know where I could get some short sleeve slim fit henleys for ~15-20 a pop? I like the jcrew ones but I'm not trying to spend that much on t-shirts

I like BBs ESF shirts because they have a huge selection when it comes to sizing. There is 14.5x32, 14.5x33, 14.5x34, 15x32, 15x33, etc... Once I get the right size (including the anticipation of shrinking in the wash) I do not even have to alter it. Plus those 3 for $200 sales they have is great. Return is easy too, actually they have even taken returns/exchanges on shirts that have shrunked after a single wash. That might be a case by case basis but their customer service have complied with it.

Anyone point me to an oxford similar to this. Wanna cop a few for next season. $150 each for RRL is not on this college students budget :lol: I'm 6'2 btw so recommendations for taller guys are appreciated too. Sorry for the ninjahood pic.
30ii0c5.jpg
These can also be purchased at Marshall's or TJMAXX for $30 or so. This is the RL version I am speaking of.

Def gonna look in Brooks Brothers this weekend as well.

@Grizzlyboy the RL ones are nice but they're ruined by the horse on the front imo. Thanks though.

A few pick ups from the past weekend.
Brooks Brothers Milano chinos, and a sport shirt from BB as well

Jack Purcells. Needed new pairs since my old pair are busted now. They really switched them up though. No Jack Purcell stitching on the tongue and the leather feels completely different.

I never stopped wearin sneakers, I just mix it up...to me dressing better just meant fitting better...with that said, my idea of dressing better is not always suited up, or shirt tucked or Allen Edmonds on your feet 7 dys if the week...my idea of dressing better is wearing things that fit you right....reason why now most of my pants I get tailored, so my sneakers still get play, I just know that if I'm wearin a pair of runners, basketball, trainers nikes I shouldn't try to look formal, because it just won't work, I'll just untuck my shirt, wear some jeans...hell if I'm wearing a tee shirt that fits, a pair of pants that fits and some cements, IMO in dressing better for myself.
7545964246_6f09cac150_b.jpg

I meant to post ^^^ that picture...sorry
I wanted to make a post on my blog about how you can be versatile, as long as you don't lose your fit, you can still look presentable...my Tshirt is a bit lose since I lost a few lbs, so just picture a better fitting tee of course, I can easily and have gotten into trendy party spots with strict doors with both fits.
Telling you bros, it's all about FIT FIT FIT!...you don't need to retire your collection in order to start dressing better!
I agree that fit (and confidence) are most important.  And this isn't hate, I think you're a good dresser even casually, but do you really think that outfit is "presentable"?  I guess it's semantics but I think presentable is a way you dress maybe for a decent dinner or to go out somewhere respectable, something you'd wear to meet your girlfriend's parents for the first time or if you work a good job and you ran into the company CEO, you wouldn't feel embarrassed.

There's nothing wrong with sneakers and you don't have to be in a suit/blazer or even a dress shirt, chinos, whatever...it's just that I don't think of that as dressing better/presentable when I look at it.  It's still kind of juvenile.  No high horse.

Back
Top Bottom