Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I agree with Ksteezy regarding fit, fit, fit. Granted I still prefer the dress shoes even on weekends but my wardrobe is diverse enough and what I believe well fitting that with a lot of my things I can simply put on some sneakers, whether they be Purcells or some dunks. If things fit properly and you wear it with confidence, you're good.

Dressing better on a budget - Target style
http://www.primermagazine.com/2011/spend/11-style-items-you-can-buy-at-target-and-5-you-shouldnt
11 Style Items You Can Buy at Target and 5 You Shouldn’t
1. V-neck Sweaters
These thin, lightweight sweaters look great casually over a button up but also slide in underneath a suit for winter layering. Pick them up when they’re on sale, usually under $20.

Sweater: Target, $20
Shirt: Lands End Canvas, $29
Sunglasses: AO Square Framed Aviator, $49
2. Dress socks
Merona has a great steal on patterned socks for $2.50 a pair. I’ve got 8 pairs. They look and feel great with my Frye boots, white canvas sneakers, or Allen Edmonds Strands.

3. Dress Shirts
Believe it or not, Target’s dress shirt line under the Merona brand is surprisingly good. They offer a trim silhouette, are wrinkle free and come in a small, but modern selection of colors and patterns. I’ve got a purple one (featured in our Can’t Fail First Date Get Up) that I can wear with a suit, or wear casually untucked with my Red Wings. Very versatile.

4. Henleys
Henley shirts, long sleeved collarless shirts with 2-4 buttons, are really under-utilized by many guys. They create a casual and comfortable look that’s still more put together than a t-shirt. They also offer a more rugged image usually. My favorite is a Mossimo from Target that I’ve had for 2 or 3 years. Pick them up when they’re on sale, $12 or less.

Henley: Target, $12
Sunglasses: Knockaround, $25
Bracelet: H&M, $3
Jeans: Gap, $30
Boots: Red Wing, $200
5. Suits
This one comes with a big but. A few years ago Target introduced an affordable line of suit separates, some of which are surprisingly nice looking. Stay away from the black options, all the ones I’ve seen still look like cheap black suits. However, there have been some nice gray models to come and go. If you pick up one of these, you have to promise me you’ll get it tailored. (Our guide for how a suit should fit.) The one thing that makes a cheap suit really stand out is when it doesn’t fit. If you need a suit quick or are on a tight budget, these will do the trick in the short term.

6. Some Watches
Target carries a few of Timex’s minimalist watches like the Easy Reader. A great looking watch for $30. We did a full review on them here. Stay away from any of Target’s other watches that are trying to be something they’re not; the big gawdy options, the ones with fake gold or diamonds, etc.

7. Polos
The store has a few lines of polos, most of which are a great deal when on sale. Look for the trimmer options. These won’t be the best quality money can buy, but at the price you’re paying, they’ll last you two or three years maybe. Be mindful when washing them, if you don’t care for them properly they’ll get pilly. Check out Dappered’s review on the Mossimo Signature polo.

8. Plain T-Shirts
Whether you pick up one of the store brands or a set of Hanes Perfect T’s, Target offers some nice crew and v-neck t shirt options. They’ve got an ‘athletic’ cut for a modern man, not the boxy Beefy Tees you’re used to seeing at the $8 range. Pick some of their soft ‘heathered’ or ‘marled’ options that’ll look great layered or on their own.
9. Graphic Tees
You’ve heard us say on Primer that if you want to start dressing better your default go-to should be a button up shirt. But t-shirts still have their place, either on their own or layered over a thermal. Target has consistently had a few options that aren’t “clearly from Target,” like they used to look. Choose consciously, and wear when appropriate.

10. Belts
You can find a full leather belt for under $16, and sometimes even less. I snagged a leather belt with a removable buckle for $4.99 on clearance once. It’s still one of my favorites. Stay away from the faux leather offerings.
11. Hats
There are few times a normal guy can wear a hat these days. But in the summer, and especially at the beach, almost every guy can pull it off. Since you’ll only get to wear it a couple times a year at best, don’t splurge on a nice one. Pick up a straw fedora at Target.

I actually saw this about a week and a half ago by chance and I think what they have here is great! I personally have a few items that I get from Target some which are on the list and some that aren't. I have quite a few socks from Target and they are very comfortable, have been meaning to get a couple of v-necks as well. The shirts are okay, unfortunately for me although they have my neck size the shirts are huge on the rest of my body and needs tailoring. The only thing I'm iffy on was the suits. I actually haven't taken a look at any of them but may actually check it out tomorrow since I'm going to Target anyway. I'm curious to check what material they are made in. The other things that I wish would have been included would have been pocket squares, leather gloves and cold weather accessories. Box of 3 pocket squares, from white to patterned are about $5-6, seen them as low as $3 on clearance, leather gloves about $20 lined with fleece, seen them as low as $7 on clearance, same goes with cold weather accessories, especially after the season.

so currently i own a black suit already and want to buy another one. i'm leaning towards a grey suit. i've seen a charcoalish grey one, but thinking about a slightly lighter shade of grey. i can also go navy blue, but leaning towards grey now.
navy blue is more versatile or are they both just as good ?
also, right now what is the style ? the one slit in the middle back or one slit on each side on the back ?
thanks in advance for any info and opinions.

You can't go wrong with navy or gray. Personally, I would say if you are going to go gray, go with a medium to a slightly darker gray (not as dark as charcoal). Honestly, the gray that surrounds the text box when replying to someone here on NT is a good example of two grays you could use. Navy you can't go wrong. Honestly, it depends on what you feel most comfortable going with. Either way you can wear the pants and jackets as separates. The navy suit will definitely get more use not only as a suit but as separates as well.

I'm not sure if this is the best outlet for my question, but either way I'm interested in some of your opinions.
I'm more than likely (90%) sure I'll be going to Italy next May to help my wife shoot a wedding. We're going to make it a vacation as well, so all told, we'll be out of the States for at least 3 weeks. Not sure where else we want to go, but the main piece of the trip will be Italy.
South of France has been considered, as has Switzerland.
My question to you is, what are some pieces you'd make sure you travel with but also would fit in somewhat locally. It can still be US styled, but my main objective is not to stick out like a sore thumb. I'm fairly certain there are things that are globally worn (i.e. - mainstays regardless of culture).
I have traveled internationally before and last time we went to Greece we utililized Tumi backpacks as carryon. So space is going to be somewhat limited. I brought sandals and wore brown Cole Haan drivers on the plane.
Thoughts?

Being Italy, it seems that many men actually do dress pretty well there. Honestly though just do you. As long as you're well put together I doubt anyone will say anything.

I own the Dockers Alphas in the Sahara Red and they are really a true blood red. I usually pair them with a solid v-neck tee shirt or button down shirt. In reference to that GQ article on red pants, it's important to keep the rest of the outfit neutral since the pants are such a loud item of clothing already.

Anybody in the DC area know a place to get good suits on the cheap? Syms used to have the craziest sales a few years back, was able  to get a HUGO and Tommy Suit for $400 together...

On shoe care:

I seem to have got some water marks on a pair of my loafers when I got caught in some rain. Any ideas on the best and most efficient way to clean it up?

Thanks.

I went to the local Barney's tonight after work to buy a pair of jeans. For around $150, Naked & Famous is pretty good stuff. This seems to be the price point I'm comfy with...as in the past I've bought APC and Nudie. I can't get myself to spend almost $300 on RRL. Naked and Famous also offers lots of materials and dyes too.

I also got the J. Crew 484 denim in the mail and they are darn slim. My issue with previous J. Crew pants is that they were all too loose for me, even their slimmest line. This line fits nicely and for around $100 (mine was a bit under, retail was about $98 and then student discount), it's a great deal.

Pretty cool dye Naked and Famous is using here. If I was a denim junkie, I'd get a pair.
tumblr_m8f1uyw1XD1rux7jzo1_500.jpg

On shoe care:
I seem to have got some water marks on a pair of my loafers when I got caught in some rain. Any ideas on the best and most efficient way to clean it up?
Thanks.
wood polisher works for me...yes wood polish, like cabinet magic and any 'furniture' leather cleaner.

Oxford and seersucker today (complete outfit picture is on the blog):
tumblr_m8f74dsdSi1rux7jzo2_1280.jpg

To be honest, just do not wear New Balance and you won't look like a tourist. Italy and France has a pretty diverse fashion from what I could tell and really it is what you carry that makes you look like a tourist (big backpacks or camera bags). A simple, comfortable clothes that adheres to the weather should be perfectly fine.
As for plane travel, I'd suggest just going as comfortable as possible, even if it is as simple as sweatpants and a sweatshirt.
I agree on that last part. I wear sweats, t shirt, and a track jacket when I travel. I also wear crocs since you have to take off the shoes for the folks at the airport now. Fashion is the last thing on my mind when I have to be on a plane for 10+ hours.

Well these are the new cut jerseys, so the arm hole isnt really all that big. Its the USA Lebron jersey replica, and ive read these fit slimmer than jerseys of the past.

Maybe I should take a pic, but the length on these are ridiculous. The top fits fine, a tad loose but the bottom of the jersey is like 3-4 inches from my knee.
I think you should see how the letters and numbers would compare to the same jersey in a size or two smaller (in term of the distance from the bottom and such). If the jersey is truly that long, I don't think shortening it by 2-3 inches would be that big of a deal. But take it to a skilled tailor though, I think this would be something that a messy tailor can easily butcher.

I agree that fit (and confidence) are most important.  And this isn't hate, I think you're a good dresser even casually, but do you really think that outfit is "presentable"?  I guess it's semantics but I think presentable is a way you dress maybe for a decent dinner or to go out somewhere respectable, something you'd wear to meet your girlfriend's parents for the first time or if you work a good job and you ran into the company CEO, you wouldn't feel embarrassed.

There's nothing wrong with sneakers and you don't have to be in a suit/blazer or even a dress shirt, chinos, whatever...it's just that I don't think of that as dressing better/presentable when I look at it.  It's still kind of juvenile.  No high horse.

Well it goes without saying there is a time and place for everything...each outfit is "presentable" in it's own rights...obviously I wouldn't wear the tie and shirt to watch a ball game and I wouldn't wear the tee and jays to a business meeting...

Funny we on te travel topic...I have a 13 hour flight to Hawaii tomorrow morning...I'll be traveling in sweat shorts, white tee and a hat with my lunarglides....efffff everything else...lol

Anyone point me to an oxford similar to this. Wanna cop a few for next season. $150 each for RRL is not on this college students budget
laugh.gif
I'm 6'2 btw so recommendations for taller guys are appreciated too. Sorry for the ninjahood pic.

30ii0c5.jpg
I have a shirt that looks literally exactly like this from J.Crew.

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with Ksteezy's outfit with the Jordan III. I would wear those shoes myself, except with the laces laced up traditionally and no hat. I'd wear them with a fitted t shirt and jeans or chinos too, similar to Ksteezy.

Funny we on te travel topic...I have a 13 hour flight to Hawaii tomorrow morning...I'll be traveling in sweat shorts, white tee and a hat with my lunarglides....efffff everything else...lol
Have fun, my man. I don't want to be a party pooper, but the biggest thing that irks me during the long flight is the dehydration and lack of blood flowing throughout your body causing your calves and ankles to swell up for a day or two.

Take a look at your lower legs when you just boarded the plane and take a look at them when the plane lands :lol:

Also you get to eat a lot of good food (assuming you're not flying on crappy US based airlines) :smokin

Travel safe and take pics!

Well I'm traveling with Hawaiian Airlines :-/ don't know if it's good or bad....to be honest I plan on being heavily medicated for the flight...got some Ativan from my doctor...I get bad anxiety in a 4 hour flight...ill lose my mundo on one that is 13...lol fuji x100, hero GoPro2 and 5dmkiii + 24L all on deck...best Believe this will be Well documented!...thanks bro!

So I stopped wearing polos since I lost a good amount of weight last year. But I went and tried on the brands I used to wear (RL, Lacoste etc) and none of them fit me well. I would like the fit of the Ralph Lauren slim-fit version, but the sleeves are WAY too short for me. And the regular ones are just too wide in the body. Lacoste seems to have the same problem, too wide and short. Do any of you guys have any good suggestions on where to get polos?

Also, I had questions about tailoring as well. How do you go about it? Do you just bring in a picture form a magazine or bring in some pants (or whatever it is) that fits you well for comparison? I have some suit pants and some jeans that are a little too wide at the base. Any suggestions?

So I stopped wearing polos since I lost a good amount of weight last year. But I went and tried on the brands I used to wear (RL, Lacoste etc) and none of them fit me well. I would like the fit of the Ralph Lauren slim-fit version, but the sleeves are WAY too short for me. And the regular ones are just too wide in the body. Lacoste seems to have the same problem, too wide and short. Do any of you guys have any good suggestions on where to get polos?
Also, I had questions about tailoring as well. How do you go about it? Do you just bring in a picture form a magazine or bring in some pants (or whatever it is) that fits you well for comparison? I have some suit pants and some jeans that are a little too wide at the base. Any suggestions?

size up on the ralph lauren custom fit polos then. The sleep should be longer.

imo RL polos are just bad in general, the fit is awful

J Crew has a decent fit and they're pretty cheap too. WJ4 mentioned sunspel but I have yet to try them out.

The vintage tees section at Target is by far my favorite article of clothing they offer. If you're fit, they look really good and they stay soft forever. At $9.99 i haven't found a better alternative anywhere else.

imo RL polos are just bad in general, the fit is awful
J Crew has a decent fit and they're pretty cheap too. WJ4 mentioned sunspel but I have yet to try them out.

Once I tried the custom fit, I never looked back,shorter sleeves,shorter length,and slimmer through the body...The original fit are just too big...

Once I tried the custom fit, I never looked back,shorter sleeves,shorter length,and slimmer through the body...The original fit are just too big[/B]...

You're not lying. I have one on now and it just makes me look fat. The spacing in between the bottoms are abomination...This is a brand new shirt, too. :smh:

Last edited:
Once I tried the custom fit, I never looked back,shorter sleeves,shorter length,and slimmer through the body...The original fit are just too big[/B]...

You're not lying. I have one on now and it just makes me look fat. The spacing in between the bottoms are abomination...This is a brand new shirt, too. :smh:

Man how big are you guys? (no frank ocean) Custom fit are always too short and give me Wavy Back Syndrome.

Im 6foot about 175lbs and a Ralph Lauren Original Fit Medium fits me perfectly. Good length fits great in the chest and arms and slimmer to my body then custom fit.

Lacoste is probably the worst fitting brand of clothes ive ever worn. Everything is way too short and fat. Everything they make is cut for a dude who is 5 foot 6 like 180 lbs i swear.

Back
Top Bottom