Dressing Better Vol 2.0

.. it was either those or the clarks beeswax, i think ill exchange them and get the clarks for a couple more bucks

and i'm starting from the ground up, trying to dress better... starting with shoes

here's an example of what i'm coming from: i know i know.. pants oversize n jacket a size too big

so what should i get next after the clarks.....
chinos?

thanks

I think you said it best honestly, it's the fit. Honestly if you were to take what you are wearing in the picture and jacket and shirt were the right size; probably 1-2 sizes smaller, the pants were slimmer and with little break (properly hem and not much if any stacking), your look would look 10x's better.

@betweenthebars - a few brands, truth is I haven't spent over 200 dollars on shoes, maybe in that range I wouldn't have issues. But Zara, Bata, Springfield and shoes I bought at a chain called Salamander have all caused some serious blisters.

@RFX45 - yeah it's quite obvious, but even if compared to something more affordable ie Lacoste I think they're built, look and feel cheap. Wanted to buy a pair which looked really cool in a picture, but once in my hand, I don't know, I backed out.

@Hermoon - what's that watch? looks wicked!

thanks bruh, you can get it here, http://www.danielwellington.com/

Does anyone know the release date?

Houston just got two H&M's and I recently visited one of the two and I would have to say the quality is crap. I think its great for a high school kid or possibly the 1st two years of college.

Maybe I see it differently at 31 or that my pops is a Minister/CEO and he can smell cheap stuff.

At 450 those pants are a guaranteed sale item for their end of the year sale.
Of course a few will make it to the on sale section. Like most high end brands, the profit margin is extremely high so if they even sell a few at retail, they'll be viable.

I'm happy to see Nordstrom step it up though. For the last few years they were really losing to Saks, Neiman, etc. I'm glad to see brands like Jil Sander, Lanvin, etc. being carried now, although the men's dept. can use more.

Houston just got two H&M's and I recently visited one of the two and I would have to say the quality is crap. I think its great for a high school kid or possibly the 1st two years of college.
Maybe I see it differently at 31 or that my pops is a Minister/CEO and he can smell cheap stuff.
Fast fashion, my man. This is why brands like H&M, Zara, Uniqlo are multi billion dollars firms, while others are merely multi millions.

There are two trains of thoughts. The first is quality over quantity. The second, which is targeted by fast fashion, is quantity over quality. I've bought a few H&M items, and they served their purpose. You can't expect too much for a pair of dress trousers that run $30-40.

Of course a few will make it to the on sale section. Like most high end brands, the profit margin is extremely high so if they even sell a few at retail, they'll be viable.
I'm happy to see Nordstrom step it up though. For the last few years they were really losing to Saks, Neiman, etc. I'm glad to see brands like Jil Sander, Lanvin, etc. being carried now, although the men's dept. can use more.

There is a reason for that. Nordstroms is usually last in the pecking order in retail spaces especially if there is a Saks or Niemans in the complex. They have to cut deals with Saks and Niemans. The deals usually is you can come here but you cant sell these brands or carry these lines. My Nordies cant sell Gucci cause Saks and Neimans wont allow them. Saks and Niemans are the anchor stores so they dictate what goes on.

Its cray but this is the case in alot of cities.

I walked into my Nordstrom Rack and found a pair of Allen Edmond's for $139.99. So beautiful. It looks like they have never been worn. Sadly, I don't know when to wear them.

There is a reason for that. Nordstroms is usually last in the pecking order in retail spaces especially if there is a Saks or Niemans in the complex. They have to cut deals with Saks and Niemans. The deals usually is you can come here but you cant sell these brands or carry these lines. My Nordies cant sell Gucci cause Saks and Neimans wont allow them. Saks and Niemans are the anchor stores so they dictate what goes on.
Its cray but this is the case in alot of cities.
Nordstrom is dependent on its local geographic area. I've seen really bad Nordstroms that should be Macy's. The best Nordstrom I've ever gone to has to be the one around RFX's area. It's within a couple hundred feet from a Saks, and a Neiman. The only thing missing in that complex is a Barneys. This is to date the only one I've seen with brands like Vince, Dries, Jil, etc. in person. They carry stuff that Barneys would and they aren't even up on the official website. Nordstrom is suppose to open a flag ship store around my area next year...can't wait.

They also revamped their whole customer service support, which I admire. I bought 2 purses for my mom within a 2 month span or something of that nature so I guess they monitored my spending habit. I don't even buy anything much from Nordstrom. I got a call from a relations manager and requested that I'd be set up with a stylist so I wouldn't feel like a stranger when I come in. They're applying the textbook rule of the 80/20 here where 80% of your sales come from 20% of your core customers. For my time, I would get a $100 gift card even if I don't buy anything.

I love studying stuff like this...business and fashion...two of my biggest passions.

Last edited:
Just received a Levis denim jacket that I won off of ebay.. It's a size small but the arms are too long and too wide, especially the upper part of the arms.

I'm looking to see if I can get the arms tailored to a slimmer size, does anyone know how much this should run me about? I've never actually had a denim jacket tailored.

Anyone know of a good spot to buy thin hoodies. American Eagle has one but it has an American Eagle logo :smile:lol)
Also, looking for a backpack (no African print please :lol:). Missed out on the grey joint from Everlane, it was ideal... (waitlisted) :rolleyes
Thanks a lot gents...
...and those Cole Haans can be pulled off, the question is can YOU pull them off. Too advanced for where you're at in your wardrobe right now. I'm assuming you don't have a suit yet. *winky face*
*We need more emoticons, they must be in sneakertalk prison*

Gap had some thin ones on clearance the last time I was in there...Blue,Green,and Orange I think for like 11.99

Nordstrom is dependent on its local geographic area. I've seen really bad Nordstroms that should be Macy's. The best Nordstrom I've ever gone to has to be the one around RFX's area. It's within a couple hundred feet from a Saks, and a Neiman. The only thing missing in that complex is a Barneys. This is to date the only one I've seen with brands like Vince, Dries, Jil, etc. in person. They carry stuff that Barneys would and they aren't even up on the official website. Nordstrom is suppose to open a flag ship store around my area next year...can't wait.
They also revamped their whole customer service support, which I admire. I bought 2 purses for my mom within a 2 month span or something of that nature so I guess they monitored my spending habit. I don't even buy anything much from Nordstrom. I got a call from a relations manager and requested that I'd be set up with a stylist so I wouldn't feel like a stranger when I come in. They're applying the textbook rule of the 80/20 here where 80% of your sales come from 20% of your core customers. For my time, I would get a $100 gift card even if I don't buy anything.
I love studying stuff like this...business and fashion...two of my biggest passions.

Yep theres always an exception to every rule.

DB's with the crepe bottoms on sale at this spot in philly called the natural shoes store 215-382-9899, not sure if the do phone orders. $76-85

:smh: whelp, thats a no go for me then. I went to see what they had and it was not there.

I did purchase several scarves for $5. :smokin

Just received a Levis denim jacket that I won off of ebay.. It's a size small but the arms are too long and too wide, especially the upper part of the arms.
I'm looking to see if I can get the arms tailored to a slimmer size, does anyone know how much this should run me about? I've never actually had a denim jacket tailored.
Slimming down the arms is not the issue. The issue is that the arms are too long...that's an expensive fix and probably not a worthy one. The arms would need to be detached and shortened from up there.

I would personally look into turning the jacket into a vest or sell it and try to get your money back.

Gap denim jackets are pretty slim FYI. I was able to score one about 2 years ago for around $15.

Slimming down the arms is not the issue. The issue is that the arms are too long...that's an expensive fix and probably not a worthy one. The arms would need to be detached and shortened from up there.
I would personally look into turning the jacket into a vest or sell it and try to get your money back.
Gap denim jackets are pretty slim FYI. I was able to score one about 2 years ago for around $15.

+1, Thanks for the advice. Ill look into turning it into a vest. Wish I picked up one of the levis slim fit jackets with the 40% off a while back... need to start stocking up for the fall, back to school.

Back
Top Bottom