Dressing Better Vol 2.0

damb serg nice!

i wanna go there for my phd.

to be honest i got rid of all my dress trousers cuz i lost 40lb.

i usually roll w da alhpa khaki paired w a classic navy blazer, or tweed blazer. real classic prep.

i want more of a suit look. im thinking unqilo for a full outfit, but im hoping for no alteractions.

thanks for da suggestions

GUYS I LEGIT WANT A SHIRT LIKE THIS FOR DA SUMMER.

SINCE IM GETTING FIT AND LOOKING A BIT MORE AESTHETICALLY YOKED.

OH MAN MAXIMUM TROLLAGE ENGAGED

The way I would pack for Vegas would be

-two suits - 1 suit is fine, navy or charcoal
- 2 skinny/slim ties
-2 dress shirts
-2 casual shirts
- 3-4 v-neck or crewneck T's
- 1 Polo
- 2 pairs of jeans - 1 pair dark denim
- 1 pair of low profile kicks (JP's, Vans)
- 1 pair of sneakers (Free Run 2's, FlyKnits)
- 1 pair of shoes (dark brown)
- Flip-Flops or Sandals for the Pool.
- buy some Hanes 5 pack vnecks (or Jockey)
- 1 pair of cargo shorts
- 1 pair of regular shorts
- 1 pair of board shorts
- Underwear and Socks

Flip flop between pieces, kind of how we doing with this challenge :lol:

You can wear the suit jacket with a polo shirt and the jeans, Full on suit, button downs sleeves rolled up with cargos, tee and shorts, tee and jeans, the combinations are plenty.

K's list is pretty comprehensive, just some minor changes. I've never been in Vegas for more than 3 days, that being said I doubt you'll club every night you are there. One suit in a versatile color is enough, IMO. It's late March, so pools will be hit or miss, might want to check various hotel websites. Usually weather in Vegas in March is unpredictable. Usually go their around that time annually and it can be really nice, spring time weather, it's been hot as hell, and last year when I went for St. Patty's day weekend it was cold and rain.

Cheap places to gamble:

- Imperial Palace, Fremont Street and anything North of the Wynn/Encore.

Nightclubs:
- Marquee
- Surrender
- XS

*Can get expensive, but these are the "go to" spots right now.

Bars

- Cosmo has a couple of good bars

Good eats:

- Earl of Sandwich - Awesome sammiches, located in Planet Hollywood, relatively cheap and open late so makes for a perfect after-club meal.
- Golden Steer - Known as the steakhouse where the "Rat Pack" used to eat, it is off the strip and a little old school.
- Steakhouse at Circus Circus, very underrated.
- Burger Bar at Mandalay Bay
- Island Style, Korean fusion, it is off the Strip.
- There's a Fogo de Chao out there now, wouldn't try it out there but you're from Alabama so a brazilian steakhouse might be something new to try.

Shopping:

- Outlets right off the 15 freeway, a little past the strip.
- Forum shops is where the Niketown is at along with some high end spots.
- Shops at City Center, really high end stuff if that is your thing.

Money Tips:

- Seperate/Budget your money by day, seperate it. Also seperate your daily "per diem" by gambling and everything else.
- Lose the wallet, carry only your ID and one credit card... strictly "Emergency"
- Put what you don't need in the hotel room safe.
- Gambling money in one back pocket, money for everything else in another.
- Buy a flask, yes you can get free drinks if you are gambling but unless you're strictly drinking beer that hard liquor cocktail will be watered down.
- flask with whiskey/scotch is extremely clutch.

Buffets

- Wicked Spoon at the Cosmopolitan

Random Tips:

- Be a generous tipper.
- Put some bottles of liquor in your luggage, it's good to have liquor in your room for pre and if you are lucky... after party.
- Hit up Walgreens, there's a few on the strip and buy mixers (cranberry/OJ) and random snacks (protein bars are money)... more importantly buy a case of water. Sounds stupid but having water is often overlooked but one of the best sights for sore eyes after a night of partying/drinking.

Last edited:
damb serg nice!

i wanna go there for my phd.

to be honest i got rid of all my dress trousers cuz i lost 40lb.

i usually roll w da alhpa khaki paired w a classic navy blazer, or tweed blazer. real classic prep.

i want more of a suit look. im thinking unqilo for a full outfit, but im hoping for no alteractions.

thanks for da suggestions

My wife is doing her Ed. D. there right now and once I figure out what I want to do, by that I mean expertise wise I hope to go back and get my Ed. D. or PhD there as well. Definitely hit up Uniqlo or even H&M.

Money Tips:

- Seperate/Budget your money by day, seperate it. Also seperate your daily "per diem" by gambling and everything else.
- Lose the wallet, carry only your ID and one credit card... strictly "Emergency"
- Put what you don't need in the hotel room safe.
- Gambling money in one back pocket, money for everything else in another.
- Buy a flask, yes you can get free drinks if you are gambling but unless you're strictly drinking beer that hard liquor cocktail will be watered down.
- flask with whiskey/scotch is extremely clutch.

Buffets

- Wicked Spoon at the Cosmopolitan

Random Tips:

- Be a generous tipper.
- Put some bottles of liquor in your luggage, it's good to have liquor in your room for pre and if you are lucky... after party.
- Hit up Walgreens, there's a few on the strip and buy mixers (cranberry/OJ) and random snacks (protein bars are money)... more importantly buy a case of water. Sounds stupid but having water is often overlooked but one of the best sights for sore eyes after a night of partying/drinking.

When I was in the Navy. Guys used to take canisters of O2 and gallons of water. Wear the mask the next morning to B-fast, walking around pulling that lil green canister and a gallon of water. Instant hangover cure.

The way I would pack for Vegas would be

-two suits - 1 suit is fine, navy or charcoal
- 2 skinny/slim ties
-2 dress shirts
-2 casual shirts
- 3-4 v-neck or crewneck T's
- 1 Polo
- 2 pairs of jeans - 1 pair dark denim
- 1 pair of low profile kicks (JP's, Vans)
- 1 pair of sneakers (Free Run 2's, FlyKnits)
- 1 pair of shoes (dark brown)
- Flip-Flops or Sandals for the Pool.
- buy some Hanes 5 pack vnecks (or Jockey)
- 1 pair of cargo shorts
- 1 pair of regular shorts
- 1 pair of board shorts
- Underwear and Socks

Flip flop between pieces, kind of how we doing with this challenge :lol:

You can wear the suit jacket with a polo shirt and the jeans, Full on suit, button downs sleeves rolled up with cargos, tee and shorts, tee and jeans, the combinations are plenty.

K's list is pretty comprehensive, just some minor changes. I've never been in Vegas for more than 3 days, that being said I doubt you'll club every night you are there. One suit in a versatile color is enough, IMO. It's late March, so pools will be hit or miss, might want to check various hotel websites. Usually weather in Vegas in March is unpredictable. Usually go their around that time annually and it can be really nice, spring time weather, it's been hot as hell, and last year when I went for St. Patty's day weekend it was cold and rain.

Cheap places to gamble:

- Imperial Palace, Fremont Street and anything North of the Wynn/Encore, Treasure Island, Excalibur, and Luxor all have cheap tables and the latter two are part of the M-life group (pretty good rewards)

Nightclubs:
- Marquee
- Surrender
- XS

*Can get expensive, but these are the "go to" spots right now - Marquee and XS are the expensive big dogs but Surrender is more reasonable and has prices in line with clubs like Tao and 1OAK

Bars

- Cosmo has a couple of good bars

Good eats:

- Earl of Sandwich - Awesome sammiches, located in Planet Hollywood, relatively cheap and open late so makes for a perfect after-club meal, I think it's 24 hours, gets packed post club though
- Golden Steer - Known as the steakhouse where the "Rat Pack" used to eat, it is off the strip and a little old school.
- Steakhouse at Circus Circus, very underrated.
- Burger Bar at Mandalay Bay, Holstein's at Cosmo is very good as well for burgers
- Island Style, Korean fusion, it is off the Strip.
- There's a Fogo de Chao out there now, wouldn't try it out there but you're from Alabama so a brazilian steakhouse might be something new to try.
-Grand Luxe at Venetian (24 hours) and Palazzo (close to 24 hours)
- Secret Pizza place at Cosmo, although it's not a secret anymore so I would avoid going there late on any night Marquee is open because the line will be crazy

Shopping:

- Outlets right off the 15 freeway, a little past the strip.
- Forum shops is where the Niketown is at along with some high end spots.
- Shops at City Center, really high end stuff if that is your thing - also very high end stuff in the WynnCore shops.

Bama- ill make a little list later or ill PM you.

Ricky- you can get a decent suit for $300 at Nordstrom Rack, I have a CK suit that I bought for about $175 (sale). Granted tailoring, pushed it near $300. Are they the best, no, serviceable, yes. Also, I'm a fan of Banana Republic suits, and can usually be had from $150-200 if you stack your coupons right. Again this isn't factoring tailoring.

I agree with his suggestions. The main thing is to make sure that you have enough in your budget to get it tailored. You may not have time for that for a conference next week but its necessary in the long run.

trying to cop a suit...

can i get a slim fitting suit for less than 3hunna?

also... i have a career fair next week...

should i rock a suit... or a shirt, tie, and a RL half zip sweater...?

Had mine today and yes I say suit. There were some people in just a shirt and tie, but that doesn't look very professional to me.

Going to follow up with a recruiter tomorrow and he's showing me around the new campus they just built :pimp:

Congrats wes! Get that J-O-B! Are you looking for full-time or an internship? I do campus recruiting for my company from time-to-time and wearing a full suit is the way to go. It shows professionalism. However, as I stated above, make sure it's not a choppa suit.

At the end of the day, as Wis has said before, the best candidate for the position will get hired but personally, wearing a well-fitting suit and tie at these events strengthens my confidence.

Today:

I haven't gone to Vegas in a bit, but when I did...I used to get free hotel stay because my mom's a regular there :lol: I remember I was up like $300 once and I was about to leave...she told me to stay and get more.. I lost it all within 30 mins. :frown:

I agree with his suggestions. The main thing is to make sure that you have enough in your budget to get it tailored. You may not have time for that for a conference next week but its necessary in the long run.
Congrats wes! Get that J-O-B! Are you looking for full-time or an internship? I do campus recruiting for my company from time-to-time and wearing a full suit is the way to go. It shows professionalism. However, as I stated above, make sure it's not a choppa suit.

At the end of the day, as Wis has said before, the best candidate for the position will get hired but personally, wearing a well-fitting suit and tie at these events strengthens my confidence.

Thanks man! Right now just an internship, but I graduate in December so I've been getting my name out there for full time positions when the time comes.

Wisith hooked it up with this bracelet I won from his tumblr contest. I'll def be putting it to good use. thanks!

High school pics...they hold no weight to some of the stuff here, but oh well :lol:

Bros starting my teaching internship soon, with a budget of 350-400 is it a good idea to cop a ludlow suit or are there better options out there?

I'd cop the Ludlow, but I'm biased, I've heard guys in here say indochino and suitsupply are good places within that range...

Back
Top Bottom