Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Price range 75-100
Something similar to the guy in the middle
b11f36523a8c3f10_Mens_Summer_Fashion_B1.jpg
Those aren't shorts. They're trousers turned into shorts. The silhouette is a dead giveaway. If you want the same look, just go to your tailor and have them hem your trousers to your desired height.

Went to Woodbury commons to Banana Republic Factory store and found a pretty nice Double Breasted Blazer. I have stayed away from DB jackets since I'm a wider guy (44-46) and figured it'd make me look wider. Nonetheless, found one and tried it on and actually really liked how it looked. I don't know if this was made just as a blazer or if pants were at one time available but I couldn't find even one pair of pants in any size. Retail was $229.00, was on clearance for $44.99 plus 30% off and I got an additional 10% thanks to Triple A, so paid about $28 for it! Need sleeves shortened that's about it, I think.

More pics on the blog

Serg: It's too tight for you, bud. Look at the tension created from the button. I'm sure you don't mind since you got it for dirt cheap. There's two ways you can try to fix it. Way 1 is preferred...on most decent jackets, there is enough fabric on the sides that can be let out up to an inch. The tailor can cut and open up the lining to determine this. If this is not applicable, you can move the buttons an inch or so farther to relieve the tension. It might be the picture, but the length looks too long for my taste...but this is a preference thing. I prefer jacket to cover 3/4 of my rear since I'm not that tall at 5'9".

Serg: It's too tight for you, bud. Look at the tension created from the button. I'm sure you don't mind since you got it for dirt cheap. There's two ways you can try to fix it. Way 1 is preferred...on most decent jackets, there is enough fabric on the sides that can be let out up to an inch. The tailor can cut and open up the lining to determine this. If this is not applicable, you can move the buttons an inch or so farther to relieve the tension. It might be the picture, but the length looks too long for my taste...but this is a preference thing. I prefer jacket to cover 3/4 of my rear since I'm not that tall at 5'9".

I agree, and I think I may move the button stance, still debating that, since it's the easier and faster fix and something I can do myself too. For $29 I had to get it, figure it was worth it. The problem I'm running into right now is that my stomach has gotten smaller but my chest hasn't which kinda sucks in regards to wearing some blazers. The jacket covers my rear, I personally don't like the jacket to hit at 3/4 of it, so length is perfect. I'm going to try and see if I can move the button stance. Also correct me if I'm wrong, only one button is buttoned on a double breasted blazer right?

I agree, and I think I may move the button stance, still debating that, since it's the easier and faster fix and something I can do myself too. For $29 I had to get it, figure it was worth it. The problem I'm running into right now is that my stomach has gotten smaller but my chest hasn't which kinda sucks in regards to wearing some blazers. The jacket covers my rear, I personally don't like the jacket to hit at 3/4 of it, so length is perfect. I'm going to try and see if I can move the button stance. Also correct me if I'm wrong, only one button is buttoned on a double breasted blazer right?
You can do it either way, man. You can button the top one like you did in the picture or button them both.

You don't want your chest to get smaller, just your stomach. It's good to have muscular pecks, my man. :smile:

I'm goign to say yay for those. I like them.
Are there any stores in the US that sells Loake
You're going to have an extremely hard time with that. I can't even find a local store that sells Alden except for Leathersoul.

I have been looking online and can't find any information on them. Not even the brand.

They look like these, but a little darker.

I have been looking online and can't find any information on them. Not even the brand.

I'm gonna say nay on those.

I almost copped a pair at zara of the strength of my friends LV pair and what it did to my mind, but then I brought myself back to reality.

You're going to have an extremely hard time with that. I can't even find a local store that sells Alden except for Leathersoul.

I'm talking online. Plenty of US sites have Alden. They're an American company too aren't they? The price hike of Aldens have turned me off completely.

I'm talking online. Plenty of US sites have Alden. They're an American company too aren't they? The price hike of Aldens have turned me off completely.
I thought you meant locally. Yeah, I'm off of Aldens except for what I can find on the irregular list. I'm still waiting for my Ravello boots though. Paid for those suckers about 1.5 years ago. The shortage is extreme.

Loake is based in the UK. http://www.loake.co.uk/

Not too many US retailers carry UK shoes. And if they do, the mark up is high. This is why I just order from their country and get the best prices possible. Plus they deduct 20% for the VAT since it's coming to the USA.

Last edited:
This is why I said it can be yay or nay. This is a nay. The silhouette is horrible. While the LV one looks good, and not because it's LV...the last looks balanced.

Speaking of Aldens, it's only going to go downhill from here. There are only two great shoemakers left in the U.S. and they are AE and Alden. The problem is that the younger generations don't want to become shoemakers so that means when the older generation is gone...there will be less workers. This means slower turnaround time, and price hike. I think Alden jacks up the prices like 5% every year...completely ridiculous.

While in countries like England and Spain, shoe making is a perfectly acceptable career so they don't face the same issue we do in the states.

I thought you meant locally. Yeah, I'm off of Aldens except for what I can find on the irregular list. I'm still waiting for my Ravello boots though. Paid for those suckers about 1.5 years ago. The shortage is extreme.
Loake is based in the UK. http://www.loake.co.uk/
Not too many US retailers carry UK shoes. And if they do, the mark up is high. This is why I just order from their country and get the best prices possible. Plus they deduct 20% for the VAT since it's coming to the USA.

Yeah I think I'm just going to try my luck with the UK sites, still pretty iffy about ordering stuff out of the country though.

Speaking of Aldens, it's only going to go downhill from here. There are only two great shoemakers left in the U.S. and they are AE and Alden. The problem is that the younger generations don't want to become shoemakers so that means when the older generation is gone...there will be less workers. This means slower turnaround time, and price hike. I think Alden jacks up the prices like 5% every year...completely ridiculous.
While in countries like England and Spain, shoe making is a perfectly acceptable career so they don't face the same issue we do in the states.

See i don't get it. You say AE and Alden are the only US shoemakers left. And AE makes their shoes completely affordable and usually found with steep discounts.
Is the quality between the two that huge of a difference to justify at least +200 dollar price point.

You can do it either way, man. You can button the top one like you did in the picture or button them both.
You don't want your chest to get smaller, just your stomach. It's good to have muscular pecks, my man. :smile:

Took your advice regarding the buttons, took a while, but got it done and the difference is noticeable. The issue isn't the amount of fabric but where the buttons were situated.

Yeah I think I'm just going to try my luck with the UK sites, still pretty iffy about ordering stuff out of the country though.
You'll be fine. I've ordered sweaters from websites where I had to use Google to translate for me and that was OK. If you're going with Richard, he'll take great care of you. Just make sure you're doing from good folks and not shoddy sites.

RE: AE & Alden. It's getting late so excuse me if there are any typos or any other kind of errors. They have completely different business plans AE depends largely on Nordstrom. They always stock their shoes in full size run. I'm not sure where AE is based out of, but Alden is in a rural part of the country. I can Google it, but it's late and I'm too lazy. The new generation doesn't want to stay around that rural part.

While AE is cream of the crop to the general public, it's entry level stuff for the cloth hobbyists. You don't get into the good stuff until you hit shoes that run over $1,000 like Edward Green and John Lobb. The leather is good on AE, but Alden's is better. What Alden is really known for is their cordovan shells. There's a 2+ year waiting list for certain hues and people are still signing up for them, and paying in full in advance. Alden is also loved worldwide, especially in countries like Japan where they will gladly shell over a grand for a pair. I was pretty pissed at this. I ordered the Ravello boots and was told they would be ready within 6 months. It's been 1.5 years later and I still don't have an exact date of when they'll be in. Alden said they are completely out of Ravello.

Alden also never goes on sale, and produces in small batches. They claim everything is made by hand, but I'm not sure if that's completely true or not. I'm also not sure if AE does everything by hand. Alden is just famous for its clunky lasts. Even their sleeker last is still clunky looking.

To be honest, I don't think Alden's quality is anything all that great. They're OK. I even think Tricker's finish is even cleaner and detailed. Alden just has a big following. on SF, there are dudes who's been buying Aldens for the last 4 decades. I'm not sure AE has the same following.

Back
Top Bottom