Dressing Better Vol 2.0

The tie is almost 2 inches wide on the wider end. I will be wearing it with a spread collar.

I usually go with a four in hand knot on my skinnier ties but if you're wearing it with a spread collar maybe a half windsor would work better to fill that gap? You could also type in "spread collar" as a search term on tumblr and take a look at what others are doing.

lol im a girl but i know what you mean, some guys just don't look good in them. Ksteezy can pull them off tho imo. nice simple fit

NT Please recommend me some comfortable casual shorts. I am getting tired of baggy cargo shorts because they don't look right on me. I am 6'2, please show me in the right direction.
I don't know why everybody on NT praise cargo shorts.

Next they'll be praising pajama pants.

The tie is almost 2 inches wide on the wider end. I will be wearing it with a spread collar.
I'd try for a full windsor if the material of the tie permits, ie knit or wool ties won't allow for this.

Cargo short definitely do work for males as long as they possess the proper silhouette and are actually shorts, and not capris-ish or baggy.

I also got an opportunity to try on the Gant cargo pants RFX posted. Great fit for me and almost bought, but there's a patch that covers the rear similar to elbow patches on sweaters that didn't gel with me too much.

TOMS is 'suspect' on males? Some of you guys really need to look at this on a worldwide perspective.

Interesting aspect they're going into. I'm not sure if there's a new head honcho doing the campaign, but definitely luring in the younger crowds by the appearance of tattoos and laid back vibe.

However, they are really late on the "new suit"....at least by a good 4-5 years.

You'll be fine. I've ordered sweaters from websites where I had to use Google to translate for me and that was OK. If you're going with Richard, he'll take great care of you. Just make sure you're doing from good folks and not shoddy sites.
RE: AE & Alden. It's getting late so excuse me if there are any typos or any other kind of errors. They have completely different business plans AE depends largely on Nordstrom. They always stock their shoes in full size run. I'm not sure where AE is based out of, but Alden is in a rural part of the country. I can Google it, but it's late and I'm too lazy. The new generation doesn't want to stay around that rural part.
While AE is cream of the crop to the general public, it's entry level stuff for the cloth hobbyists. You don't get into the good stuff until you hit shoes that run over $1,000 like Edward Green and John Lobb. The leather is good on AE, but Alden's is better. What Alden is really known for is their cordovan shells. There's a 2+ year waiting list for certain hues and people are still signing up for them, and paying in full in advance. Alden is also loved worldwide, especially in countries like Japan where they will gladly shell over a grand for a pair. I was pretty pissed at this. I ordered the Ravello boots and was told they would be ready within 6 months. It's been 1.5 years later and I still don't have an exact date of when they'll be in. Alden said they are completely out of Ravello.
Alden also never goes on sale, and produces in small batches. They claim everything is made by hand, but I'm not sure if that's completely true or not. I'm also not sure if AE does everything by hand. Alden is just famous for its clunky lasts. Even their sleeker last is still clunky looking.
To be honest, I don't think Alden's quality is anything all that great. They're OK. I even think Tricker's finish is even cleaner and detailed. Alden just has a big following. on SF, there are dudes who's been buying Aldens for the last 4 decades. I'm not sure AE has the same following.

I love my AE boots and will end up buying more AE shoes later on down the road. Tricker's is nice, I don't know much about these UK shoemakers though. But yeah only pair of Aldens I'll buy will be the Indy boots, wanted them ever since I saw them a couple years ago just can't afford them yet.

I really want to buy a new pair of boots. Probably gettign the LL bean boots, but I need another pair for everyday type of wear. I don't want to spend over 250 though.

trying to dress better bros

thinking about getting some Clarks.....which ones to get though, Bushacre, or DB's?? (Beeswax)

Last edited:
thinking about getting some Clarks.....which ones to get though, Bushacre, or DB's?? (Beeswax)
Beeswax and dark brown would be my first two. Extremely versatile shoes that can be worn with a lot of outfits. I still have my dark brown, but will be donating them this week.

Going to a wedding in about two weeks. I'll be wearing a black suit, but still don't have an idea with the color of shirt and tie to go with. What would be some clean color combinations?

Going to a wedding in about two weeks. I'll be wearing a black suit, but still don't have an idea with the color of shirt and tie to go with. What would be some clean color combinations?
we need to know your skin color to see what would compliment you
post a pic bruh bruh

Besides complexion, I think venue of the wedding also may affect this. Honestly the fail safe is a white shirt and a black or dark tie.

A white shirt is very underrated. Why do people always want to wear a colored shirt all the time? That is so high school prom. My suggestion is to stick to a crisp white shirt, maybe with a spread English collar for a more formal look? Just accent the tie and pocket square with the color you desire, have fun with the socks and maybe some nice cuff links if the shirt has a French cuff. It's all in the details.

Last edited:
A white shirt is very underrated. Why do people always want to wear a colored shirt all the time? That is so high school prom. My suggestion is to stick to a crisp white shirt, maybe with a spread English collar for a more formal look? Just accent the tie and pocket square with the color you desire, have fun with the socks and maybe some nice cuff links if the shirt has a French cuff. It's all in the details.

this****

white shirt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Completely agree with this and with ksteezy about the white shirt. Honestly even I'm realizing that, I honestly think I own one properly fitting white dress shirt, but a hell of a lot of striped, windowpane or patterned shirts, or colored shirts. Thankfully I finally pulled the trigger on another white dress shirt as well thanks to my wife and Indochino. A white shirt partnered with any color pant or suit is a perfect canvas for any tie you want to throw on. Like RFX said, accent with the tie and pocket square.

Back
Top Bottom