Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Have a question. I'm a relative noob to suits. I have a tan suit and wanted to change it up a bit and wear a waistcoat with it. My question is. Is it ok to wear a waistcoat that didn't come as part of the suit? I had my eye on a tweed type waistcoat. Any reccomendations?

Have a question. I'm a relative noob to suits. I have a tan suit and wanted to change it up a bit and wear a waistcoat with it. My question is. Is it ok to wear a waistcoat that didn't come as part of the suit? I had my eye on a tweed type waistcoat. Any reccomendations?
I would definitely do it. Well, I've done it and will continue to. A 3 piece suit looks good. However, a regular 2 piece suit with a standalone waistcoat can look as equally good. Just make sure the colors compliment each other and there's no weird pattern going on, ie wearing that tan suit with a charcoal waistcoat with chalk pinstripes.

Man, a tan suit with a dark brown tweed or herringbone waistcoat would look so good!

Just wait until more brands get the fall/winter stuff in. They will be easy to find at the usual suspects ie Banana Republic, J. Crew, Zara, H&M, etc.

I would definitely do it. Well, I've done it and will continue to. A 3 piece suit looks good. However, a regular 2 piece suit with a standalone waistcoat can look as equally good. Just make sure the colors compliment each other and there's no weird pattern going on, ie wearing that tan suit with a charcoal waistcoat with chalk pinstripes.
Man, a tan suit with a dark brown tweed or herringbone waistcoat would look so good!
Just wait until more brands get the fall/winter stuff in. They will be easy to find at the usual suspects ie Banana Republic, J. Crew, Zara, H&M, etc.
Thanks for the advice. I thought it looked really good. One more question I had was I lost a little weight so I was going to alter the suit. Should I let them know that I'll be wearing a vest with the suit before its altered?

Thanks for the advice. I thought it looked really good. One more question I had was I lost a little weight so I was going to alter the suit. Should I let them know that I'll be wearing a vest with the suit before its altered?
It depends on what "little weight" is. Also, what alterations are we talking of? Just waist compression? It would be best to bring a waistcoat with you during the alteration. The rule of thumb is that if you can fit your first inside your jacket, it's too loose. If there is an "x" around the buttons on your jacket once it's buttoned formed from tension, then it's too tight.

Not directly related to this thread, but I took some pictures of a fashion magazine from the homeland:

It depends on what "little weight" is. Also, what alterations are we talking of? Just waist compression? It would be best to bring a waistcoat with you during the alteration. The rule of thumb is that if you can fit your first inside your jacket, it's too loose. If there is an "x" around the buttons on your jacket once it's buttoned formed from tension, then it's too tight.
Thanks for all the help. Repped

If you guys really want slim jeans, chinos, and cords...check out J. Crew's 484 line. It's pretty slim. The fit is as slim as the more expensive European brands.

That herringbone vest you posted to compliment his suit is nice, just checked J. Crew and they have the blazer as well but not pants. That would make a great 3 piece fall suit if they had the pants.

That herringbone vest you posted to compliment his suit is nice, just checked J. Crew and they have the blazer as well but not pants. That would make a great 3 piece fall suit if they had the pants.
I liked the waistcoat so much I ordered one myself today :lol: I'm looking forward to wearing it under a jean jacket, Harrington jacket, and with suits of course.

PS I'm pretty impressed with J. Crew's OCBDs for the fall/winter. They're on the thicker side and the cut appears to be a bit shorter than when I was routinely buying their shirts. For me, it was the perfect length to be worn untucked or tucked. Retail is $70, not bad at all.

So I just copped the brown wingtips from JCPenny.com. Now I need to know what to wear with them to go out in like to a bar or out to dinner. Could some people shed some light. Photos would be great. Thanks NT Fam!

So I just copped the brown wingtips from JCPenny.com. Now I need to know what to wear with them to go out in like to a bar or out to dinner. Could some people shed some light. Photos would be great. Thanks NT Fam!
Those are very versatile shoes and will look great with nearly anything. You can wear a suit with them, sports shirt with chinos or jeans. For a simple look, just pair them with a t shirt and jeans.

real life...

is this suit jacket too big? or does it just need some tailoring?

this is with me pulling my arms back
so it shows the pull

should i take it to the tailors like that or return it for a smaller size then tailor it?
also the left sleeve (looking at the pic) i rolled it up to the lenght i think i would want the tailor to make it...

Last edited:
real life...
is this suit jacket too big? or does it just need some tailoring?

from the pic of you in the white shirt a few pages back, you are a pretty slim guy.
i'd take in the sides if i were you

real life...

i am planning on it... but like before tailoring is it to big? like its a 42r slim
and the 40r slim had a little pull on the button when i was just standing there...

real life...
i am planning on it... but like before tailoring is it to big? like its a 42r slim
and the 40r slim had a little pull on the button when i was just standing there...
If this is the case then this pattern is not for you. The shoulders are too wide. This is made apparent by the 2nd picture. Return it.

I agree with P in saying that you appear to be a slim guy so if your chest is not a 40 or 42 you shouldn't be buying a suit in those sizes.

real life...
If this is the case then this pattern is not for you. The shoulders are too wide. This is made apparent by the 2nd picture. Return it.

I agree with P in saying that you appear to be a slim guy so if your chest is not a 40 or 42 you shouldn't be buying a suit in those sizes.

real life...

for sure, thanks... so how much strain or pull should be on the button when trying it on at the store? because the chest area is not supposed to be "opening" while buttoned right?

real life...
for sure, thanks... so how much strain or pull should be on the button when trying it on at the store? because the chest area is not supposed to be "opening" while buttoned right?
There should be no pulling on the buttons at all. The rule of thumb is that if you can fit your first inside your jacket, it's too loose. If there is an "x" around the buttons on your jacket once it's buttoned formed from tension, then it's too tight.

The first thing is to make sure the shoulders actually fit you. If the chest is too loose, you can have that taken in via a tailor. Also make sure the armholes aren't too low, otherwise it will look sloppy when you move your arms around and ruin the silhouette of the jacket. The overall goal is to get a slim fitting suit that compliments your slim physique. You don't want a tight suit because in the real world...we need to move and can't stay still like in the pages of GQ.

Also since home made lapel pins were posted a while back, here's one of mine. Not that I made it myself, but I got it from a member on SF that does.

tumblr_m9phqnf8cN1rux7jzo1_500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom