Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I wanted to get these chinos tapered, but my tailor said she can't due to the "seams" on both sides of the leg. She said it would be difficult to break the seam, and would look unnatural. These are Dockers Alpha . They are like a 7.5 opening, i want to taper em about an inch. I know you guys have tapered Alphas before.

is she just trying to get out of a harder job lol? i know shes capable, she does all types of alterations..suits, dresses etc

I like going to this tailor, she is good and also charges $12 dollars for a taper, while the guy down the street charges $28..dude who charges $28 used to do the messiest stitching so thats a no go.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm always interested in the Man bag/Murse discussion. I have carried some sort of bag (Totes, Backpacks, Briefcases, etc) in my professional career since day one. Dappered has a really good article for those who are still on the fence. Either you like it or you have bulging pockets. (Pause)

http://dappered.com/2013/09/style-debate-the-man-bag/

I never really had anything against a murse but I just do not carry that much stuff to justify carrying one everyday. Wallet, car keys, chapstick, phone, gum/breath mints and a camera (S95) all fits in my pockets.

I do prefer backpacks or messengers bags though since I like my hands free most of the time.

[

I wanted to get these chinos tapered, but my tailor said she can't due to the "seams" on both sides of the leg. She said it would be difficult to break the seam, and would look unnatural. These are Dockers Alpha . They are like a 7.5 opening, i want to taper em about an inch. I know you guys have tapered Alphas before.

I like going to this tailor, she is good and also charges $12 dollars for a taper, while the guy down the street charges $28..dude who charges $28 used to do the messiest stitching so thats a no go.

Thoughts?

Find a new and better tailor.

is she just trying to get out of a harder job lol? i know shes capable, she does all types of alterations..suits, dresses etc

Thoughts?

Yeah it's hard to alter dockers. They have a closed seam on both sides.

I'm telling y'all, finding a proper menswear tailor is not easy unless you live in a larger city or somewhere in Europe. Tailoring is different than just doing alterations.
So true.

I would say she doesn't believe that she can do the job. At least she is honest with herself and not giving you crap and messing up your pants.

I'm telling y'all, finding a proper menswear tailor is not easy unless you live in a larger city or somewhere in Europe. Tailoring is different than just doing alterations.

THIS
Unless you live in a fashion forward city, most tailors have no idea of the latest trends. Around my way they are usually elder immigrant men and women just trying to make a living. They haven't the slightest clue what is in GQ lol.
I don't hate because tailoring is just a job and a way to pay the bills, but sometimes it is frustrating!

Last edited:
THIS
Unless you live in a fashion forward city, most tailors have no idea of the latest trends. Around my way they are usually elder immigrant men and women just trying to make a living. They haven't the slightest clue what is in GQ lol. NO DO THEY CARE
I don't hate because tailoring is just a job and a way to pay the bills, but sometimes it is frustrating!

My tailor is in a suburban area. Man is on god damn point. Haven't ever tried to go somewhere else nor do I care to. He's old school AF but he knows how freaking particular I can be. He won't fight anything I ask him to do. I'm thinking now I gotta get him a dope Christmas gift this year :lol:

I'm always interested in the Man bag/Murse discussion. I have carried some sort of bag (Totes, Backpacks, Briefcases, etc) in my professional career since day one. Dappered has a really good article for those who are still on the fence. Either you like it or you have bulging pockets. (Pause)

I never really had anything against a murse but I just do not carry that much stuff to justify carrying one everyday. Wallet, car keys, chapstick, phone, gum/breath mints and a camera (S95) all fits in my pockets.

I do prefer backpacks or messengers bags though since I like my hands free most of the time.
I'm a messenger bag guy myself, I keep books/magazines/sketch pads etc on me, I found a cool navy blue one union jack ben sherman bag during a trip to cali a few years a go that's my go to, but I think I need to step it up to the grown man leather bag soon. 

ha u tell my old as f italian immigrant tailor, Angelo he dont know nothing.

yall magazine fashion.

he is fashion.

dipset!

yall magazine fashion.

he is fashion.

dipset!
I'm saying though, downplaying a tailor who's an OG out here cause they're not up on the latest GQ look. 
laugh.gif

Not saying finding a good tailor isn't hard but come on. 

Last edited:

Messenger and briefcase bag M-F for me, such a huge difference between what I carry on my body.

This is very true. I have gotten lucky to find a tailor 5 minutes from the house who does great work. Granted I will not take jackets to him besides shortening of the sleeve. This is based on the fact that when he has people come in he rarely takes in the sides. For harder alterations like taking in the shoulders, waist suppression I take it to The Tailoring Room to Franklin, great and amazing work and a great guy!

My tailor is in a suburban area. Man is on god damn point. Haven't ever tried to go somewhere else nor do I care to. He's old school AF but he knows how freaking particular I can be. He won't fight anything I ask him to do. I'm thinking now I gotta get him a dope Christmas gift this year :lol:

We're lucky we have found a really good tailor(s). I have to get both my tailors a little something for Christmas, my wife needs to get a little something for hers as well.

How do I get those Kent Wangs if I'm not in NYC. Wouldn't mind the white pair and possibly the greys.
Their online site.

You don't find that stuff bulky in your pockets?

I keep my phone, money clip and camera in my pouch. Only have keys, wallet and Chapstick in my front pockets and that's bulky enough.

I'm trying out a guy who is about 5 minutes from work for me, hopefully he's good, google reviews seemed good but yeah I live in colorado springs so my selection isn't the best, dropped off a coat and blazer I need taken in since I recently dropped a few lb's  

My Vietnamese tailor charges dirt cheap prices for really good tailoring jobs. She does everything exactly to my specifications. $8 hems, $6 tapers, etc. Got an entire suit altered for $50. She gets everything done in a couple days too :pimp: I'm always surprised at how some people are spending close to $100 tailoring one pair of pants or something. I would rather just buy a more expensive, better fitting item

Last edited:

yall magazine fashion.

he is fashion.

dipset!

No fam, that's exactly what I'm saying. That type of tailor is the kind I'm looking for. They're hard to come by in most areas of the US. Sadly tailoring isn't really a trade that's sought after in this country. I posted a video a while back with Martin Greenfield saying not many young men are wanting to become tailors these days because you can learn about computers faster and make more money doing that than the years it takes to become a tailor. The same can be said about American shoemakers, outside of Alden and Allen Edmonds what other American shoemaker are there?

Last edited:
Alot of tailors who own their shop don't even do the alterations. They meet and greet you, and pin you up, but they have people in the back who you never see who are the ones sewing. I see this at most high tailor shops

Alot of tailors who own their shop don't even do the alterations. They meet and greet you, and pin you up, but they have people in the back who you never see who are the ones sewing. I see this at most high tailor shops
Bruh thats most dry cleaners

You don't find that stuff bulky in your pockets?

I keep my phone, money clip and camera in my pouch. Only have keys, wallet and Chapstick in my front pockets and that's bulky enough.

Not at all. My wallet is a cardholder and when I bring my Lexus, I have a card key so that stays in the cardholder and I always leave my house keys in the car so that saves plenty of pocket space. Micro-pack gum is a genius of an idea and camera is once in a while. So it isn't bulky at all. When I wear a jacket, wallet goes in he jacket pocket too.

Back
Top Bottom