Dressing better

Originally Posted by Freakazoid

Originally Posted by Kaws

Tom-Felton-Won-2011-MTV-Best-Villain-Award-12.jpg

Feeling this outfit. Blazer seemed a little baggy though

I was thinking the same thing while watching the award show. The desert boot was piff.
pimp.gif
I believe his suit is from indochino

Originally Posted by RFX45

In the MTV Movie Awards, I actually like Goslings look a lot.
Leather with a tee plus a blue tux trousers.
nJPZN.jpg

damn. they totally eye +#%##*$ the hell outta each other
roll.gif

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by UbUiBeMe

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo
This. I'm about 30 minutes away from the outlet. How did you find out about the 40% off? Email?
nerd.gif
Memorial day and Labor day are 2 days that you just cant miss going to the outlets for.  Even the whole Armani store was 60% off.  Too bad I cant afford a $7,000 suit even at 60% off.
laugh.gif
I'm on BB's mailing list, so I get emails.  I actually get emails from all the reg stores I shop at (JCrew, Gap, BB, Banana, etc), it's the only reason I kept my AOL account,
laugh.gif

I was just too lazy to go to the outlets.

Not sure if this topic has been covered before in this thread, but I've been wondering:

What are the rules for wearing a blazer that's a different color from the dress pants? I see it from time to time but never know if I have the right pieces in my wardrobe to pull it off.  Are there general rules for this?

Here's the most recent pic I've seen. Thanks, all help is greatly appreciated!

bosh.jpg

Originally Posted by dimsum1

Not sure if this topic has been covered before in this thread, but I've been wondering:

What are the rules for wearing a blazer that's a different color from the dress pants? I see it from time to time but never know if I have the right pieces in my wardrobe to pull it off.  Are there general rules for this?

Here's the most recent pic I've seen. Thanks, all help is greatly appreciated!

bosh.jpg

Bosh looks pretty good there. And that is a great question. 
Generally, you want to cover three things: 

1. Color

2. Texture

3. Pattern

Check out my blog for a write up i did on this: 

Originally Posted by JSoN619

all J. Crew button down shirts are 30% off online with free shipping.
are the slim fit ones supposed to say slim on the tag? i own one pair that has no mention of a slim fit but feels like one. dont really shop much at jcrew unless theres something i want on sale.

Can anyone recommend any solid Oxford shirts, light blue.

I have a couple, not a huge fan of them and want to upgrade.  $50-70 range preferrably.

I'll second what the poster said on the last page.

Nii - where does one find slim fit dress shirts with a semi-spread or spread collar and LONGER collar points?

Does anyone have or know where I could get instore coupons for Gap or Banana Republic?

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Actually from a distance that fit is not a bad fit. grey/blue/red do go together. the problem is that when you come up close, the pattern of the shirt clashes with the pattern of the tie. additionally, the shirt needs longer collar points (i dont know why ppl love the emaciated collar points). 
if he threw on a matching jacket, went with a slightly different tie in the same collar and his shirt points were longer that would be a super dope fit. 
I always see you post a comment about how short everyone's collar points are. Not in any attack towards you at all. But I was wondering where I can find nice slim fitting shirts with longer collar points? It's not that we get short ones on purpose, it's that we don't know where to look for any other ones. The shirts we buy fit nicely to our bodies, but we don't pay attention to the collar points until, well, after you point it out
laugh.gif
It's hard to find the perfect shirt. So nii, I ask you. Where can we purchase a nice fitting shirt with good collar points, that won't break our pockets? (Along with some nice spread collared shirts as well?)

for example... my collar points over 3.5 inches..the collar points someone else posted barely 2
How does it fit throughout the body? Full pic please? What brand and price? A bigger wider knot would be better yes?

I was wondering how this thread has over 1000 pages, until I scrolled through a couple of the comments....
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Personally, I prefer shorter collar points. I'm only about 5'10'' and I'm of average/sort of slim build. Large collars make my head and body look disproportionate. I mean, having a collar that reaches half way to my nipple is OD in my case. However, I think some brands go a little too far in the way of modernism. People with one inch collars and ties are doing a little too much, I think. Honestly, I think those overly-skinny ties just scream, "look at me, I'm a douche bag."

I'm also interested to hear Nii's advice regarding how to find longer collar points.

And while you're at it, do you think Magnanni makes a decent pair of shoes? Thanks man.

3.5inches look a bit long (no mo)
I think 2.5-3 is good no?
I measured some of mine and they are 2inches to 2.5inches. So I'm on the lookout
nerd.gif

i have answered questions about shirt collars a few times here. i do think my response gets lost in the shuffle though. i'll put a detailed write up out on the blog later ... but for now here is a summary.
1. shirt collars depends on your facial features. in general long faced folks need wide spread collars, whereas round faced folks need shorter spread collars.

2. irrespective of the spread of your collar, the general rule of thumb is to let your collar points slide under your jacket - makes for a cleaner look. obviously button downs do not meet this aesthetic. 

3. so to the million dollar question ... long collar points ... cheap option is the duke of york windsor collars of TM Lewin. the windsor is wider spread than the duke of york. more expensive option (mid priced) is probably valentino or borrelli ... many options on eBay. 

4. best option in my opinion is to go to a local tailor and work with them. if you look around hard, you would find a tailor that could make shirts for you for 60-100 bucks. sounds pricey at the onset, but consider a 40 dollar shirt and 30 dollar alteration and you are almost there. with a custom shirt maker, you can select your fabric, the length of your collar points etc etc. 

tip: charles tyrwhitt has really short collar points in my experience. they look long online. avoid them if you want fairly longer collar points. 

hope this answers it.  

Back
Top Bottom