Dressing better

Nii--noticed a few things:

1. Do you always buy jackets that have "soft shoulders". These seem to all fit better than padded shoulders.

2. I noticed you wearing a tie with a button down collar. I thought button down collars were stricly for casual shirts without ties to keep the collar sticking up. Kind of defeats the purpose when you have a tie on.

Originally Posted by dukeben18

Nii--noticed a few things:

1. Do you always buy jackets that have "soft shoulders". These seem to all fit better than padded shoulders.

2. I noticed you wearing a tie with a button down collar. I thought button down collars were stricly for casual shirts without ties to keep the collar sticking up. Kind of defeats the purpose when you have a tie on.

great observations and questions ... 

yes - i primarily buy jackets soft/natural shoulders. i have built up shoulders already, so with padding, it just looks off. this is part of the journey of dressing better ... knowing your body and what works/doesnt. i do have a few (less than 5) suits/jackets with structured shoulders, but i wear them only occassionally.

button down collars are (and i stand corrected) america's response to dressing better dress shirt style. on this side of the pond they can be worn with or without ties. In Europe, it is heavily frowned and you will rarely see Europeans wearing button down collars with ties. when i usually wear them, its with a casual suit (eg khaki suit, linen suit, cotton suits etc). On occassion, i've worn them with city/downtown/business suits ... usually its either because its the best shirt for the combination i was going for - or because i am meeting with traditional american folks who will appreciate a button down collar (see you as understanding what it is to being american ... go figure ...lol)

Grey is so dope and versatile imo. From pewter to charcoal to heather grey, they all really look good on me 
laugh.gif

Especially slacks and khaks.

really really beautiful (hot as hell) day in SF today.  decided to wear something breathable.
Fred Perry x Raf Simons (one of the FEW they couldn't fake to death!)
Ksubi
Bass
IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

Originally Posted by damn its me

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

fashionable sweats=corny

I think you just need to step your sweatpant game up. boat shoes were corny, workwear is corny....get with it.  even if your not a RL sweatpant and lanvins cat, show some respect.

show some respect for what? that #!$$ looks corny as f#$%

Nii--thanks for the reply. I am learning a lot from you in these past few threads.

While we are on the subject of Americana, i noticed most American dress shirts have box pleats on the back. These look terrible on me (I have a slimmer build) and just create excess fabric all teh way down the shirt and even down to the waist when tucked in. Do you buy only shirts with side pleasts or no pleast? (I've always seen you in your pictures with a jacket on so i can't tell and I've never seen your back). And if so, where can you find them?

Originally Posted by 18th letter

Originally Posted by damn its me

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

fashionable sweats=corny

I think you just need to step your sweatpant game up. boat shoes were corny, workwear is corny....get with it.  even if your not a RL sweatpant and lanvins cat, show some respect.

show some respect for what? that #!$$ looks corny as f#$%
clearly you didnt get the memo.

cheers,
-shawn

Originally Posted by Fade On You

Strong mustache 

gracias
glasses.gif

Nice fit but are you serious with stache? Damn you are brave. I don't know if I could take a person my age seriously if he had that type of stache. To be honest, it takes away from the fit. People will be focusing on your stache so much that your clothes will be an afterthought. I know I did at first.

bijald0331 wrote:
Nice fit but are you serious with stache? Damn you are brave. I don't know if I could take a person my age seriously if he had that type of stache. To be honest, it takes away from the fit. People will be focusing on your stache so much that your clothes will be an afterthought. I know I did at first.

to be quite honest, I think of myself as a pretty annoying looking guy, thick browline, im pretty darn pasty white, so this bit of novelty has actually done me none but good.

Plus, i live in San Francisco, other people will tell you it's definitely a lot more experimental/accepting environment to any attempt at individuality. 

Plus, my girlfriend digs it, and I'd be a fool to go against that!

Plus, it took me 20+ years to grow ANY kind of facial hair...im not letting go just yet!

Plus, you try gorwing one!

I do get a lot of commentary, most of it positive, and yes it definitely does take away from ANYTHING else on me...normally im in workwear or english cuts (nerdwear) (when it's not hot as balls) which has a little more continuity with the stache than todays look....im just trying not to sweat my balls off out here!  Perry/ben sherman/type button ups go surprisingly good with a douche bag mustache, you'd be surprised!

Originally Posted by dukeben18

Nii--thanks for the reply. I am learning a lot from you in these past few threads.

While we are on the subject of Americana, i noticed most American dress shirts have box pleats on the back. These look terrible on me (I have a slimmer build) and just create excess fabric all teh way down the shirt and even down to the waist when tucked in. Do you buy only shirts with side pleasts or no pleast? (I've always seen you in your pictures with a jacket on so i can't tell and I've never seen your back). And if so, where can you find them?

majority of my shirts are the slim fits from TM Lewin or the BB Extra Slim fit ... i have a bunch of other designers sprinkled in there ... but to answer your question, the TM Lewins come with no pleats and darts in the back ... the BB has no darts if i remember correctly. I'll check when i get home.

They both have been good value for the money. The lewins shrunk a fair bit, so if you do get them i recommend sizing a half to full size up. But they have really unique colors/designs, and the cloth is generally great.  

Haha off topic but its "stachetember" at my job so all the guys have to have a mustache for september and yours is
pimp.gif
...can anyone recommend me some casual shoes to wear with jeans and t-shirts/flannels? I was thinking of some all black Vans but I'm not sure if that would work. Any advice would be appreciated
smile.gif
. Thanks! By the way RFX, nildawg and Nacho you guys have some nice clothes
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Al Audi

niidawg and rfx are the best dressed dudes on here...........they get too clean, i dont even wanna get that clean

BowWow-3.jpg

like for me this is super clean.

for those wondering, those glasses are dita statesman.

Back
Top Bottom