Dressing better

Originally Posted by alsquared

What do you guys think of the extra slim fit gingham shirts from Brooks brothers? They're having a buy 2 for 99 sale right now btw

Word. How do the extra slim fit BB shirts fit? Exactly how slim is it?

I've been told that even the slim fit in BB fits like BR and J.Crew (which is too big for me).

This might be the wrong thread for this question but does anyone have any information on possible deals going on at J. Crew for Black Friday?

Originally Posted by retroflashbacks

What do you guys think of the extra slim fit gingham shirts from Brooks brothers? They're having a buy 2 for 99 sale right now btw

Word. How do the extra slim fit BB shirts fit? Exactly how slim is it?

I've been told that even the slim fit in BB fits like BR and J.Crew (which is too big for me).
regular slim fit is not slim at all, imo. extra slim fit is like a real slim fit.

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

I put a crease in my jeans personally
sick.gif

Originally Posted by UnbornSeed

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Originally Posted by domc03

"You’ll generally find that American Suits will come with pleated pants and European Suits will come with Flat Front pants. If you’re wearing pleated pants, then you must also have a nicely planted crease. If you’re wearing flat front pants, the crease is optional. While it is true that 9 out of 10 times, you’ll see creases with suit pants (regardless of whether they are pleated or not), this does not have to be the case. Creases are synonymous with tradition while the absence of creases usually indicates a modern look. Not everyone can wear flat front pants well (i.e. you’ll need a slimmer figure to wear them well). If you’re wearing khakis or jeans, though, skip the crease." from blog.suitupp.com

smh at the inaccuracies in this write up. the internet has made everyone an expert on everything.

or in your case, this thread.

huh?

someone posted up a drawing comparing the three types of brooks' shirts. i tried to find it, but didnt have any luck, but from personal experience, the extra slim  gingham shirts are damn near perfect. the right shaping in the body, the cloth is great and they have several really nice colors. i think RFX may have picked up some too and so i hope he chimes in more on this. but i highly recommend the extra slims.

I bought an extra slim fit from BB and it's pretty good. Much slimmer than their regular or slim fits, and it is truly a slim fit shirt.

That said, I don't think it's perfect by any means. The cut is not as good as Nordstrom's TrimFit, for example, and it falls far below the slim fits of slightly more expensive brands like Hugo Boss.

If it's on sale it's probably worth copping though.

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Nii- can you run through the types of collars for me please..

Here is a picture of the various types of collars (generally - a couple appear missing):
types-of-collars.jpg

Here is a good article on the types of collars and which works best:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5435827_types-collars-dress-shirts.html

Summary: Its important to select one that frames your face right. Using myself as an example, i have a round face, so an extra wide cut-away collar would make my face look wider. A pin collar would also be disproportionate to my face because my upper face would look wider, and my chin would look smaller. I need a semi/medium spread which will be proportional to the size of my face. Thats the biggest rule i know of w.r.t. collars - get one that frames your face well.  

Beyond that, its the usual - get quality, get a mix of collars for various occassions etc.

Hope it helps.

Nii,

I know you mentioned TM Lewin before..is the quality of BB better or is it about the same?

Thanks.

Edit: Is it also slim like the BB extra slim?

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I bought an extra slim fit from BB and it's pretty good. Much slimmer than their regular or slim fits, and it is truly a slim fit shirt.

That said, I don't think it's perfect by any means. The cut is not as good as Nordstrom's TrimFit, for example, and it falls far below the slim fits of slightly more expensive brands like Hugo Boss.

If it's on sale it's probably worth copping though.

Never tried on either the Nordy or the Hugo Boss ones you mentioned. But the BB Slim Fits i have are some of the best shirts in my wardrobe - and i have quite a few shirts from English and Italian makers. Now if you REALLY wanna ball - get some finamore or anna mattuozo shirts .... lol. Best shirts out there. PS - dont own any of them, but pics and reviews on SF prove they are by far the best. Hope to make a trip to Italy one day to commission some shirts - all in due time.

Originally Posted by retroflashbacks

Nii,

I know you mentioned TM Lewin before..is the quality of BB better or is it about the same?

Thanks.

Edit: Is it also slim like the BB extra slim?

TM Lewin Slim Fit is about as slim as the BB extra slim. However the TM Lewin shrinks quite a bit, so i'd recommend sizing up (i buy 16.5/35 even though i am a 16/34ish). Had to sell most of my 16/34s after a couple washes because they shrunk quite a bit. In terms of quality, i'd say teh BB seems to be holding up a little better than the TM Lewins. I have had a few BB Extra Slim ginghams for about 3 years now and they show ZERO signs of wear. I have had to have a couple TM Lewin shirts fixed (buttons, stitching etc - nothing major) but not as solid as the BB.

I agree with PersiaFly - both can be had at a pretty good discount ... and that is the best time to buy them. I need some new shirts, but i am holding out, hoping the TM Lewin 5 for 100 deal comes back again. So far - no luck.

I just tried on the BB XSF and the Nordstrom TF and I think my main complaint with the BB is that it's not nearly as long as the Nordstrom shirt. This is a problem for me because I'm 6'4".

For others it might not be as much of an issue, especially since the shirts fit similarly well otherwise.

Can anyone recommend me a nice canvas beige/khaki/brown color messenger bag or bookbag? I've been using a NorthFace for the past few years and I've changed up my wardrobe, so it looks a little awkward to be wearing a NorthFace Recon with my clothes on around in school
laugh.gif

I'm looking for some advice on my next purchase, so let me know what you guys think:

Red Wing Iron Ranger
768-609-RW08111C_CMY_NB_1107.jpg

Wolverine 1000 Mile Original:
wolverine-1000-mile-boots-hypebeast-2.jpg

Originally Posted by Respect21

I'm looking for some advice on my next purchase, so let me know what you guys think:

Red Wing Iron Ranger
768-609-RW08111C_CMY_NB_1107.jpg

wolverine-1000-mile-boots-hypebeast-2.jpg
As you can probably tell from the sole, the Iron rangers are a death trap in ice & snow. Don't know whether thats going to be an issue for you where you're at.. Aside from that though, they look good and are comfortable..

Them wolverines you posted are nice though, quite similar to the redwing 9016

large-red-wing-9016-lace-boot-cigar.jpg

or the 9011 (black cherry version)

d0148259_42154100.jpg

They do a black version too, the 9014...

I think i'm getting a pair of these this winter cause they look like they can hold the road.

Originally Posted by Smedroc

Originally Posted by Respect21

Red Wing Iron Ranger

As you can probably tell from the sole, the Iron rangers are a death trap in ice & snow. Don't know whether thats going to be an issue for you where you're at.. Aside from that though, they look good and are comfortable..

Them wolverines you posted are nice though, quite similar to the redwing 9016

or the 9011 (black cherry version)

They do a black version too, the 9014...

I think i'm getting a pair of these this winter cause they look like they can hold the road.
The Wolverine 1000 Mile is actually a leather sole with a Vibram heel, so they would probably be even worse.

Back
Top Bottom