Dressing better

Originally Posted by Answer IV DMX

Ok tailoring question.  I have an event this weekend and I want to wear one of my black suits.  I'm thinking about going with a pocket square for the first time.  I just pulled the suit out and realized that the chest pocket is partially sewn shut (probably 1-1 1/2 inches threading, the other inch is open).  Now I would imagine that would cause some problems if I went with a pocket square
laugh.gif
.  I have some amateur thread and needle skills and figure that it would be a easy fix to de-thread it myself.  However, it is a nice Boss and I don't want to end up loosening the pocket too much (if that is even possible...).

Any suggestions on whether I should take it to a tailor or do it myself?  I don't really know how that ever surpassed me when I was originally getting it tailored.  Might have to just call around later and see what the tailors have to say about it.

RFX got it ... its called basting ... and that is how most new suits come. Its definitely a DIY job ...

Black suit though? Is it for an evening event? If not, i'd suggest going with navy, charcoal or grey.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Ok tailoring question.  I have an event this weekend and I want to wear one of my black suits.  I'm thinking about going with a pocket square for the first time.  I just pulled the suit out and realized that the chest pocket is partially sewn shut (probably 1-1 1/2 inches threading, the other inch is open).  Now I would imagine that would cause some problems if I went with a pocket square
laugh.gif
.  I have some amateur thread and needle skills and figure that it would be a easy fix to de-thread it myself.  However, it is a nice Boss and I don't want to end up loosening the pocket too much (if that is even possible...).

Any suggestions on whether I should take it to a tailor or do it myself?  I don't really know how that ever surpassed me when I was originally getting it tailored.  Might have to just call around later and see what the tailors have to say about it.

RFX got it ... its called basting ... and that is how most new suits come. Its definitely a DIY job ...

Black suit though? Is it for an evening event? If not, i'd suggest going with navy, charcoal or grey.

Thanks Niidawg and RFX.  When I looked at the threading it did appear that it could be accomplished pretty easily.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tack_(sewing)Definitely a Basting stitch

It is for an evening event but not black tie.  Should I stay away from pocket squares for formal events?

laugh.gif

Thanks Niidawg and RFX.  When I looked at the threading it did appear that it could be accomplished pretty easily. 

It is for an evening event but not black tie.  Should I stay away from pocket squares for formal events?

No you are fine with a pocket square... but my advice would be a crisp white pocket square in a tv fold

laugh.gif

Thanks Niidawg and RFX.  When I looked at the threading it did appear that it could be accomplished pretty easily. 

No you are fine with a pocket square... but my advice would be a crisp white pocket square in a tv fold
Reading my mind.  White was the thought and the next question was going to be how to fold.  Assuming there are some good youtube's/instructions on how to make the proper fold out there somewhere.

From Details:
[h1]THIRTEEN ESSENTIAL OUTFITS FOR LIVING IN THE CITY[/h1][h2]CONQUER THE CONCRETE JUNGLE IN VERSATILE CLASSICS LIKE SLIM-CUT WINDBREAKERS AND CRISP GO-ANYWHERE SUITS.[/h2]
JFK4_SSV.jpg
JFK13_SSH.jpg

JFK6_SSV.jpg
JFK3_SSV.jpg
JFK8_SSV.jpg

JFK10_SSV.jpg
JFK7_SSV.jpg
JFK11_SSV.jpg

JFK9_SSV.jpg
JFK2_SSV.jpg
JFK1_SSV.jpg

JFK12_SSH.jpg
JFK5_SSV.jpg

[h1]THE 7 DEADLY FASHION, STYLE, AND GROOMING CHOICES THAT COULD BE THE LAST MISTAKES YOU EVER MAKE[/h1][h2]QUESTIONABLE DRESS AND BEHAVIOR CHOICES CAN EVOKE RIDICULE FROM WOMEN, FRIENDS, AND COWORKERS—BUT THOSE CALLS MAY ACTUALLY BE HARMING YOUR HEALTH.[/h2]

PeteWentz_VSS.jpg

WEARING SUPER-SKINNY HIPSTER JEANS

Why It's Not So Cool: Leave the painted-on Levi's on the rack unless you're an indie rocker like Pete Wentz. 
The Health Risk: Doctors have noticed cases of meralgia paresthetica, or nerve-related numbness, in fans of skinny jeans. "The crotch (especially in men) and certain areas of the leg are sensitive to pressure," says Mark Moyad, M.D., and codirector of the men's health program at the University of Michigan. This goes for tighty-whities as well. If your current choice of underwear is so constricting you can't feel your boys, for the love of God, try some boxers.

Tie_VSS.jpg

TYING YOUR TIE REALLY TIGHT

Why It's Not So Cool: A triple chin is generally not a good look.
The Health RiskResearchers have found that noose-like neckties can raise the blood pressure within your eyes—a factor that researchers believe may increase the risk of glaucoma. "A tight tie can reduce circulation of the carotid arteries of the neck going to the eyes and brain," says Moyad. So loosen up a bit and your eyes will thank you.

Tattoo_VSS.jpg

COVERING YOUR BODY IN TATTOOS

Why It's Not So Cool: David Beckham can pull this off, but unless you, too, have a 12-pack, the saggy body as canvas is less than a work of art. 
The Health Risk: A British studyreports that people with more than three tattoos generally suffered from low self-esteem. Of course, this isn't a hard-and-fast rule. "Obtaining a tattoo, especially if it's a rebellious decision, can be an exercise in control and reinforce the basic need for power and autonomy," says New York City-based cognitive behavioral therapist Jayme Albin, Ph.D. Of course, you can always assert your control and win brownie points with a "I Heart Mom" tat—but you'll be missing the rebel aspect entirely.

JerseyShore_VSS.jpg

LOOKING LIKE GEORGE HAMILTON

Why It's Not So Cool: Two words—Jersey Shore.
The Health Risk: See Spot. See Spot sun. See Spot's liver spots. In a study from the University of Texas, only 14 percent of men covered all exposed areas of skin, while 69 percent of women did. "You should apply enough [sunscreen] to coat your sun-exposed areas evenly without leaving any residue," says David J. Leffell, M.D., professor of dermatology and surgery at the Yale School of Medicine. And ditch the outdated trucker hat, too. "A cap does not protect the ears, and we see many skin cancers specifically on the top of the ears," says Leffell. Just to be safe: Why not take a cocktail break (in the shade) from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.? You may not only avoid getting skin cancer but also save money on Botox in a few years.

dirtynails_VSS.jpg

DISPLAYING DIRTY FINGERNAILS

Why It's Not So Cool: Why bother hitting the gym and dressing for success when a speck of crud hiding under the tip of your pinkie screams "Mama never taught me how to wash myself!" 
The Health Risk: A Britishstudy showed that 24 percent of men harbor germs under their nails that could cause gastroenteritis. And experts say this is because the space under your nails is a prime breeding ground for a veritable cornucopia of viruses, including E. coli and salmonella. "It's particularly a problem if you're handling food," says Charles Gerba, Ph.D., a microbiologist at the University of Arizona. Lucky for guys, short nails are easier to keep clean than the talons some ladies sport—and let's just hope she's washing well before making you a cheeseburger.

zoolander_HSS.jpg

OBSESSIVELY TEXTING/TALKING ON A CELL PHONE

Why It's Not So Cool: We get it. You are super important and busy. But, if Obama can disconnect long enough to play some B-ball, maybe you can chill out for a bit?
The Health Risk: Some researchers claim there's a link between lowered semen quality (which included sperm count and motility, i.e., the ability to swim and succeed) and higher rates of cell-phone usage. "We found very high levels of free radicals in the semen samples that were exposed to cell-phone radiation,

Very bad idea, leather needs moisture or else it will crack.
Putting it in the dryer will not shrink it at all but it will damage it to a point that it cannot be fixed.

Yes, my boy got his leather tailored. It was one of those butter soft joints, as I imagine if would be more difficult if the leather was thick and tough.

lets get the spring lines going

im pretty much done copping winter gear...i can survive the next 2 months with my set inventory
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TheGrimm

lets get the spring lines going

im pretty much done copping winter gear...i can survive the next 2 months with my set inventory
laugh.gif
I'm on a hunt for some rugbies and long sleeve t's (various forms, ie v neck and buttoned upper half), but not having much luck yet.  I don't think many stores got their Spring line in yet.

I've been out of the loop but are there any promotional sales going on for banana republic right now (or anytime soon)?

eek.gif
Damn I really need this jacket, info anyone? EDIT: nvm I found it, its from the gap anyone know know how their jackets fit?
JFK13_SSH.jpg

before i read "gap" i was gonna say that
laugh.gif
......idk if its exactly the same but its very similar.....both gap stores here don't have it
smh.gif

Windy Monday in teh A:

Lack of Focus:

Lots of Focus:
eek.gif
 Great execution. I was a bit surprised to see the black shoes instead of brown, but you set it off nicely with the black pocket-square. I need a grey suit badly. 

Originally Posted by eeibaby

The only difference is the collar, gap doesn't have that shawl type of neck collar

It does, the other collar is removable and the shawl collar is underneath. My brother has that exact coat.

582.png

581.png

pimp.gif
@ that tie boss. Good work.
Originally Posted by TheGrimm

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I feel you, but I tend to buy clothes regardless of the season. I.eI'll still be looking for winter stuff come July and I bought somesummer s- like 2 weeks ago.

I just buy what I like. I don't really abide by the 'seasonal rules' (like color, fabrics, etc) except for like common sense *#+%, like not wearing a heavy coat in the summer.

Originally Posted by Falcon4567

The only difference is the collar, gap doesn't have that shawl type of neck collar

It does, the other collar is removable and the shawl collar is underneath. My brother has that exact coat.
Oh I see it now

Jacket is
pimp.gif

Definite pickup for spring, still undecided on the color though.

Suggestions tan or navy?

Can you tell me how it fits? I'm 6'2 and 190 lbs, I think a medium/large will fit like the one in the picture.

Oh I see it now

Jacket is
pimp.gif

Definite pickup for spring, still undecided on the color though.

Suggestions tan or navy?

Go with the tan one, there is always allot of navy clothes for spring and summer, tan colored clothes is a little bit harder to find and sets off the outfits more imo. I will definitely but the tan colored jacket.

Back
Top Bottom