DUNE (new film incoming, love the book, also loved the multiple Lynch versions)

just about to watch Dune today at home on my TV via on demand. I must say so far, the remake is giving me some positive impressions overall. been a fan of the books and of the games and I must say that this is so far the best movie adaptation of the book. very entertaining and great storytelling and backstory. a slight depart from the literary conventional book progression. this way, it doesn't alienate viewers that have no idea of what Dune is all about and non-readers of the book. it gave a better understanding to what a great novel it is. I must say the remake is giving justice to the novel and because of the availability of resources for making a sci-fi movie of this magnitude gives us that vision of what the story is.

Cinematography was fire. I never really liked the 84 version at all. I enjoyed this one.
the novel was ahead of it's time. too bad they didn't have that technological advancement in cinematography during that time. also, the storytelling was kinda bland. if you were not a book reader, you would definitely lose interest.
the remake though is different. it pretty much explained what is going on and who is who and why should we care.

Fantastic movie, I'm really surprised someone managed to adapt the books this well. You can tell Villeneuve is a huge fan and really put in the work to create a faithful adaptation. It's been a long time since I read them but I feel like the movie captured all the most significant parts very well. I remember the books throwing a ton of information, names, etc. at you but I think the movie gets the point across without being impossible to follow for people who don't know anything about the books.
it is a great adaptation finally. no offense to David Lynch. but staying true to the book somehow alienated the typical viewers that knew nothing of the novel. what I immediately noticed was the difference on the presentation and storytelling which somehow guided the typical viewer of what the story is all about, the characters and their relevance. if I weren't a book reader nor played the games, I wouldn't even understand what was going on in the 1984 Dune movie.

I watched Dune (aka DUNC) a few days ago and it basically asked the question science fiction fans have been asking for about 40 years:

What if Star Wars took itself way too seriously?

Yes, I know that the novel came before Star Wars and George Lucas used some elements of Dune in his franchise. (Even from watching this film, you can easily tell which Dune elements were used in Star Wars.)

The cinematography and visuals were great and I didn't really hate anything about the film either.

I'm sure that Dennis Villenueve will dig much deeper into the source material in Part Two and any other sequels that may follow.
Dune is the grand-daddy of sci-fi. it practically what started Star Trek and Star Wars and other sci-fi movies.

This and finally someone took the blinders off. Maybe if I understood the lore it would hit me, Game of Thrones did that to me, but nah this one just ain’t it. It’s was very very very MEH. To be fair I do need to finish it, but I literally fell asleep on it.
this is understandable for someone who has no idea at all what Dune is all about. that would mean you are one of those typical occasional clueless viewers. sorry, that's the truth. as far as taking the blinders of, comparing the 2021 versus 1984, you haven't seen squat nor knew what you are talking about. I can share your same sentiment as far as the 1984 version. this is coming from a solid Dune follower. as far as the 2021 version is concerned, you know nothing Jon Snow. and that's not a matter of opinion, it's fact.

The big-screen epic continues the adaptation of Frank Herbert’s acclaimed bestseller with returning stars including Oscar nominee Timothée Chalamet (Call Me by Your Name), Zendaya (Spider-Man: No Way Home), Rebecca Ferguson (Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning), Oscar winner Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men, Being the Ricardos), Oscar nominee Josh Brolin (Avengers: Endgame), Stellan Skarsgård (Avengers: Age of Ultron), Dave Bautista (Thor: Love and Thunder), Oscar nominee Charlotte Rampling (45 Years), and Stephen McKinley Henderson (Fences).

Also joining the returning cast are Austin Butler (Elvis, Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood) as the notorious Feyd Rautha and screen legend Christopher Walken (The Deer Hunter, Hairspray) as the Emperor. Florence Pugh (Black Widow, Little Women), Léa Seydoux (Crimes of the Future) and Souheila Yacoub (the No Man’s Land series, Climax) round out the extensive ensemble.

giphy.gif

Man, I wish I was hipped to Dune years ago. This **** got hella layers. Love this concept. When watching it, and going in blind..I got a sense of post tech/AI, but hi human intelligence/spirituality and resourcefulness to their tech.

The pyramids struck me in a similar way, because that is one of the questions that evades modern humans. Our understanding of how all those old civilizations built massive architecture structures and tech like the pyramids etc. Then it made me think of time in a circular lens, and applying it to real day ****. Like, what if we can’t grasp how the Egyptians built the pyramids yet..because we only understand that to be possible through Technology and AI. And what if the past is the future, and vice versa

The mythology, landscape and world of dune is immersing. Going to do a lot more reading on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom