DUNE (new film incoming, love the book, also loved the multiple Lynch versions)

isnt there a ton of books they can adapt though? the first two films were based on the first book, right?

then theres a bunch of follow ups plus i think there is a prequel trilogy focusing on 3 of the houses

i do think it has to be denis and denis alone that adapts them to get a consistently good film out of the books but they can certainly pump them out for a while

I mean its well documented George Lucas read the Dune novels and used them as heavy inspiration when he created Star Wars.....

Always been a fan of star wars, always will be

But this is the new standard in SCI-FI/space drama now, the bar has been raised.

There's a new king on the space hill
Dune was ahead of it's time. a lot of novel enthusiasts consider the novel as the granddaddy of all sci-fi/fantasy movies that came after it. the prophecy of a chosen one. tribes/kingdoms/groups. good vs evil. I must say considering the complexity of the novel, a really great director is needed to give it justice.

isnt there a ton of books they can adapt though? the first two films were based on the first book, right?

then theres a bunch of follow ups plus i think there is a prequel trilogy focusing on 3 of the houses

i do think it has to be denis and denis alone that adapts them to get a consistently good film out of the books but they can certainly pump them out for a while
that's what I'm saying regarding choosing a proper director for the adaptation. Frank Herbert only managed to finish the first book unfortunately due to his untimely passing. his son though succeeded him. the succeeding books/novels are not really final definite works of Frank but were considered to be unfinished/unfinalized rough drafts. while some of the outcomes seems interesting, they weren't my choice as far as the final ending goes or how the story progressed. I don't want to put any spoilers or give an idea to ruin it. while it's a nice plot twist, it was not my desired ending.

i think denis would be able to navigate through a story and change stuff similar to the ending of the latest movie

that change is pretty huge on how the next film will adapt the next book and looks like denis plans to change stuff up

as long as denis is doing it though, im all for it

just wish wb wont interfere and force a universe where it results into too much cooks in the kitchen

with that said, got to try and go see this again this weekend, probably in dolby

i think denis would be able to navigate through a story and change stuff similar to the ending of the latest movie

that change is pretty huge on how the next film will adapt the next book and looks like denis plans to change stuff up

as long as denis is doing it though, im all for it

just wish wb wont interfere and force a universe where it results into too much cooks in the kitchen

with that said, got to try and go see this again this weekend, probably in dolby
I'm just waiting for the crowd to die down. possibly 2 weeks from now, I'm going to see it. with all the hype, I don't want a jampacked theater.

my bad, thought you saw it already, i hope i didnt ruin anything there

and yah, the dolby where i go are sold out through the weekend so i might try AMC prime, i think its like their 4dx with a subwoofer on their seats

my bad, thought you saw it already, i hope i didnt ruin anything there

and yah, the dolby where i go are sold out through the weekend so i might try AMC prime, i think its like their 4dx with a subwoofer on their seats
I'll be reserving those seats as well. last time I used one was for Top Gun: Maverick.

MOVIE LEFT ME SPEECHLESS! ABSOLUTELY AN CINEMATIC MASTERPIECE!

I’m all for Dune Messiah now. Hopefully it drops soon but I know Denis needs a break which is fine but I am definitely ready for the 3rd film.

What a movie! Holy smokes! This ish reminded me of Return of the King almost.

WATTBA! :pimp:

MOVIE LEFT ME SPEECHLESS! ABSOLUTELY AN CINEMATIC MASTERPIECE!

I’m all for Dune Messiah now. Hopefully it drops soon but I know Denis needs a break which is fine but I am definitely ready for the 3rd film.

What a movie! Holy smokes! This ish reminded me of Return of the King almost.

WATTBA! :pimp:

Attachments

• whatsayyou.gif
    whatsayyou.gif
    964.2 KB · Views: 1,120
Watched part one today (watched it before as well) but man some of the scenes hit even harder with perspective now...

You can feel the continuity.

Really digging gourney's character, probably my favorite so far.

Wish we got to see more of Leto

As much as I want to not like Timothy Chamalet, his Paul Atreides is great.

Apparently they made a 5 hour cut (part one) and showed it to cast and crew. There was also a 3.5+ hour cut floating around too...

I’m the definitely the Dune nerd in my friend group.

Watched part one today (watched it before as well) but man some of the scenes hit even harder with perspective now...

You can feel the continuity.

Really digging gourney's character, probably my favorite so far.

Wish we got to see more of Leto

As much as I want to not like Timothy Chamalet, his Paul Atreides is great.

Apparently they made a 5 hour cut (part one) and showed it to cast and crew. There was also a 3.5+ hour cut floating around too...

I’m the definitely the Dune nerd in my friend group.
where is that 5 hour cut? I gotta watch it.

The way the harkannens treated the people working for them was comedy. Like the mad tv skits of steven segal snapping people's necks.

Wow. What a movie. Dennis let Javier do his thing this film. Was the. I medic role Lowkey :lol:

Zendaya bae :frown:

See this like Star Wars. The chosen one and then what he chooses. I know this came out before. Any movie buff has to see this in theater. This is a damn experience.

If the info on wikipedia is reliable, Denis wants to make a movie for the next book and be done with his trilogy. That leaves four more books Herbert wrote. Some of the stories for them seem very messy sci-fi.

If the info on wikipedia is reliable, Denis wants to make a movie for the next book and be done with his trilogy. That leaves four more books Herbert wrote. Some of the stories for them seem very messy sci-fi.

Messy is an understatement…Villeneuve already made some fairly substantial changes (for the better I think) to this initial story and he’ll have to make even more to get Messiah to the screen…There’s some stuff in those later books that will absolutely be a non starter at all…

Keeping it a solid trilogy seems like would be the best move at this point…It keeps getting compared to the Lord of the Rings films and that’s another example of a series that should’ve been done after the trilogy was complete…Give Denis his trilogy and call it a day…

lol.
Wow. What a movie. Dennis let Javier do his thing this film. Was the. I medic role Lowkey :lol:

Zendaya bae :frown:

See this like Star Wars. The chosen one and then what he chooses. I know this came out before. Any movie buff has to see this in theater. This is a damn experience.
When I got to the end I was like WTF.

This was definitely the anti Star Wars and MCU work. The cinematography, the effects (except for one scenes), the soundtrack, and great performances from this new Hollywood crew. Even as a sci fi movie, this is great cinema. I’d love to see it in IMAX.

Messy is an understatement…Villeneuve already made some fairly substantial changes (for the better I think) to this initial story and he’ll have to make even more to get Messiah to the screen…There’s some stuff in those later books that will absolutely be a non starter at all…

Keeping it a solid trilogy seems like would be the best move at this point…It keeps getting compared to the Lord of the Rings films and that’s another example of a series that should’ve been done after the trilogy was complete…Give Denis his trilogy and call it a day…
I’m not upset when changes are made for the better. That’s why I like Invincible.

I don’t think this is as “even” as LoTR. Jackson did a great job of making each a compelling film on their own. And the action was evenly dispersed. Dune Part one is exposition and world building. Not enough action.

Paul and his mom are definitely horrible human manipulators. All of the colonizers are.

If you watch the movie with rose tinted glasses, it can appear Paul is benign (while his mom is clearly overt in her pursuits to manipulate the spirituality of these savages to her advantage in light of the state of her family.

I heard Herbert’s manuscripts were incomplete after his passing. Only Dune vol 1 being the complete work. Who is the true messiah? His sister?

Back
Top Bottom