DUNE (new film incoming, love the book, also loved the multiple Lynch versions)

The studio got greedy with making the hobbit a trilogy. The book is only 310 pages. amazon is even worse. Paid a billion dollars to make 5 seasons of a show based on the appendices and footnotes of Tolkien.

lol.

When I got to the end I was like WTF.

This was definitely the anti Star Wars and MCU work. The cinematography, the effects (except for one scenes), the soundtrack, and great performances from this new Hollywood crew. Even as a sci fi movie, this is great cinema. I’d love to see it in IMAX.

I’m not upset when changes are made for the better. That’s why I like Invincible.

I don’t think this is as “even” as LoTR. Jackson did a great job of making each a compelling film on their own. And the action was evenly dispersed. Dune Part one is exposition and world building. Not enough action.

Paul and his mom are definitely horrible human manipulators. All of the colonizers are.

If you watch the movie with rose tinted glasses, it can appear Paul is benign (while his mom is clearly overt in her pursuits to manipulate the spirituality of these savages to her advantage in light of the state of her family.

I heard Herbert’s manuscripts were incomplete after his passing. Only Dune vol 1 being the complete work. Who is the true messiah? His sister?

A long read but this is basically the gist of it…

It’s kind of complicated…

There isn’t a “Messiah” outright…It’s just a long plan so the Bene Gesserit can continue to control the universe from the shadows…It’s easier to control a population if they believe there’s an unseen divine being guiding them to greatness (Insert whatever religion you like here)…

The “Messiah” plan was a way for them to ensure the Kwisatz Hederach (Perfect Male Being) was placed on the emperors throne…The “perfect being”, being one they engineered and can fully control…Paul’s mother, Jessica, was intended to be the grandmother to the Kwisatz Hederach as she was instructed to conceive a girl who would then in turn herself give birth to the Kwisatz Hederach…Jessica fell in love with Paul’s father, Leto, and birthed a boy so that the Atreides house would have a strong heir once Leto passed away…The intention from the point Jessica was born was for the Atreides house come to an end because they had a tendency to lead with their hearts and not with their ambition…Denis shows this in the film when Leto opts to save the spice collecting team from the worm attack despite how much spice would be lost…It inherently makes the Atreides harder to control as the promise of power / wealth cannot be used to sway them…They’re a threat to the Bene Gesserit’s powerful hold on the universe in that regard…

So essentially Paul is the Kwisatz Hederach born a generation early…The problem is that he’s too much like his father and will not be easily controlled if he ascends to the throne…This is why the plan was fed to the emperor to start a war that would see the Harkonnen wipe out the Atreides, including Paul and his mother…Pauls mother worked all this out and did the horrible **** she did to sway Paul to fall bad, at the end of the film…Long story, err long, is that everybody whiffed and the universe is now actively fighting a holy war over a fake deity as a result…Have to keep in mind that Paul was just as much a pawn of his mother in this whole thing as the Fremen were…

It only gets worse for EVERYONE from here, believe me…

As for Paul’s sister…She’s what the Bene Gesserit call the “abomination”…She’s the female version of Paul with all of his abilities but without any of the heart that became the calling card of the Atreides house…She’s closer in character to Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen than she is to Paul…Only issue is that she’s almost totally uncontrollable where Feyd could be easily manipulated…The Kwisatz Hederach needed to be a male because it’s implied, though never actually stated outright, because men are inherently easier to control as well…In the book it’s a toddler Alia (Paul’s sister) who has the confrontation in the throne room and she kills the Barron herself, as a toddler…It’s nuts…The further interpretation from the movie is that it’s actually Alia who twists her mothers thoughts from the womb…Again not said outright but that’s certainly a strong possibility from what was shown…

Last edited:
If the info on wikipedia is reliable, Denis wants to make a movie for the next book and be done with his trilogy. That leaves four more books Herbert wrote. Some of the stories for them seem very messy sci-fi.
It's messy considering they were rough drafts sources rather than the final draft. On the otherhand, they were still pretty entertaining but needed some refinement.

DUNE part two was fantastic!!!!

Reading that the director doesn’t like dialogue and preferred visuals makes sense because there were some tremendous breathtaking scenes.

Javier Bardem was hilarious. The memes about him are on point.

Overall it felt more cohesive than part 1. And it was totally worth it on premium formats. Definitely gonna do a second viewing

One of my favorite scenes was the final fight between Paul and Feyd-Rautha. The lack of music really made it stand out and draw you in more.

Similar to what Nolan did in TDKR and Batman’s first fight with Bane.

Just hearing the punches land and be deflected gave that scene much more impact.

51116-OHNXOd-Xi.gif

I knew it would be good.. didn’t think it would be THAT good

Lawd please give Denis villeneuve control of Star Wars or Star Trek whenever he’s done with this

I think I saw somewhere or heard somewhere on a pod I was listening to that he wants to wait, but I hope he doesn’t

he just said in an interview he hated making blade runner because he had to follow another universe and try to please the originators so he probably wouldnt helm any star wars or star trek in the near future

During an interview with THR, Villeneuve was asked about the sequel, and if he thinks he'll "ever be able to ignore the shadow of Blade Runner?"

"No, never. Blade Runner is one of my favorite films, and it’s absolutely a masterpiece. Ridley Scott is one of my favorite filmmakers, and even though he had given his blessing, it was very important for me to hear it and see it in his eyes that he was OK with me doing the movie at the time. But I was constantly thinking about the original film as I was making Blade Runner 2049. It was impossible not to.

So 2049 was really a love letter to the first film, but it was by far one of the most difficult projects I’ve ever done, and I don’t think I will ever approach someone else’s universe again."

Think something I was listening to referred to that, when talking about blade runner 2049

But would be a shame, I think with both he could do his own thing given how much content we have gotten from both

I think he’d have that issue with terminator or alien or predator.. but with Star Wars and Star Trek, there is so much beyond certain aspects

Also wonder what comic stuff he would be interested in if anything

i think he’d do something that isnt connected to anything like the joker or reeves the batman, something like that thats elseworld and not connected to anything but even then if he were to do batman, he would probably be trying to top nolan or something so its just so iffy if thats how he feels

and thats the problem with DCU, MCU and Star Wars, he has to answer to other people and make the story fit whether following a prior film or whatever planned sequel will be, even if dude were to do a sith origin film, there are like thousands of years of history following that he has to somewhat adhere to then theres also lucas, filoni, kennedy, etc… that he has to report to and he probably dont want those contraints

with dune, he can do whatever he wants and probably even have an open budget to do anything from WB, they dont want to lose him like they did nolan

Limiting it to warner bros makes it hard

Would be interesting to see his take on watchmen.. and I’d assume they’d let him do his own thing with whatever DC property he wanted to work with and treat it as its own thing

Also would be interesting to see his take on King Kong or what he’d do with the monster verse

But I feel like with the fumbles MCU and Star Wars have had plus dude clearly doing work with some many films to this point, they’d let him do whatever

Plus he just did an interview with THR where he said after his experience doing Bladerunner 2049 he’d never “approach somebody else’s universe again”…

Sounds like he’s most comfortable doing his own thing and if that gets us more content on the level of his Dune films - Prisoners - Arrival - and even Bladerunner (Even though as good as it is he isn’t happy with it) then that’s absolutely the for the best…

~EDIT~

Missed rfx45 rfx45 post up there 🤦‍♂️

Plus he just did an interview with THR where he said after his experience doing Bladerunner 2049 he’d never “approach somebody else’s universe again”…

Sounds like he’s most comfortable doing his own thing and if that gets us more content on the level of his Dune films - Prisoners - Arrival - and even Bladerunner (Even though as good as it is he isn’t happy with it) then that’s absolutely the for the best…

~EDIT~

Missed rfx45 rfx45 post up there 🤦‍♂️

The more I think about what he said in this article, that wouldn’t necessarily prevent him from doing his own Star Wars, Star Trek or even marvel movie

With blade runner 2049, he wanted to have a continuation from the first film and embody elements from that.. it was/is a legacy sequel, like with top gun maverick and even creed

Dune obviously is far from original work, with all those books and the 80s movie and show.. he doesn’t have to put a Patrick Stewart in these movies, for example

So with Star Wars, for example, I don’t think he would be tied down with having to honor the original trilogy.. hopefully they have moved far beyond that after the most recent 3 movies.. and essentially that’s giving him the ability to tell any of the many stories beyond the skywalkers.. the MCU is similar in that soo much hasn’t been touched yet and is available to play with, think of Gunn with GOTG

Whereas it’s easy to see the limitations of certain other franchises like terminator, alien and/or Jurassic park

Back
Top Bottom