eBay changes FVFs to include shipping. No more $200 shipping quotes

Originally Posted by WhatisLove

Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

BTW, i'm not a genius, but i've already thought of a way to give ebay "the finger" for their april 19th changes.  i'll start using ebay as a screening service. meaning, i'll create auctions and look for bidders that have respectable feedback. once i have a couple, i'll cancel the auction, and send out emails to those folk. i'll still have to pay the paypal fee, but ebay will be out of the FVF. 

This would work... but unfortunately, I'm sure there are people who will report you for doing it (because they are either blinded by Ebay's rules, think that you're somehow trying to scam them, or who think that you're trying to rip them off because they think the auction would have ended for less, etc.).

It might work for 70% of people (not saying that 70% of the people you contact will buy... just saying that 70% won't have a problem with it)... but that other 30% won't be down for it at all, and maybe 5-10% of that 30% will report you (obviously not solid numbers, just a guess... I've seen it in action.
you make good points, but i mostly sell jordans from my private stash. dudes are constantly sending me emails asking for me to take the auction offline. if i want to persuade people who might think it's a scam, i can do the same thing that Stillln does - put in the description "Buy It Now price available via email".  

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by StillIn729

you didn't point out any faults, you just avoid my valid points to focus on statements in my own context

how is losing customers year after year good financially?  still waiting

eBay just settled a lawsuit and paid $30 million in a settlement they didn't want going to court for overcharged fees, does that go towards end of year profits?  I need a financial guru such as yourself to help me out. 
How can I be avoiding your "valid" points when you haven't made any defending your claims about eBay's finances?

I never said losing customers was good financially, I didn't acknowledge you there because it wasn't relevant to the dribble you were spitting earlier nor anything I've said in this thread.

I'm no guru but NO, $30 million paid in settlements would be an expense. You subtract those from revenues to get profits presuming your revenues exceed expenses (just so you can't claim I'm avoiding your or so valid points).
smile.gif

jimmybeanz thanks for posting the article. Unfortunately for our guy StillIn729 it only strengthens my  argument that eBay is not currently treading water, is in fact on the rebound, and not in any immediate danger of going out of business. I'm confused, were you disagreeing with me or just responding to my request for a source (which was appreciated)?
I won't go as far to say that ebay is treading water. however, they have made decisions that have pushed sellers away. those decisions have caused revenue from auctions to go down (over a 5 year period).  my points/questions are these: 
1) why are you and nawth cheering ebay on? they don't care about you. with revenues going down, they're trying to milk whatever they can. 

2) sneaker re-sellers won't be the only ones affected by this change in rules. EVERBODY WHO SELLS OR BUYS WILL BE affected. if you think prices are stupid high now, you think they will go down when the FVF goes up? 
grin.gif
laugh.gif
 noooooo.  more people will try to sell local via craigslist (or just use other alternatives). if more people try to sell local, you're - ucked if you don't live in a major city.   

sidenote - i often comparison shop for stuff on amazon and ebay. which one do you think is ALWAYS cheaper even though both have 3rd parties selling??? hint: it starts with an "a".   

nawth can gloat all she wants...until she calculates what this new change will cost her.  she talks about people should follow ebay's rules and not get mad. but she's mad at the people that exploit the system? lmfao

BTW, i'm not a genius, but i've already thought of a way to give ebay "the finger" for their april 19th changes.  i'll start using ebay as a screening service. meaning, i'll create auctions and look for bidders that have respectable feedback. once i have a couple, i'll cancel the auction, and send out emails to those folk. i'll still have to pay the paypal fee, but ebay will be out of the FVF. 

I'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS NOW. NOTHING NEW.

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

How can I be avoiding your "valid" points when you haven't made any defending your claims about eBay's finances?

I never said losing customers was good financially, I didn't acknowledge you there because it wasn't relevant to the dribble you were spitting earlier nor anything I've said in this thread.

I'm no guru but NO, $30 million paid in settlements would be an expense. You subtract those from revenues to get profits presuming your revenues exceed expenses (just so you can't claim I'm avoiding your or so valid points).
smile.gif

jimmybeanz thanks for posting the article. Unfortunately for our guy StillIn729 it only strengthens my  argument that eBay is not currently treading water, is in fact on the rebound, and not in any immediate danger of going out of business. I'm confused, were you disagreeing with me or just responding to my request for a source (which was appreciated)?
I won't go as far to say that ebay is treading water. however, they have made decisions that have pushed sellers away. those decisions have caused revenue from auctions to go down (over a 5 year period).  my points/questions are these: 
1) why are you and nawth cheering ebay on? they don't care about you. with revenues going down, they're trying to milk whatever they can. 

2) sneaker re-sellers won't be the only ones affected by this change in rules. EVERBODY WHO SELLS OR BUYS WILL BE affected. if you think prices are stupid high now, you think they will go down when the FVF goes up? 
grin.gif
laugh.gif
 noooooo.  more people will try to sell local via craigslist (or just use other alternatives). if more people try to sell local, you're - ucked if you don't live in a major city.   

sidenote - i often comparison shop for stuff on amazon and ebay. which one do you think is ALWAYS cheaper even though both have 3rd parties selling??? hint: it starts with an "a".   

nawth can gloat all she wants...until she calculates what this new change will cost her.  she talks about people should follow ebay's rules and not get mad. but she's mad at the people that exploit the system? lmfao

Has this been working for you? If someone was to hit me up on ebay to do a transaction off ebay, I'd think it was mad sketchy and probably just delete the e-mail. 

Originally Posted by 430AM

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

grin.gif
laugh.gif

Has this been working for you? If someone was to hit me up on ebay to do a transaction off ebay, I'd think it was mad sketchy and probably just delete the e-mail. 
not if you explain why and if you use Paypal you'd still be protected and if you have legit feedback, anyone who has ever sold anything on eBay would understand why you are doing this.  
My last actual sale was for a pair of Space Jams, sold for $275, when it was all said and done eBay got $53 of that $275.

Originally Posted by WhatisLove

This would work... but unfortunately, I'm sure there are people who will report you for doing it (because they are either blinded by Ebay's rules, think that you're somehow trying to scam them, or who think that you're trying to rip them off because they think the auction would have ended for less, etc.).

It might work for 70% of people (not saying that 70% of the people you contact will buy... just saying that 70% won't have a problem with it)... but that other 30% won't be down for it at all, and maybe 5-10% of that 30% will report you (obviously not solid numbers, just a guess... I've seen it in action.
you make good points, but i mostly sell jordans from my private stash. dudes are constantly sending me emails asking for me to take the auction offline. if i want to persuade people who might think it's a scam, i can do the same thing that Stillln does - put in the description "Buy It Now price available via email".  
Yeah, I hear you... I know that it can work, but I'm just warning people... you are exposing yourself to people reporting you.  And if you get reported, Ebay has very little sympathy.

Trust, there are people out there who will report the "Buy-it-Now via email" thing if they see it...
sick.gif
.  It's like these people work for Ebay or something.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I never said losing customers was good financially, I didn'tacknowledge you there because it wasn't relevant to the dribble youwere spitting earlier nor anything I've said in this thread.

I'm no guru but NO, $30 million paid in settlementswould be an expense. You subtract those from revenues to get profits presuming your revenues exceed expenses (just so you can'tclaim I'm avoiding your or so valid points).
smile.gif

jimmybeanz thanks for postingthe article. Unfortunately for our guy StillIn729 it only strengthensmy  argument that eBay is not currently treading water, is in facton the rebound, and not in any immediate danger of going out ofbusiness. I'm confused, were you disagreeing with me or just respondingto my request for a source (which was appreciated)?

grin.gif
laugh.gif

Ham is just a moron so I'm not even addressing him anymore...I was being sarcastic about the lawsuit increasing revenues and he thought I was serious 
laugh.gif
 Ham get back to me in 5 years and let me know how the financial strength of eBay is doing
Jimmybeanz: to the bold statement, I did that the past 6 months, I would always put the auction high enough and make my opening line in the title "Please email for the best buy it now price and you will save money" and I would handle the transaction off eBay and there is nothing they can do about that.  

bottomline:  eBay is in trouble because their fees have sellers asking for increased prices in fixed auction formats when the same items are much cheaper on Amazon because they don't have to account for high eBay fees along with the double dip from Paypal. 
How am I the moron?
laugh.gif

Because you can't refute ANYTHING I've said? Obviously I knew you were being sarcastic, if you think I was serious in answering your question and can't see I was patronizing you then you really shouldn't be throwing words like "moron" around.

This whole thread you've been parading around with your emotions on display crying like a %*. I already told you not only do I understand why, but I sympathize with you. That doesn't make it OK.

jimmybeanz: I don't see where you could interpret anything I've said as cheering eBay on unless you're talking about my first reply (which I later said was joke).

Originally Posted by airbornho

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

ok so what about international shipping if a buyers rate for shipping is $40+ (calculated on ebay no funny stuff) on some shoes the buyer will pay fees on that $40 even if the shoes sold are less that $100?

if so thats a damn shame and they may as well get rid of international selling!

I ship internationally by USPS express and usually charge $45 for it, the cost of shipping takes up most of that, and a couple of dollars are left to touch fees. The cost of the shoes is unrelated to the cost of shipping for international transactions. If you buy a pair of shoes for 20 bucks, it's still gonna cost around ~38 dollars give or take to ship it internationally. No way would anyone do free shipping for that, you're better off just taking them outside and lighting them on fire. But if buyers contact me personally, I'm more than willing to make an arrangement, which will be rendered moot with these new fee policies.

And WallyHopp, that's my exactly my point. ebay claims that these policies are for the 'buyer's benefit' when it puts a stranglehold on the market. They just want a bigger piece of the pie and they don't care about how it affects anyone.
so do i. im saying if we have to pay fees its not worth selling the shoes if say its a $50 shoe and someone buys it in Australia shipping would be about $43 like you said im going to have to pay about $10 in fees but the item sold was only $50 in no way was i hustling Ebay but thats the cost of shipping.

I know this is ebay hate post, but has anyone had success with ebay classifieds? It's like craigslist, by ebay,. I like the layout, wonder how many views it gets. Craigslist gets annoying to me with all the spammers. I agree, ebay was good when the internet FIRST started, but they failed to keep up with the times, now they're going to fail. I have 10000 ideas in my head that would be sick. Maybe I should start my own site, lol

Originally Posted by finnns2003

They took a crapload of money for the MacBook I just sold on there...
that sucks for me, because i will be selling a mbp in a couple weeks.  
wait...you didn't recently sell a mbp NIB recently, did you?
laugh.gif

i guess this will balance out for me since ive been selling everything with the amount i want in shipping and starting the bid at .01

well dam!!!!!!Now I have to take chances selling on NT..Oh well, what can you do right?

Back
Top Bottom