F yall Dressing Better cats...name a better...

Originally Posted by UnbornSeed

C'mon now, bro. You cannot compare the 2. Jordans and jeans is another staple uniform since the dawn of days. Throwing on some daisy duke shorts with boat shoes is totally different
This has to be my favourite part of the thread. He acted like Jordans and jeans is a timeless look and that boat shoes are simply a new trend that people are adopting.
roll.gif

I just don't get why anyone is that bothered about the clothes a person wears. If someone discriminates against someone based on their clothes, then who knows what else they will discriminate on?
tired.gif

Originally Posted by UnbornSeed

C'mon now, bro. You cannot compare the 2. Jordans and jeans is another staple uniform since the dawn of days. Throwing on some daisy duke shorts with boat shoes is totally different
This has to be my favourite part of the thread. He acted like Jordans and jeans is a timeless look and that boat shoes are simply a new trend that people are adopting.
roll.gif

I just don't get why anyone is that bothered about the clothes a person wears. If someone discriminates against someone based on their clothes, then who knows what else they will discriminate on?
tired.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

i'll get way more attention in a crisp suit, or a nice colored ralph lauren lo......than me wearing some damn b-ball shorts and slippers....

it's funny because it's dudes down here that wear that style faithfully, they don't even attempt to get fresh.....they throw that ++!# on and be walking all through the mall and outside.

while I'm having chicks stare a hole in my head.

you guys wearing that #%%* makes it 10x better for me when it comes to women.
They probably wonderin' why is this dude so overdressed, got on a 3 pieces suit, cane, and tophat to come to the grocery store and pick up some milk, plus it's 84 degrees outside
laugh.gif

shoot once its summer time all i rock is a nba authentic, some hoop shorts and some kicks.
Ninja I got some official throwbacks to sell you, seriously 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

i'll get way more attention in a crisp suit, or a nice colored ralph lauren lo......than me wearing some damn b-ball shorts and slippers....

it's funny because it's dudes down here that wear that style faithfully, they don't even attempt to get fresh.....they throw that ++!# on and be walking all through the mall and outside.

while I'm having chicks stare a hole in my head.

you guys wearing that #%%* makes it 10x better for me when it comes to women.
They probably wonderin' why is this dude so overdressed, got on a 3 pieces suit, cane, and tophat to come to the grocery store and pick up some milk, plus it's 84 degrees outside
laugh.gif

shoot once its summer time all i rock is a nba authentic, some hoop shorts and some kicks.
Ninja I got some official throwbacks to sell you, seriously 
laugh.gif

i absolutely love when guys wear ball shorts w/black socks...

!%%* drives me crazy...freshmen year thats all the boys wore till the weekend & i loved it
pimp.gif

of course there's a time a place for everything...

i also like a well dressed fella...

a guy who can look good in all styles is where its at

i absolutely love when guys wear ball shorts w/black socks...

!%%* drives me crazy...freshmen year thats all the boys wore till the weekend & i loved it
pimp.gif

of course there's a time a place for everything...

i also like a well dressed fella...

a guy who can look good in all styles is where its at

Ima have to hand the dressing better dudes the L simply cause of that one dude claiming that our summer temp in NYC averages in the high 60s.

Put that GQ mag down and read a book bro.

Ima have to hand the dressing better dudes the L simply cause of that one dude claiming that our summer temp in NYC averages in the high 60s.

Originally Posted by Diego

Yeah son was delusional
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Diego

Yeah son was delusional
roll.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

The maturity question:

That part of it is all about social construct (note that I never made the point about maturity, but I do agree with it).

To me part of maturity is understanding what is frowned upon in society, and staying away from it. When you mature, you stop speeding through your neighborhood, you turn down your music a bit, etc.

Dressing better is part of that, although to me it's much less of a big deal. Society has decided in most places, for better or worse, that a certain degree of formality is appropriate when one leaves their house. Basketball shorts and a t-shirt are about as unformal as it gets, so they're deemed to be somewhat immature.

This is where I think ksteezy's point about "not giving a damb" comes in. It's not necessarily that you're wrong for what you wear, but you are certainly going against what society views as a mature manner of dress. Does this matter? It's up to you. You don't have to give a damb what society views as mature, but maybe you do.

Also, to make clear, I personally wear basketball shorts and a t-shirt out of the house often, but I feel like I probably draw then line at a different place. Grocery stores, post office, friend's place, picking up food = no problem. Any sort of sit down place, school, movies, = a bit more formal.

In this regard I do care what society views as appropriate, because to me it's a matter of respecting others and respecting social mores. Not judging anyone that feels differently.

Biggest crock of #@%! Ive seen in a while.

Lady Gaga - Immature?
Andre 3000 - Immature?
Joakim Noah - Immature?
Steve Tyler - Immature?
Jay Z when he rocked a Durag at the Grammys - Immature?

I guess when rich people do it, its cause they have a "unique sense of style" but when hood folks do it, "they are immature".

Wear what you want bro, but dont try to make it seem as if your ideologies make you better or more adapted to society than anyone else.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

The maturity question:

That part of it is all about social construct (note that I never made the point about maturity, but I do agree with it).

To me part of maturity is understanding what is frowned upon in society, and staying away from it. When you mature, you stop speeding through your neighborhood, you turn down your music a bit, etc.

Dressing better is part of that, although to me it's much less of a big deal. Society has decided in most places, for better or worse, that a certain degree of formality is appropriate when one leaves their house. Basketball shorts and a t-shirt are about as unformal as it gets, so they're deemed to be somewhat immature.

This is where I think ksteezy's point about "not giving a damb" comes in. It's not necessarily that you're wrong for what you wear, but you are certainly going against what society views as a mature manner of dress. Does this matter? It's up to you. You don't have to give a damb what society views as mature, but maybe you do.

Also, to make clear, I personally wear basketball shorts and a t-shirt out of the house often, but I feel like I probably draw then line at a different place. Grocery stores, post office, friend's place, picking up food = no problem. Any sort of sit down place, school, movies, = a bit more formal.

In this regard I do care what society views as appropriate, because to me it's a matter of respecting others and respecting social mores. Not judging anyone that feels differently.

Biggest crock of #@%! Ive seen in a while.

Lady Gaga - Immature?
Andre 3000 - Immature?
Joakim Noah - Immature?
Steve Tyler - Immature?
Jay Z when he rocked a Durag at the Grammys - Immature?

I guess when rich people do it, its cause they have a "unique sense of style" but when hood folks do it, "they are immature".

Wear what you want bro, but dont try to make it seem as if your ideologies make you better or more adapted to society than anyone else.

This.

and there are a lot of pretentious folks in here on BOTH sides of the argument....

This.

and there are a lot of pretentious folks in here on BOTH sides of the argument....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Just thinking about things folks don't believe in...

-Bigfoot
-Yeti
-Ghosts
-Obama's birth certificate
-Loch Ness Monster
-David Blaine's magic
-Aliens
-V Necks
-UFOs
-Bermuda Triangle

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

And what the hell are boat shoes man?

-Bigfoot
-Yeti
-Ghosts
-Loch Ness Monster
-David Blaine's magic
-Aliens
-V Necks
-UFOs
-Bermuda Triangle

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Diego how you comparing Lady Gaga to 27 year old Tyrone with the Olas and basketball in backpack ready for the 3 on 3 24/7/365

I thought it went without saying that celebs specially the ones you mention who rely on their exaggerated styles to uphold a certain image were an exception...

Diego how you comparing Lady Gaga to 27 year old Tyrone with the Olas and basketball in backpack ready for the 3 on 3 24/7/365

I thought it went without saying that celebs specially the ones you mention who rely on their exaggerated styles to uphold a certain image were an exception...

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

-Bigfoot
-Yeti
-Ghosts
-Loch Ness Monster
-David Blaine's magic
-Aliens
-V Necks
-UFOs
-Bermuda Triangle

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The most widely worn brand and style of boat shoe (at least in Texas) is the Sperry Top-Sider.
sperry-top-sider-ss-2010-1.jpg

One of my favorites for this summer 
pimp.gif

I'm also in law school, and I switch up my style every day.  My default outfit is usually some J. Crew khaki shorts (with the 11" inseam), J. Crew polo, and Sperry boat shoes.  I wear this because it's comfy, I have ~20 polos (I worked in a business casual environment for a few years before law school), and because it looks presentable when we have lunch presentations attended by judges and lawyers.  That being said, I usually rock Jordan shorts and a tee-shirt to school on Friday, since I hit the gym after class.  As many posters have alluded to, there's a time and a place for everything, and people can feel comfortable rocking different things.

Back
Top Bottom