F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

Serious question: if George outperforms Bottas and Mercedes decides they want to change their 2021 line-up, can they send Bottas back to Williams and promote George to the 2nd Merc seat?
Bottas has already signed for next season, so I don’t think it would work out. And like someone said, Williams isn’t the Merc’s b-team so there would be a ton of negotiations. Best bet would be to let Bottas walk at the end of next season, and see if George would come up and be in seat #2 if Lewis is still there.

Now that Lewis' consecutive start streak has come to an end, perhaps he'll think a little more about taking a year off so Mercedes can have Bottas and Russell duel it out next year, and the winner pairs up with Lewis when he's on way to his 8th championship in 2022 with the new regulations :nerd:

Lewis taking a gap year at his age is career suicide.

Even if George wins the race or just beats Bottas. It's only one race but pressure is def on Bottas.

That being said, it's been a poor Friday :lol:
Only beaten by Seb

I want to hear Geroge's experience from going in the slowest car to the fastest car but I'm not sure he will say much to try not to slate Williams.

I imagine the shock will be like me trying to squeeze back into my work trousers after lockdown.

Looking at the long run pace as well. Max is looking the best and Bottas is looking better than George.

Last edited:
I think so too unless Merc still has room to turn up their engines.

Bottas still has some time on hand since he ran wide on the last turn but so does Max since he was held up a bit on his fastest run.

Last edited:
Damn Lando :smh: and Albon...oof, disappointing.

Edit: Thought George was gonna get pole there for a second :lol: Incredible job though

Last edited:
so does this speak more to Russell being actually good or that anyone can look good in a mercedes

Yea disappointing from Albon and Norris. Dunno why Norris aborted when he could've made a few more places on the grid.

George is definitely good. There's a reason why Mercedes is hanging on to him and why he got the drive over Vandoorne.
Let's see his race pace tomorrow as well but I expected him to deliver today.

Leclerc :wow:
One and done :lol:
I want to see if he got a tow.

Last edited:
so does this speak more to Russell being actually good or that anyone can look good in a mercedes

Put Latifi in there and watch him struggle to get out of Q1 :lol: The faster the car the harder it is to drive, especially on the limit. Russell's definitely talented, it's just hard to judge the extent of his capabilities in F1 when he's only been in one of the worst cars on the grid so far.

Wouldn't be surprised if Bottas bottles the start tomorrow and George takes the win though lol

Mercs start on mediums as well and Max will find it hard to overtake so I think it may be between the 2 Mercs.

I wonder what Lewis is thinking if he's watching this.

Bottas didn't link everything together and George struggled in Turn 1 plus the car is new.

I think Lewis would've put a tenth on Bottas time.

Where do you think Albon would've qualified if he was in the Merc? :lol:

Nice job by Russell. Almost got P1. The race tomorrow should be intriguing.

LeCrec out of nowhere. Didn’t even try another lap because he knew he couldn’t do any better in that car :lol:

Where do you think Albon would've qualified if he was in the Merc? :lol:

I only asked that because that seems to be two commonly repeated opinions, George being a potential champion driver and that anyone can win in a mercedes.

Welp. Looks like Carlos extracted as much as he could, while Lando sounds like they mistimed it. Hope our racepace will be better.

+0.026.
The shorter track makes it look closer than it really is, but adjusted, it's still probably really damn close. Well done, George.

I only asked that because that seems to be two commonly repeated opinions, George being a potential champion driver and that anyone can win in a mercedes.

I think people say that to try and discredit Lewis. They forget that Bottas didn't win a race in 2018 in the W09 while Lewis won 11 and that was in a year where competition was fierce with Ferrari.

George is definitely championship material. He's done good with the limited time he had.
Mercs start on the mediums so this in theory this should be a 1 v 1 fight between them but Max looked good on long runs.

So many questions.

It's both. George is legitimately a good driver, with his talents being masked by that Williams. But at the same time, the Merc is the best car out there. You have Lewis + Merc and you have that 'match made in heaven' scenario. But you can't say Merc are only winning just cuz of Lewis or say Lewis is only winning cuz of the Merc. Saying how good the Merc is doesn't and shouldn't take anything away from Lewis. The problem is too many ppl seem to see it as "complimenting the Merc = disrespecting Lewis". That's entirely the wrong way to look at it. If anything, saying it's all down to Lewis is a bit disrespectful to the thousands of Merc staff responsible for building that car. Lewis, like Max, are able to extract 100% out of their cars.

As for guys like Alex, I think it's down to driving style and preference. Max drives a certain way and when you're their #1 driver, RBR will always develop the car to Max's preference. Meanwhile, Alex will continue to struggle more and more.

It's both. George is legitimately a good driver, with his talents being masked by that Williams. But at the same time, the Merc is the best car out there. You have Lewis + Merc and you have that 'match made in heaven' scenario. But you can't say Merc are only winning just cuz of Lewis or say Lewis is only winning cuz of the Merc. Saying how good the Merc is doesn't and shouldn't take anything away from Lewis. The problem is too many ppl seem to see it as "complimenting the Merc = disrespecting Lewis". That's entirely the wrong way to look at it. If anything, saying it's all down to Lewis is a bit disrespectful to the thousands of Merc staff responsible for building that car. Lewis, like Max, are able to extract 100% out of their cars.

As for guys like Alex, I think it's down to driving style and preference. Max drives a certain way and when you're their #1 driver, RBR will always develop the car to Max's preference. Meanwhile, Alex will continue to struggle more and more.

This exactly. Lewis has always said he couldn't do it without the team. They provide the equipment and he delivers the results.
It's not even just the car, it's the way the whole organization is set up at Merc. Relentless pursuit of perfection in every area and making sure none of the key members get tempted to go elsewhere.

The combination of driver and team is on some Voltron level.

Back
Top Bottom