F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

cars not allowed to overtake.
cars now allowed to overtake.
not ordering Lewis to give that place back.
what a confusing race!

either way, if RBR hadn't put on softs Lewis would have one this race.
Perez driving like a La-yon tho! What a legend

You can’t just make up rules on the spot for entertainment.
This is not a reality show, where rules are bent for the purpose of entertainment.
The race should have ended under the SC. We know it, they know it and the FIA knows it as well.

if it was any other race weekend it would have ended under safety car.

I think many of us wanted to see the Mercedes dominance end, but not this way. This was sad. Races end under the safety car all the time (Spa). The FIA have been inconsistent on rulings for a while now, but today was something else. There's really no reason why a billion dollar enterprise can't have permanent stewards on a race to race basis.

I think the most important thing to take away from this weekend is that this is only entertainment. One could say that today was straight out of the Drive to Survive playbook LOL

On to next season. Hopefully the cars aren't hideous and one team doesn't dominate for seven plus years.

Hope an independent arbitrator makes the call because the FIA will never admit to their incompetence in a case of this magnitude

either they end the race behind the safety car or this controversial restart.
anticlimactic either way for the fans

The problem with the protest, while legitimate, it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. This result was not ideal, but if they overturn it and hand the title to Lewis, that's bad also.

An entire nine month, 23 race season just came down to one non competitors on the fly decision. Nobody likes this.

:rofl:

1639327101837.jpeg

Ok, I will try to be objective in making sense in all of this cuz I'm a McLaren fan and can't be bothered to give any F's about Merc or RBR. 😂

If I had to choose, I was probably leaning 55-45 in wanting to see Max win simply for the sake of seeing a new champ, but the way this went down was very poor. I'd call it a poorly officiated ball game. The problem with FIA rules is that it's very vague to begin with. Lots of grey area and room to interpret. Masi had room to wiggle as do the teams when they lodge their protests.

No way around it, Masi had a tough job. No one would want that mess to deal with. I genuinely think that his objective was to have the race finish under green flags and not having a bunch of back-markers between the two title contenders... he was guilty in wanting to manufacture a dramatic finish. The key factor here was that RBR took the gamble of boxing Max for Softs during the VSC, which ended up being the difference. Had Max stayed out on Hards, I don't think he would have been able to pass Lewis. He would have tried very, very hard... but no way he would have had the grip-advantage of grippier tyres.

Having said all that... this was a freaking mess. Just not a good look for the sport. Sure, the ratings will be thru the roof and DTS will hit new viewership highs, but you can't officiate a race like that. For the sake of the sport, they'll need to sort all this out before Bahrain next year. Driving standards, clarification of the rules, etc.

Man I’m so confused :lol:

What exactly did Max do wrong?

1639327244070.gif
I don't think Max did anything wrong this time. 😂
His T6 move was very aggressive, but it was just on the limit and legal... cuz he stayed on the track. Sure, he probably forced Lewis off, but I think a lot of drivers said that Lewis should have gave the spot back.

RBR actually did everything they could... boxing for Softs during the VSC and had Checo slow Lewis down (which was legal). Lewis did something similar to Rosberg in 2016... diving "slowly" and backing Nico into the other cars in hopes someone would overtake him to help Lewis win the championship.

You can’t breach your own rules for the sake of manufacturing an exciting finish. Masi stole this championship from Merc/Lewis. This was a joke.

Regardless of the outcome from Mercs protests, it won’t be great for the sport. Do you take the championship away from Max? Do you screw Lewis when it should be his in the first place? Do you make them double champs? :smh: what a mess.

You can’t breach your own rules for the sake of manufacturing an exciting finish. Masi stole this championship from Merc/Lewis. This was a joke.

Regardless of the outcome from Mercs protests, it won’t be great for the sport. Do you take the championship away from Max? Do you screw Lewis when it should be his in the first place? Do you make them double champs? :smh: what a mess.

yeah exactly. you can take it away from max but you can't just give it to lewis. they really ****ed up

what do you guys think they should they have done actually?
red flag it and restart the race?
or should they have just finished the race behind the safety car with Lewis winning?

it seems like they fd up by deciding to not unlap the bmarkers and then reversing that
which was too late and they've already wasted several laps.

what do you guys think they should they have done actually?
red flag it and restart the race?
or should they have just finished the race behind the safety car with Lewis winning?

it seems like they fd up by deciding to not unlap the bmarkers and then reversing that
which was too late and they've already wasted several laps.

Red flag with 4 laps left.
It was the only option if they didn't want to end under a safety car (if Michael Messy would respect the rules). In this case the red flag was the only option to let them race in a fair way

Back
Top Bottom