Filipino Culture Thread

Bruh, your grandpa fought in WWI? How old was dude?
From what I can recall he was born in the late 1800's (around the estimate1880's-99.) Then he passed away in U.S. in 1982. He received some kind of reward after WW2 that's on a Plaque hanging on the wall in my grandparents house in the PI from Vice President Harry S. Truman. My dad is the youngest out of 8 siblings(4 boys, 4 girls.) My lolo was around his 50's I believe when he and my lola had my dad which was in 1959. Pretty wild. That Pinoy blood.

Last edited:
From what I can recall he was born in the late 1800's (around the estimate1880's-99.) Then he passed away in U.S. in 1982. He received some kind of reward after WW2 that's on a Plaque hanging on the wall in my grandparents house in the PI from Vice President Harry S. Truman. My dad is the youngest out of 8 siblings(4 boys, 4 girls.) My lolo was around his 50's I believe when he and my lola had my dad which was in 1959. Pretty wild. That Pinoy blood.

Damn man, your grandpa was definitely born in the 1800s. My maternal grandpa was born in the year 1900 but was too young to fight for the French in WWI. Dude died in the 70s tho. Your grandpa lived a full life, man.

How do you feel about your fam acquiring US citizenship from a country that colonized the Philippines tho?

I would think one would accept it easier in 2018 rather than 1960.

Contraception didn’t exist to religious, filipinos. My dad is 1 of 11 kids.

Damn man, your grandpa was definitely born in the 1800s. My maternal grandpa was born in the year 1900 but was too young to fight for the French in WWI. Dude died in the 70s tho. Your grandpa lived a full life, man.

How do you feel about your fam acquiring US citizenship from a country that colonized the Philippines tho?

I would think one would accept it easier in 2018 rather than 1960.
Sure most definitely. My grandpa living that full life especially in times like that is a great thing to know and to tell about. I thank him for everything he’s done to bring the family over to the U.S.

Everyone knows how America is, there’s no trick to it. There’s many false advertising to it and many unbelievably great positive outcomes(stories) to having your place in “Land of the free” as they say. To me I can just thank him for everything that he has done in the past to get my family over here. I’m not my lolo but for him to do what he needed to do I believe that he thought for the future of his family; He did what was best for him and the future position of his family and it’s was a brave move. He had no choice. We are all immigrants. Immigrants built America. Those who know the truth is the actual truth. We can just be thankful each and everyday that we’re here in America living, breathing. There are more outside of this continent that are having way worst. I’m just blessed and thankful. I believe it’s a love and hate relationship that we all have within living in America. In the end you gotta wonder where it is you rather live your life and for me it’s being in the U.S.A.

Last edited:
Man I always only heard stories about my grandpa and still go like the work he did and stuff

When I was at his funeral like 1000 people showed up it blew my mind

Lol i actually like that the older generation had like 8 siblings. So much fun when you visit them and its a huge *** family. Our generation wont have that, unless your wife wants to shoot 8 outta there.

Did you guys have like, a designated ninang/ninong who everyone called that even though they weren’t officially that?

My wife did and so did I. I know who my actual ones are but they were the ones who didn’t have kids and spoiled all the cousins.

I think that’s my wife and I for my nieces and nephews.

All these posts are on point, my Dad has 9 siblings, 2 sisters are still living.

My grandpop was in the Bataan Death March with his cousin and they couldnt take it anymore so they rolled off a cliff to die and my grandpop went back to my grandmom who was suppose to marry an American thinking my grandpop wasn't going to be around anymore.

Yeah man, funeral's are surreal in the PI. My cousin's husbands were ambushed because of a bad deal, 1 died on the spot, the other survived for a few more days then later passing. Coffins of the body in the living room and we were staying in the one house and remember waking up to go downstairs for breakfast and walking by the coffin to the kitchen.

Balikbayan from Philly now in LI.

both parents have 11 siblings each, you cannot fathom the amount of first cousins i have, half of them i have never met and the half i know want a pasalubong when i go back :sick:

Can’t wait to get my grub on Saturday

My nephew makes a mean sinigang(I like mine better tho)

Gonna chill at inlaws for a while, giving wifeys mom our current car cause I’m picking up my new(used) whip that day

Mabuhay
IMG_20180317_225719_449.jpg

what i never understood is even though the Philippines is a very poor country a lot of people have maids and some have drivers too :lol:

what i never understood is even though the Philippines is a very poor country a lot of people have maids and some have drivers too :lol:

PI has 100m in population. 10 percent are ultra rich. The rest are poor. The smaller portion are middle class.

That's 10 million people who are wealthy.

Manila itself has 12m people. So if 1.2m people have a networth of $5m USD equivalent or more, that in itself (1.2m people) is a full fledge city with 100% wealthy individuals.

^^Son, that was a complex way to explain a very common third world occurrence.

The majority of "rich" people in the third world aint rich in the west. Paying a maid or driver $200 a month aint hurting someone making 30k

Last edited:
Son, that was a complex way to explain a very common third world occurrence.

The majority of "rich" people in the third world aint rich in the west. Paying a maid or driver $200 a month aint hurting someone making 30k

Indeed it was lol.

I think folks got to understand that there is srs bank in the PI.

When I mean wealthy, I mean, house is worth $10m and the house next door is $30m.

Same with China, Ultra rich is 10 percent of the population. That's 150m mainland chinese folks worth $10m on average. That's why housing prices in major cities where the mainlanders are moving to around the pacific rim are skewed to the max without any economy backing it up.

Used to chill with her. My buddy smashed but ole girl a gold digger

Am i the only active Filipino on NT who still lives in the Philippines?

Had to google who she is. Not bad.

But mann.. everytime I go visit back home, I see so much hot filipina halfers. Some are friendly, but some have this crazy uppity attitude. I'm shooting my shot but I definitely am not gassing their egos up or going waste my time with the ones with terrible attitudes.

very poor? damn homie making it sound like the philippines is a failed state somewhere in Africa (CAR)......wealth gap is a major issue and that's it

Anyone else watch telesyres?

My wife is addicted to them so I sit through them also

Some of the newer ones are pretty ridiculous (triplets split up at birth all played by same actress)

Back
Top Bottom