Filipino Culture Thread

Seems like a lot of you in here mention your relatives put white people on a pedestal; I feel like that's not the case with my family. They definitely have their prejudices, but it's about as bad for white people as it is for blacks, hispanics, etc.
I've definitely heard a mixed bag amongst my friends. Unfortunately my family falls in the white-washed, white-worshiping side. Luckily my siblings, cousins, and me will be the generation to flip that narrative.

My family is definitely racist, unfortunately

Not really my immediate family (I think) but definitely parts of my extended family.

Yea growing up in Vallejo and in a predominantly black neighborhood, we connected in more ways than others. I forced the issue with my parents, because they hated when I brought my friends over who were mostly black. Definitely changed my moms opinion because she loved all of them. My pops on the other hand, he worked nights so I guess in his mind he didn't have to deal with it. Problem is my mom just listens to anything my dad says. :smh:

Man I always get it started with my pops. I used to look up to him and his work ethic. But really, as I get older we are nothing alike. Our beliefs culturally, politically, etc. He just turned out to be just like every other Filipino thats white-washed and white-worshiping. Colonialism is a crazy thing.

Yup all my ex's that were black got fully ignored when I took them to my place. The filipina's, whites, and halfs dam did they bend over backwards for them. Cringe is an understatement.

I bring it up because it needs to be a conversation. Over and over again. The fact that me a first generation here takes more pride in my culture and country than my parents :sick:
Pretty much all my friends from elementary school to college are Filipino... all the guys I dated were all Filipino as well. I guess that’s what Vallejo/The Bay does to you :lol:

Pretty much all my friends from elementary school to college are Filipino... all the guys I dated were all Filipino as well. I guess that’s what Vallejo/The Bay does to you :lol:
I guess it was my neighborhood, but growing up I didn't have a lot of filipino friends and mostly dated outside my race. Wasn't until like highschool to college where that changed a bit and I gained more Filipino friends.

More than one Vallejo cat in here!?

Fam when I first got here I spoke perfect tagalog until my aunt straight up said "No more of that, here you have to speak English only."

Now I can't speak a lick of Tagalog but I can understand it.

Fam when I first got here I spoke perfect tagalog until my aunt straight up said "No more of that, here you have to speak English only."

It's that kind of rearing is why a lot of young Filipinos who grow up in the USA are not bilingual.

If I could do it all over again I would've tried harder to keep up with my tagalog

Young Spanish ppl are all bilingual. Yall know their parents are pushing them to speak Spanish at home.

My aunt and uncle who's never been in NY are coming to NY for two days next week

Fri and Sat

On Fri my mom's plan is to cook filipino food and for them to stay in

They only have two days in ny. To me, one day eating in at home is one day not going out, seeing the sights and trying other food they've never had before.

They can always have filipino food when they go back home to the Philippines...
Ask them if they know what bagels are. I was in Makati telling relatives NY is known for our bagels and they asked what bagels were.

It's that kind of rearing is why a lot of young Filipinos who grow up in the USA are not bilingual.

If I could do it all over again I would've tried harder to keep up with my tagalog

Young Spanish ppl are all bilingual. Yall know their parents are pushing them to speak Spanish at home.

My brother was fluent in tagalog until he went to school. His teacher said he'd struggle if he didn't pick up better English so my parents felt obligated to only speak English to him at home. My siblings and I understand pretty fluently and I'm sure if we really had to we could speak tagalog. Definitely wish I was better at it though

Ayeeeee to my fellow Vallejo cats :smokin

I was born here. I didn’t start speaking English until I started preschool because my parents speak only Tagalog at home. Thankfully, I’m still very fluent even if I speak English to my parents.

My brother was fluent in tagalog until he went to school. His teacher said he'd struggle if he didn't pick up better English so my parents felt obligated to only speak English to him at home. My siblings and I understand pretty fluently and I'm sure if we really had to we could speak tagalog. Definitely wish I was better at it though
Actually that was what happened to me..

I was fluent until I got to school in the US and my teachers told them the same ****

My parents shouldn't have listened...

The part that doesn't make sense to me now as I am older is that my family owns and operates a damn Filipino restaurant.

What do you mean?

Where's the restaurant located? :nerd:

I guess he means it's odd that his aunt said they have to speak English only when they ran a Filipino establishment.

Ask them if they know what bagels are. I was in Makati telling relatives NY is known for our bagels and they asked what bagels were.
fam the only bread that really matters though is Pan De Sal. Toast that bish until it’s golden brown, throw some butter on there, and add a slice of sharp cheddar. Perfect sweet and salty combination.

NY bagels are different than other bagels though. The texture is different and they are also bigger than the ones you get at the grocery store. So much better.

Don't get me wrong, Pan De Sal is great, but it's not a go to sandwich bread.

As a NYer .. bagels are ok. If it was up to me on where to take my relatives next week... I'm not sure if bagels would be on the top of that list.

NY Pizza maybe? Peter Lugers steakhouse...or another michelin star restaurant.

Reactions: Ube
NY bagels are different than other bagels though. The texture is different and they are also bigger than the ones you get at the grocery store. So much better.

Don't get me wrong, Pan De Sal is great, but it's not a go to sandwich bread.
Pan de Sal is definitely not a breakfast type of bread for me. Dinner for sure, not so much when I wake up.

As a NYer .. bagels are ok. If it was up to me on where to take my relatives next week... I'm not sure if bagels would be on the top of that list.

NY Pizza maybe? Peter Lugers steakhouse...or another michelin star restaurant.

Whenever my parents come back from the Philippines they always are unsatisfied with the food, specifically restaurants. Sure it's cheap but they say it's not that good. I've been twice in the past 5 years and I gotta agree that restaurants there just aren't as good. They like to stick to buying fresh fish and cooking at home. They also go hard with the fruits when they're over there.

I wasn't allowed to speak english at home when we moved to Canada when I was 10. Glad that rule was enforced.

Whenever my parents come back from the Philippines they always are unsatisfied with the food, specifically restaurants. Sure it's cheap but they say it's not that good. I've been twice in the past 5 years and I gotta agree that restaurants there just aren't as good. They like to stick to buying fresh fish and cooking at home. They also go hard with the fruits when they're over there.

Not sure which restos you go to, but yeah, the cheap places are terrible. You have to pay to play.

I was in the phils 3 times last year. I would go from the high end at spirals' 100$ buffets or all you can eat wagyu at edsa shang. However, at surfing trips, the nice looking restos in the provinces are cheap and delicious. Legit home cook caliber meals. I am picky as well since I have a weak stomach. Non of that sari-sari restos that the poor people go to. Just keep in mind, if poor looking people go to that mom & pop resto, avoid it to protect your stomach. You dont want that LBM during your trip.

Back
Top Bottom