Firefighter fired over a gifted watermelon

I'm on some mongoose steez right now at these dudes....

giphy.gif

AEA came with the tactical facts strike...

Dude knew damn well what he was doing.

Am I in the minority for thinking he shouldn't have been fired?

I mean, I understand why he got fired, but I think losing your job is a little extreme without proper context. It's all about context, and it seems no one knew the context of his actions other than bringing a watermelon to primarily black co-workers. If his aim was to make racial jabs, okay fire him. Yes, it's a terrible choice, but what if he legitimately wanted to give a watermelon as a gift? OR what if HE DID know and thought he legitimately thinks black people love watermelon (with no racial undertones or knowledge of how it ties to black history) and wanted to share it with everyone? I think people are becoming overly sensitive of this issue, especially without proper context. But that's just me.

*flame suit up*

In St. Lucia it is famb.

I know there another fruit called that though.
It is in Jamaica too. Had a papaya tree in the backyard too, easy pass. As I got older though, a cool, sweet, not too smelly papaya is pretty good to me. Just like a good watermelon which is pretty rare for some reason, which is why I get some folks not liking it.

There's too many black folks willing to accept insults for the sake of inclusion. Ya'll are the majority here for christ's sake, have some balls. This pic makes it even more clear he did this with ill intent. Unless he just so happened to have a watermelon farm and loved sharing it with the world.

Yup, they're trying to be solid dudes but you gotta be smarter than that.

Can see it both sides.

He could have been trying to be subliminal but I personally think it was genuine and this is a case of stereotypes ****ing with our heads to make us extra weary.

NT rarely fails me. You told me that salt on watermelon was delicious. Its awful and I ruined a ruined perfectly good watermelon.
full

Can see it both sides.

He could have been trying to be subliminal but I personally think it was genuine and this is a case of stereotypes ****ing with our heads to make us extra weary.

I just can't see it that way because I've NEVER heard of a watermelon being gifted under any circumstances.

The pink bow is the second tip off. NEVER under any circumstances heard of a bow being applied to an edible dish that was being gifted either.

I just can't see it that way because I've NEVER heard of a watermelon being gifted under any circumstances.

The pink bow is the second tip off. NEVER under any circumstances heard of a bow being applied to an edible dish that was being gifted either.

yeah who knows

i think its hard to truly say without knowing the relationship because this really could go both ways

i can see how he would be trying to be slick and I can see how neither side could also not be looking at it that deep

Don't know if y'all dudes are being sarcastic or not.
After reading these replies it looks like y'all don't know.

Read and learn why that former firefighter was wrong.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/how-watermelons-became-a-racist-trope/383529/

Thomas Edison (Yes the inventor of the light bulb) perpetuated this stereotype with a film he made of a watermelon eating contest.

http://ourweekly.com/news/2014/feb/20/chicken-and-watermelon-fabricated-history/?page=2

I love learning the history behind stereotypes. I also think its funny how fried chicken became a black symbol but fried chicken actually comes from france and was first introduced to people in Louisiana by french colonists as a way to preserve meat. Raw meat goes bad fast, fried foods last a couple days.

fried chicken actually comes from france and was first introduced to people in Louisiana by french colonists as a way to preserve meat.

Actually the Scottish were the first to fry chicken, along with West Africans.

"The Scots, and later Scottish immigrants to the southern United States, had a tradition of deep frying chicken in fat as far back as the middle ages, unlike their English counterparts who baked or boiled chicken. When it was introduced to the American South, fried chicken became a common staple. Later, Africans brought over on the slave trade, became cooks in many southern households and incorporated seasonings and spices that were absent in traditional Scottish cuisine, enriching the flavor. Since fried chicken traveled well in hot weather before refrigeration was commonplace, it gained further favor. "

http://ergochef.com/blog/history-of-fried-chicken-spotlight-on-chef-duff-goldman/

Had some watermelon earlier with a dash of salt.

:pimp: :pimp: fire

Still dunno how anyone can hate watermelon tho

Back
Top Bottom