FIXED GEARS

Originally Posted by Redrum

could someone recommend me a good beginner Fixed Gear?
I want to start riding fixed, I ride an old mountain bike that is kinda of on it's last legs (gear shifter is messed up and it stays in second gear...)

Mercier Kilo TT from bikesdirect. the perfect beginner bike, cheap too.

Originally Posted by DimSum9

im 5'7, my next wheel set is gonna be some 650cc, I can't even 180 barspin in the front.

damn I'm 6'1 and I ride a 57.  You need a smaller frame son.

rather have a mountain bike but thats just my preference... i find these bikes uncomfortable and difficult to ride

it is a rush hour frame, got it at a local bike shop and all the accessories there. Seats lowered so it's comfortable for me to standover. When we were lookin at it, everything was wrapped so we couldn't tell the framesize.

its 4am pacific, just got back biking to in n out & some park with buddies to catch the meteor showers and actually did see some really nice ones. LOL, also met this one girl who freakn blew me away with all this bike knowledge that I have no clue about.

Yeah, that frame is way too big - the height doesn't matter but it will also be about an inch too long which is uncomfortable.

It also looks silly - and that must be one of the ugliest saddles I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by rafsjays

could someone recommend me a good beginner Fixed Gear?
I want to start riding fixed, I ride an old mountain bike that is kinda of on it's last legs (gear shifter is messed up and it stays in second gear...)

Mercier Kilo TT from bikesdirect. the perfect beginner bike, cheap too.
thanks for the recommendation, but what size would be good for me? , I'm 5' 8" 160 pounds.

Originally Posted by tommykairaa

i forgot what sizes the kilos come in.

but something round 52-54cm should be good bread.
oh, thanks bro.

idk, still on the fence about copping a fixed gear.
Are single speed mountain bikes relatively the same? I'm thinking the only difference is that you can coast on the mtn bike (which I like more) while you can't on a fixie.

this joint on bikes direct looks nice.
rausci.jpg

well you could change the cog on a track bike so you could coast youll just need to make sure the forks drilled for a brake.

but its up to you brah =o

oh, thanks bro.

Are single speed mountain bikes relatively the same? I'm thinking the only difference is that you can coast on the mtn bike (which I like more) while you can't on a fixie.

rausci.jpg

i understand getting a fixed road bike (it's fun to ride), but a fixed/single speed mountain bike is just stupid.

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

oh, thanks bro.

i understand getting a fixed road bike (it's fun to ride), but a fixed/single speed mountain bike is just stupid.
why is it stupid? Please elaborate.

dimsum, return your bike and get a proper size, get some grips before your hands get sweaty and you slip and loose some teeth.  finally get some brakes or foot retention.  preferably both because it's pretty clear you don't know what you're doing.

i got grips and I know how to skid stop

my next project bike is gonna be vintage and prob 53-54 cm.

I got hit the other day, although my bike seems okay. Stay safe everyone and wear a helmet!

Also if you're going to get a SS mountain bike-good luck in those trails I hear it's pretty insane on a single speed.

On the road, a residential street
ohwell.gif
. I still don't quite remember what happened, but I do remember landing on the other side of the car. lol

Originally Posted by sosly

On the road, a residential street
ohwell.gif
. I still don't quite remember what happened, but I do remember landing on the other side of the car. lol
ouch, I had a friend who got hit by a car too. Still working out the legality part but he might come out with some money.

this machine is mainly used for exercising.  the frame is a bit too big for me so i found a guy on craiglist who's down to trade his 56cm for my 60cm. 

Picked these up from my friend today, super stiffer than my last cranks haha
sw77yv.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

So I've been riding my Trek 4100 for a while, and recently I started thinking about how much fun my first bike was... some Huffy thing with spiders on it and #%!#. I was the most boss 7-year-old on the block. Anyways, the point is that I remembered how much I loved skidding and sliding on it (it was fixed). I'm considering converting it to a fixie, or at least a flip-flop hub for now.

So for NT's fixie enthusiasts, thoughts? I think I could probably still get $150 for the bike. Would it be better to convert it or just sell it and...?????

I'm open to ideas.

Back
Top Bottom