FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Turned out alright:
0-1.jpg

0-2.jpg

Still loving this soup. Really underestimated how flavorful it could be.

Loaf is fine, but could be better from my standards. Used some lean beef, when 80/20 would've yielded a better product. Also used an old, cheap temperature probe that clearly didn't fulfill its role. Moisture was missing.

Oh well...you live and you learn.

I love meatloaf... with mac n cheese and peas. Best loaf of meat I've ever had the pleasure to eat was during bruch at this place... it was like, ground steak meatloaf. Man.

Also, meatloaf has to have red sauce on top. Anything else is unacceptable.

Turned out alright:
0-1.jpg

0-2.jpg

Still loving this soup. Really underestimated how flavorful it could be.

Loaf is fine, but could be better from my standards. Used some lean beef, when 80/20 would've yielded a better product. Also used an old, cheap temperature probe that clearly didn't fulfill its role. Moisture was missing.

Oh well...you live and you learn.

What's that soup?
Recipe?

What's that soup?
Recipe?
Cauliflower leek soup.

Start with a large head of cauliflower, chop off the florets, mix in a bowl with canola oil, salt, and 3 crushed garlic cloves. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast at 375 for 30 minutes.

While that’s going, take 3 leeks and cut the viable part into 1/2 inch pieces, then soak in water to remove all dirt/grit. Also take 5-6 shallots and chop thinly.

Get a heavy-bottomed pan and bring to a medium heat. Throw a splash of olive oil and a knob of butter in and let it melt until frothy. Throw the shallots in and then add the leeks a minute later.

At this point the cauliflower should be finishing up. Sweat the shalltots/leeks for about 10 mins, then add the cauliflower/garlic into the pot. Add dried or fresh thyme to taste along with salt and pepper.

Let that blend together for 5–10 minutes then add 32oz of vegetable stock. Add a healthy splash of heavy cream if you want it to be extra rich, then bring to a boil and set to a simmer for 45 minutes.

Take an immersion blender or transfer it to an actual blender/food processor. Blend to a puree with some sizeable chunks. Season with salt and pepper to taste, top with fresh grated pecorino romano and chopped chives and serve immediately.

Cauliflower leek soup.

Start with a large head of cauliflower, chop off the florets, mix in a bowl with canola oil, salt, and 3 crushed garlic cloves. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast at 375 for 30 minutes.

While that’s going, take 3 leeks and cut the viable part into 1/2 inch pieces, then soak in water to remove all dirt/grit. Also take 5-6 shallots and chop thinly.

Get a heavy-bottomed pan and bring to a medium heat. Throw a splash of olive oil and a knob of butter in and let it melt until frothy. Throw the shallots in and then add the leeks a minute later.

At this point the cauliflower should be finishing up. Sweat the shalltots/leeks for about 10 mins, then add the cauliflower/garlic into the pot. Add dried or fresh thyme to taste along with salt and pepper.

Let that blend together for 5–10 minutes then add 32oz of vegetable stock. Add a healthy splash of heavy cream if you want it to be extra rich, then bring to a boil and set to a simmer for 45 minutes.

Take an immersion blender or transfer it to an actual blender/food processor. Blend to a puree with some sizeable chunks. Season with salt and pepper to taste, top with fresh grated pecorino romano and chopped chives and serve immediately.
giphy.gif

I love meatloaf... with mac n cheese and peas. Best loaf of meat I've ever had the pleasure to eat was during bruch at this place... it was like, ground steak meatloaf. Man.

Also, meatloaf has to have red sauce on top. Anything else is unacceptable.

hate red sauce...then again im not big on red sauce in/on anything. i do a mushroom gravy/topping for my turkey meatloaf

hate red sauce...then again im not big on red sauce in/on anything. i do a mushroom gravy/topping for my turkey meatloaf
my wife wont eat red sauce (mainly tomato sauce/gravy). it drives me nuts that we can never just order a normal pizza. :lol:

Haven't made meatloaf in quite some time, but I remembered really liking my previous renditions of it. On the menu for tonight:

0-1.jpg

Only using the loaf pan to let it firm up and form the mold. Gonna flip it over and let it crust up in the oven so I can top it with a sweet/spicy glaze.
I criss cross bacon on top of mine
Then add the glaze on top of the bacon as it’s cooking

I criss cross bacon on top of mine
Then add the glaze on top of the bacon as it’s cooking
I opted to crisp up some thick-cut bacon and chop it up and incorporate it into the blend.

I feel like the bacon never crisps up to my liking when it's on top of the meat.

I opted to crisp up some thick-cut bacon and chop it up and incorporate it into the blend.

I feel like the bacon never crisps up to my liking when it's on top of the meat.

How was it with the cooked
already chopped bacon???

How was it with the cooked
already chopped bacon???
Worked out alright. The crispiness turns into confluence when the fat from the meat incorporates and softens the crispy bacon up a bit. Adds a smoky component to the beef mix. When you take a bite the flavor is distinct, but there's no texture contrast to detract from what a meatloaf is supposed to be.

Just wished I used a fattier blend for my loaf and had a reliable meat thermometer.

Back
Top Bottom