FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Tempted...

Screenshot_20200409-070914_Chrome.jpg

I don’t even know what that comment was in reference to. Lol. Subway still trash. Haven’t eaten there In over 7 years. If you’re in the dmv go to New York deli in brandywine.

I do miss the raspberry cheesecake cookies tho

Yo my dudes tomdiginson tomdiginson M Mark Antony is there another name for peanut punch or something? Is it regional?

Been talking to a Jamaican chick and we end up talking about bubble tea, so i mentioned ima big fan of peanut punch. She said she doesnt know what that is.

Dumbfounded. Sent pics. Still nothing.

Is it #regional? Or is this a case of #individual?

Yo my dudes tomdiginson tomdiginson M Mark Antony is there another name for peanut punch or something? Is it regional?

Been talking to a Jamaican chick and we end up talking about bubble tea, so i mentioned ima big fan of peanut punch. She said she doesnt know what that is.

Nah that should be an entire country thing, it's pretty common. Maybe because it's more male targeted she might not know, but from home made to commercial, joint is all over the place.

Other names might be strongback punch or just punch.

Nah that should be an entire country thing, it's pretty common. Maybe because it's more male targeted she might not know, but from home made to commercial, joint is all over the place.
Ive met women that didnt care for it, but they knew what it was. First time meeting someone that has absolutely no idea what it is.

Thats for the entire country. Hell, Grace food brand, Lasco and Nestle have their own variants of it. Maybe her parents are from there and never really made her experience the culture and she just claims it?

While I got you here M Mark Antony

Tried to make Curry Shrimp, didn't come out right.

Man, what do you do to get the "broth" right because with chicken, the blood from the chicken seasons the juice.

With shrimp, since you only cook the Shrimp for about 5 mins, there is no flavor from the ANIMAL so it tasted bland.

Need tips

Man, what do you do to get the "broth" right because with chicken, the blood from the chicken seasons the juice.

With shrimp, since you only cook the Shrimp for about 5 mins, there is no flavor from the ANIMAL so it tasted bland.

Need tips
You have to cook the powder first till it's dark then add whatever else. We call it "burn" but it's not really burnt. After that the prominent flavor should be the curry.

For chicken usually clean it first with vinegar (or anything else acidic/alcohol) so there's really no "blood" when cooked through. Cooks long enough where everything else cooks down and never have that issue.

For shrimp/seafood, a few diff approaches:

-**** it, depending on how lazy i am i just live with it
- "burn" the curry first (again don't really burn, just dark enough before an actual burnt taste kicks in)
-Add some grace fish tea, adds that seafood flavor
-squeeze some lime in towards the end, adds a quick kick of trick flavor
-Cook down some sacrificial shrimp first that will add the flavor, but clearly shrink. This is just for flavor. Sometimes i'll do the whole thing with shell, remove after all the flavors simmered then add shrimp
-last riskier one is quick cook in the hot oil, curry powder and garlic, remove, continue with broth, readd towards the end

depends on how I feel really.

You have to cook the powder first till it's dark then add whatever else. We call it "burn" but it's not really burnt. After that the prominent flavor should be the curry.

For chicken usually clean it first with vinegar (or anything else acidic/alcohol) so there's really no "blood" when cooked through. Cooks long enough where everything else cooks down and never have that issue.

- "burn" the curry first (again don't really burn, just dark enough before an actual burnt taste kicks in)
-Cook down some sacrificial shrimp first that will add the flavor, but clearly shrink. This is just for flavor. Sometimes i'll do the whole thing with shell, remove after all the flavors simmered then add shrimp
-last riskier one is quick cook in the hot oil, curry powder and garlic, remove, continue with broth, readd towards the end

Chicken: Yea, I burned the powder first. I follow that same method when cooking chicken as well. I usually clean the chickens with vinegar, I said blood but I simply meant the marinated curry chicken cooking in the burnt curry water gives the water flavor. Just doesn't happen with the Shrimp curry.

Shrimp: I need the "Fish Tea." Noted: Lime.

RIskier Option: Without knowing anything, that is what I would THINK to do, but I didn't.

I will try again soon. Thanks for tips.

Need tips

You can add some coconut milk to it as well.

You can add some coconut milk to it as well.
Yep.

I always want to master curry dishes without coconut first before I introduce that element to it.

Like with curry chicken, I use coconut milk depending on how I feel.

This Shrimp has me stumped.

Need tips
use the shell to make a seafood broth
should help

Yep.

I always want to master curry dishes without coconut first before I introduce that element to it.

Like with curry chicken, I use coconut milk depending on how I feel.

This Shrimp has me stumped.
Do you add potatoes to it? That's something that helps add body to the gravy along with carrots(not too much cause it makes it turn sweet)

Do you add potatoes to it? That's something that helps add body to the gravy along with carrots(not too much cause it makes it turn sweet)
Yep. Potatoes are usually added last to thicken it up.

I made the mistake of using carrots the FIRST time I made Curry Chicken, altered the flavor too much.

I am about to stop using onions as well. Changes the flavor of the broth too much.

Honestly, I am very confident in my curry chicken at this point. I was making it about once every 2 weeks at a certain point. Coconut and Regular.

I need to figure out the shrimp.

I also want to learn how to do Indian curry. I tried making it the same way I made Jamaian Curry, but that didn't work out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom