FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Was there any cheese included? Also why do those eggs look so nice ? :lol:
Parmigino Reggiano at the end
With an edible garnish
350CFAD5-1468-4383-93B6-56457F018CA2.jpeg

Every weekend for the past like 5 weeks
Me and my kids have cooked something together
They wanted to learn how to cook different stuff.
my daughter went to visit her mom
So it’s just my youngest daughter
And my son(14 in 2 weeks)
He was juiced as hell
Cookin with the kids is dope. Plan on doing the same when I have some

Gonna start fine tuning, developing, and testing recipes for future purposes. I had yams lyin around so I just decided to make candied yams. I hate most candied yams because they're TOO sweet and drowned in syrup. I get they're supposed to be that way but damn. So I tried to make my version with less syrup and less sweetness
2DB8FEB7-EDBF-43F3-8FEC-ACB28581DA4B.jpeg

Used 4 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon white sugar and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. 1/4 teaspoon each of nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground clove. Would've used ground ginger and vanilla but I didn't have any on me. Melted the butter and sugar, added the spices and tossed it with the yams. Baked for about 50 minutes. Checked on them after 30 minutes.
9FB9F7E1-BFF3-4B9C-9783-170FFB5BD10B.jpeg
97A33E52-3183-4874-8876-B4FD3E6A51AE.jpeg

Final Result. Ended up with too much syrup so next time I'm gonna cut the butter down by two tablespoons. Also, the sugar wasn't nearly enough. It was as if I didn't add any sugar, so next time, I'll add a tablespoon more of white and brown sugar. The seasonings were fine but I'm gonna add vanilla and ground ginger. The ground clove left a bitter aftertaste so next time I'll use half. Otherwise, I'm on track to developing a candied yam recipe to how I like it. 7/10
5AD112CA-C821-4999-A6A0-E05146C1CFB4.jpeg

Gonna start fine tuning, developing, and testing recipes for future purposes. I had yams lyin around so I just decided to make candied yams. I hate most candied yams because they're TOO sweet and drowned in syrup. I get they're supposed to be that way but damn. So I tried to make my version with less syrup and less sweetness

Used 4 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon white sugar and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. 1/4 teaspoon each of nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground clove. Would've used ground ginger and vanilla but I didn't have any on me. Melted the butter and sugar, added the spices and tossed it with the yams. Baked for about 50 minutes. Checked on them after 30 minutes.

Final Result. Ended up with too much syrup so next time I'm gonna cut the butter down by two tablespoons. Also, the sugar wasn't nearly enough. It was as if I didn't add any sugar, so next time, I'll add a tablespoon more of white and brown sugar. The seasonings were fine but I'm gonna add vanilla and ground ginger. The ground clove left a bitter aftertaste so next time I'll use half. Otherwise, I'm on track to developing a candied yam recipe to how I like it. 7/10
Do you mix your seasonings together before adding them to the yams?

Vs.

Putting them in one by one?

I would suggest mixing the seasonings together so that you decrease the chances of bad distribution.

1586706090965.png

^ I got this from a weekly, side of the road Flea Market in West Virginia for $1. It is honestly my most use kitchen "appliance." Whenever I am seasoning anything using multiple seasonings, I throw them in here and mix/mash. Or you could just do it in a small bowl.

But I think that might help with the cloves being too bitter. (But you already said you would use half).

Lastly, I would suggest letting the broiler get to the yams for a few mins to help with the carmelization process.

But Keep us updated man.

Last edited:

glad you didn’t add marshmallows. I hate that. I never get the syrup affect. I use bourbon, lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla, brown sugar, honey and nutmeg
What you guys got planned for Easter dinner?

I wanted to smoke some Cornish hens but they were all sold out
Smoking stuffed chicken breasts
Cheddar cornbread
Spinach pear and strawberry Gorgonzola salad
Cheesy green beans

9348031E-A234-4FCD-96E9-A1FCFBADF5A8.jpeg

about to throw these on

Last edited:
Egg o'clock.
IMG_20200412_151408_445[1].jpg

I got a hold of mushrooms and spinach, so I just want to prepare you for potential future variations.

How's your cholesterol? A while back I used to eat egg sandwiches everyday and my cholesterol was through the roof.

A few NTers suggested just eating egg whites but I decided to just slow the egg consumption all the way down and it helped a lot.

How's your cholesterol? A while back I used to eat egg sandwiches everyday and my cholesterol was through the roof.

A few NTers suggested just eating egg whites but I decided to just slow the egg consumption all the way down and it helped a lot.

eggs are good for you unless high cholesterol runs in your family. saturated and trans fats have a bigger effect on blood cholesterol

they're a very high quality protein and contrary to popular belief it's found in the yolk too (3.6 g in the white, 2.7 g in the yolk of a large egg). also a lot of vitamins, minerals, and inflammation fighting proteins, and immunoglobulins in the yolks

but people tend to eat them as part of a meal that's not healthy and not as a stand alone protein

Back
Top Bottom