FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

If someone from DC says "MARYLAND" they are speaking of parts of Maryland that are in the DC Metro Area.

When folks from DC are talking about OTHER parts of Maryland, they will EXPLICITLY state what they are talking about. (Baltimore, Western Maryland, etc.)
marikomorose marikomorose the map you posted. That chick would be referring to places like Silver Spring, College Park, and Suitland as "MARYLAND". They are in the DC Metro Area.

Owings Mills, Randallstown, and Towson would not come up when she refers to MARYLAND as they are in the Baltimore Metro Area. She would probably just call them all Baltimore.

I lived in Suitland for a bit.

Yall are weird about labeling where you're from.

I remember telling someone I was in DC and was quickly corrected that Suitland is not DC.

Also Baltimore is not in the DMV.
Being precise is weird?

That isn't weird at all. Suitland is Suitland. It isn't DC.

The same way someone that is from Naperville, Illinois that attends the University of Wisconsin shouldn't be claiming they are from Chicago.

Naperville is Naperville, Chicago is Chicago.

I lived in Suitland for a bit.

Yall are weird about labeling where you're from.

I remember telling someone I was in DC and was quickly corrected that Suitland is not DC.

Also Baltimore is not in the DMV.
Feel like it's relatively similar to saying you were in NYC if you were actually in New Rochelle.

Being precise is weird?

That isn't weird at all. Suitland is Suitland. It isn't DC.

The same way someone that is from Naperville, Illinois that attends the University of Wisconsin shouldn't be claiming they are from Chicago.

Naperville is Naperville, Chicago is Chicago.

I disagree if you're within the metro area I think you should claim the major city.

Made some chicken fettuccine Alfredo for dinner last night... Hope you all are well
IMG_20200425_220415-01.jpeg

I agree with all the nuances. It’s the same here in MA, people will say they’re from Boston but they really aren’t. There’s like 10-11 towns that make up the actual city of Boston, anything else doesn’t count

Where does Delaware fall into all this? Since it’s right there

i often forget Delaware exists

I'm aware. New Rochelle isn't NYC the same way that Suitland isn't DC.
You no what? I made a mistake no including Mt Vernon & New Rochelle. since they're pretty in the same area. They're just suburb so yeah they're included, but places like BUFFALO??? Just no, they're barely even America.

I agree with all the nuances. It’s the same here in MA, people will say they’re from Boston but they really aren’t. There’s like 10-11 towns that make up the actual city of Boston, anything else doesn’t count

Delaware is Delaware. It's own thing. It's beach towns generally get grouped in with Maryland's as The Eastern Shore though.

And yeah, Boston is very similar with the nuances.

Wilmington delaware = grouped up in many conversations pertaining to philly & chester....swerving thru the westside of wilmington resembles parts of baltimore/philly (even the westside of lousville kentucky felt like i was in bmore-philly)

In LA, where people claim they’re from depends on who they’re talking to. If it’s someone else who knows the SoCal area, then you identify the actual neighborhood - Santa Monica, Inglewood, Long Beach, Sherman Oaks, etc. if it’s someone from outside the area, people just say LA.

The only time DC and Baltimore are in the same region is when discussing Combined Statistical Areas (CSA).

The NYC CSA includes Philly and Camden. If those aren't in the same region then neither is DC and Bmore.

Dudes adding the whole state of VA, which is the size of NY state, to the DMV area but dont even claim the next borough.

On Delaware, not to pile on, but I do remember being on the East Coast once and noticed on a train ride to somewhere else that we were going through Delaware. My reaction was something along the lines of, “oh yeah, Deleware...it does exist.”

In LA, where people claim they’re from depends on who they’re talking to. If it’s someone else who knows the SoCal area, then you identify the actual neighborhood - Santa Monica, Inglewood, Long Beach, Sherman Oaks, etc. if it’s someone from outside the area, people just say LA.

Aren't those cities rather than neighborhoods?

Back
Top Bottom