FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

only extremes i see are those comparing a salad to a steak or acting like there's no situation where splitting a bill could make sense
:lol: Man that was ONE person.

y’all have never shared a meal out? you’re at a pizza place and a couple pizzas and salads are ordered. you saying nah I’m cool on those and ordering a personal? or calculating $/slice and keeping track of how many you eat?
Honestly, whenever I go out, folks order their own stuff. Somebody might be like, "Aye let me get one of those potato skins" but for the most part, folks aren't sharing foods like that.

Now, that is why I said it might be a #Cultural thing.
The Black folks I go out with aren't doing that. Especially if it is JUST a group of dudes.

Now, when I go to dinner with co-workers (mixed peoples), that is more likely. But even then, it is more of a pairing thing.

For instance, if 8 people go out;
Persons 1 and 6: Share Pizza
Persons 3 and 4: Share Pitas + Dip
Person 6: (Usually me) Order own stuff

So it is never a, "EVeryone eats so everyone splits" type of thing.

Hope that makes sense.

Homemade pizza w/ pepperoni, spicy Italian sausage, and meatballs. Smoked + regular mozz, parmesan, and romano cheeses. Crust was store bought. Thankfully Ledos ships their sauce :smokin
7819E789-FAF6-464F-9DE7-2865A9A7C811.jpeg
A45A88A5-C282-49E0-91C4-4755DDD36D32.jpeg

Homemade pizza w/ pepperoni, spicy Italian sausage, and meatballs. Smoked + regular mozz, parmesan, and romano cheeses. Crust was store bought. Thankfully Ledos ships their sauce :smokin
7819E789-FAF6-464F-9DE7-2865A9A7C811.jpeg
A45A88A5-C282-49E0-91C4-4755DDD36D32.jpeg
Hahah we just used some Ledo's sauce the other night. Wife's friend owns one in the area. I didn't even know they sold it like that.

Hahah we just used some Ledo's sauce the other night. Wife's friend owns one in the area. I didn't even know they sold it like that.
Tried my best to recreate their pizza but I’d need to make the crust myself. Need to find smoked provolone. Still turned out really good.

Trader Joe’s meatballs with Ledo sauce is perfect for quick spaghetti.

:lol: Maybe it was NT extreme but i was moreso getting at if we go to a spot with a variety of items, dishes, prices and everyones getting something different for themselves is where i thought splitting is absurd. Obviously if we’re getting some pizza and wings or if we go to a sushi spot and all decide to pick a roll and share/mix and match and all grubbin then its definitely something we split

i think we’re all kinda on the same page in this “argument” tbh :lol:

Honestly, whenever I go out, folks order their own stuff. Somebody might be like, "Aye let me get one of those potato skins" but for the most part, folks aren't sharing foods like that.

Now, that is why I said it might be a #Cultural thing.
The Black folks I go out with aren't doing that. Especially if it is JUST a group of dudes.

Now, when I go to dinner with co-workers (mixed peoples), that is more likely. But even then, it is more of a pairing thing.

For instance, if 8 people go out;
Persons 1 and 6: Share Pizza
Persons 3 and 4: Share Pitas + Dip
Person 6: (Usually me) Order own stuff

So it is never a, "EVeryone eats so everyone splits" type of thing.

Hope that makes sense.

:lol:

it does. most people just want something specific and to keep it moving

generally how i feel unless it's a good enough restaurant and the food is conducive to sharing

So what are you suggesting? That people go out to eat, one person goes all-out, the other person orders something small/cheap, and the person going all-out expects the other person to meet them in the middle without any discussion of how the bill will be split beforehand? How commonplace do you think this is? And whose fault is that in the event that it happens?

Talk about how the bill is going to be paid before you order and stick to your word when the check hits the table. Why is this so hard for some people to understand?
This silly preamble can be done away with by simply getting a separate check.

It's really not common for me to have discussions about how the bill will be paid beforehand when I go out with friends. It isn't our bill in the first place.

Must be some cultural differences here. Same way as kids when we to the bodega and bought our own ****, same way we went to fast food joints and bought our own food, same way we went to bars or clubs and bought our own drinks, same way we went to restaurants and paid separately.
only extremes i see are those comparing a salad to a steak or acting like there's no situation where splitting a bill could make sense

y’all have never shared a meal out? you’re at a pizza place and a couple pizzas and salads are ordered. you saying nah I’m cool on those and ordering a personal? or calculating $/slice and keeping track of how many you eat?

sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it doesn't
I'm not paying for the salads cuz I don't eat them at least not ordering them.

I'll go half or a 1/3 or w/e on a pie and proceed to eat/take my portion according to how many ppl put in for it.

But that's never happened when I went out to eat pizza with friends. We have always ordered our own meals. Different tastes, different appetites, different amounts of money on hand any given day.

Got a friend don't even eat pizza but will still come along for convo and enjoying our company only to order a drink or icee.

what about a Spanish spot with small plates?
Order more than one meal for yourself?
or a place with entrees made to be shared?
Share it with yourself.

Just cuz something is made to be shared doesn't mean you have to.

Cuz will this place not seat me if I come in alone? Clearly can't share when you're alone. Does this place not do delivery or doggy bags? Cuz I can order enough food for one so it should be no problem amongst a group.

Last edited:
This silly preamble can be done away with by simply getting a separate check.

It's really not common for me to have discussions about how the bill will be paid beforehand when I go out with friends. It isn't our bill in the first place.

This.

Also, if it is a pizza place and one person orders a pizza that is shared, that person can just put the pizza on their tab. Same for if a bottle of wine is purchased for the table or an appetizer.

The even splitting of the table's check actually makes things unnecessarily complicated imo.

Back
Top Bottom