FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Yea Same concept as broiling so yea I am basically asking about that as well. I don't own an air fryer and never intend on buying one. :lol:

Redundant kitchen appliance in my opinion.
I’m with you on this one. I do enjoy my air fryer because it cooks whatever have in no time. So for that it makes sense to have it. Also I feel bad turning on the oven to warm up a few pieces of something, I’ll just put it in the air fryer.

I’m with you on this one. I do enjoy my air fryer because it cooks whatever have in no time. So for that it makes sense to have it. Also I feel bad turning on the oven to warm up a few pieces of something, I’ll just put it in the air fryer.

I have solar panels so everything is electric. So I never feel bad about using electricity. But I understand your point. I have a toaster oven as well so for many things I could just use that.

1. Could roasting/broiling plantains work?
I sometimes crave "fried plantains" but I never fry anything in here because I never want my place smelling like grease. Looking for that golden exterior and soft interior without the extra far.

2. Is Caribbean spots selling macaroni and cheese done for American customers or is that something that is eaten regularly in the Caribbean.

I come in pure ignorance.

tomdiginson tomdiginson M Mark Antony RustyShackleford RustyShackleford @layziegunts @JRepp23
1. Yes, roasting plantain could work. I have an uncle that does them that way for convenience. Hell, a lot of Lucians boil their plantain half the time. The only thing I would tell you is that it might take you a couple of tries to get the ripeness, size of slices, and temperature combo right. Make sure it is not too ripe, and make sure it gets enough time for the center to cook through.

2. Macaroni pie is eaten regularly in St. Lucia. Not a lot during the week but it is a staple for Sunday Lunch and other big family meals. There are also fast food restaurants where you buy a full meal/plate of traditional island food (think a setup like Boston Market), and macaroni pie is an option sometimes. Macaroni pie in the southern Caribbean is different than soul food mac-n-cheese.

Caribbean macaroni pie looks more...
17-Trinidad+Macaroni+pie-17.jpg

Instead of creamy like Southern style. I notice a lot of Caribbean places in the states make it Southern style for Americans.

Southern style Mac isn't the creamy style, it's baked.
Relative to a macaroni pie it is creamier

Depending on how much milk is used, bake time, cheese used, and the binders used a Southern style comes out different from the Caribbean style

Maybe "less firm" is a better term

Talking about the differences between this end product...
Southern...

The Caribbean...

1. Could roasting/broiling plantains work?
I sometimes crave "fried plantains" but I never fry anything in here because I never want my place smelling like grease. Looking for that golden exterior and soft interior without the extra far.

2. Is Caribbean spots selling macaroni and cheese done for American customers or is that something that is eaten regularly in the Caribbean.

I come in pure ignorance.

tomdiginson tomdiginson M Mark Antony RustyShackleford RustyShackleford @layziegunts @JRepp23
Yeah, I've boiled ripe plantains and roasted them before. Hell, I've roasted bread fruit in my oven before.

in high school my friends older brother told us about that, we'd be punching the meat all the way down into the bowl lol. but yeah now they got signs up about that. protip: use the tongs to push it all down on the downlow.

quality of meat...eh I know what I'm getting at the mall food court. it fills me up and tastes decent.

I guess those types of establishments got tired of customers trying to get smart about maximizing their meat servings with pushing them down the bowl after many years. Like I mentioned, it looks like some places only let the employees fill the bowls, so you're going to be assed out if they don't let customers fill their bowls.

I recall the one time a lady behind me complimented that I knew how to eat when she saw me pushing down on the meat when I was filling the bowl. 😆

It's understandable for many people to disregard the quality of meat, or lack thereof, due to not having a broad sense because most will just fixate on the perception of it being a good deal with being able to fill the bowl up as much as you can.

I really didn't think about it until my mom mentioned the meats were hard and sticky when she ate the leftovers I brought home after she reheated it.

Back
Top Bottom