FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Well, I respect your point of view, but I am going to continue to be proud of my high Taco Bell and alcohol tolerances.

9A1E3D09-7FED-42F9-AE5C-9EC047E683AD.gif
im not mad at you.
my alcohol tolerance is way too high

It’s our wedding anniversary on Tuesday so we celebrated tonight.

7 cheese Mac n cheese
87A7585F-2240-41DE-B291-BA0F21CF895F.jpeg

Ribeye medium rare with garlic chips and stuffed mushroom (not pictured is the mushroom sauce for the steak)
409DC2BF-C9FD-4258-B18E-BBF03ADAF486.jpeg

Turtle ice cream dessert. Caramel ice cream with toffee brittle on top and caramel sauce
14A601E3-7B39-43EB-8A99-B0B5AAC0D705.jpeg

Also not pictured -
Portobello mushroom “fries” with herb aioli
Mashed potatoes

Both also delicious.

I grilled some Filipino style marinated chicken wings. I paired it with a salad made up of things I got at the farmer's market: cucumber, radishes, cherry tomatoes, corn, lime, cilantro, and olive oil plus some picked jalapenos. Crispy and rich wings are so good with coconut vinegar-palm sugar-fish sauce based marinades. The crunchy and fresh veggie salad was a perfect counter point to the rich and unctuous wings.

The farmer's markets in California are probably at best time of the year. There is still a lot of summer produce still being picked. So you can get summer fruits and veg like tomatoes, corn, zucchini, eggplant, and peaches all alongside late summer and fall produce like grapes, apples, persimmons, and mushrooms. I try to hit up at least farmer's markets per week but short of that I make sure to get to two farmer's markets, one on the weekend and one mid week or so. BTW check this out to see what's currently in season.

My mom is very granola so I have a lot of early childhood memories there. Was it mostly boring for a small child? Actually yes, but I learned a lot, was delighted by new sights and smells on occasion, always got bribed with tasty (but still granola mom approved) treats; so therefore and rosy color nostalgia glasses have me taking my kids to the farmer's market now. This Sunday one of my kids will be with me at the farmer's, helping me to carry home cabbage that will be used to make sauerkraut. Which ever kid(s) volunteer will get a whole wheat crepe with fresh but unsweetened strawberries.

Verti Marte 24 hours sandwich/Po’boy
Neyow’s Creole Cafe
GW Fins
Lil’ Dizzy’s Cafe
Jacquimos
Mopho
Peewees crab cake
Pra lees
Mother’s
Deanie Seafood
Chicken & Watermelon for daiquiris (be careful, near the jets in uptown. Don’t know if they’re still open)
Magasin Kitchen
Pascals Manale
Munch Factory
New Orleans Spirit and Food
Dooky Chase
MayPop
Emeril’s
The Big Cheesy
Gumbo Shop
The Velvet Cactus
13 Monaghan
Oceana Gill
Cajun Food on Broadway
Bevi Seafood Company
Crabby Jacks And Parkway Bakery (Po’boy)
Cafe reconcile
Killer Po’boy
Lily’s cafe
Meril
Restaurant Rebirth
Cafe Beignet ( alternative to Cafe Du Monde)
Luke Restaurant
Heading to town for Ravens/Saints in a few weeks. Been to several of the places on your list.

Currently have reservations for Galatoire’s, jazz brunch at Commander’s Palace, and Compere Lapin (Top Chef runner up). Probably going to hit Dooky Chase. Might have another meal or two.

Wanted to hit a couple of the big spots since I’ve never been. Never brought nice enough clothes on my previous trips :lol:

I grilled some Filipino style marinated chicken wings. I paired it with a salad made up of things I got at the farmer's market: cucumber, radishes, cherry tomatoes, corn, lime, cilantro, and olive oil plus some picked jalapenos. Crispy and rich wings are so good with coconut vinegar-palm sugar-fish sauce based marinades. The crunchy and fresh veggie salad was a perfect counter point to the rich and unctuous wings.

The farmer's markets in California are probably at best time of the year. There is still a lot of summer produce still being picked. So you can get summer fruits and veg like tomatoes, corn, zucchini, eggplant, and peaches all alongside late summer and fall produce like grapes, apples, persimmons, and mushrooms. I try to hit up at least farmer's markets per week but short of that I make sure to get to two farmer's markets, one on the weekend and one mid week or so. BTW check this out to see what's currently in season.

My mom is very granola so I have a lot of early childhood memories there. Was it mostly boring for a small child? Actually yes, but I learned a lot, was delighted by new sights and smells on occasion, always got bribed with tasty (but still granola mom approved) treats; so therefore and rosy color nostalgia glasses have me taking my kids to the farmer's market now. This Sunday one of my kids will be with me at the farmer's, helping me to carry home cabbage that will be used to make sauerkraut. Which ever kid(s) volunteer will get a whole wheat crepe with fresh but unsweetened strawberries.
imagination-pics.gif

This guy even writes essays in the food thread. Sheesh

I wouldnt do it but I dont think its that weird? Ive seen people eating steak and eggs do it.

I put this on my steal yesterday

20221014_215900.jpg
Spicy sauces for me are okay on almost any meal imo. So that's fine. That's just how it is for those who prefer things spicier.

For a while now I've just been just seasoning my steaks and other meats with cayenne pepper or some other hot spice.

Last edited:
Tried to go up to the Hudson Valley to do some hiking this weekend, but the hotels are booked solid right now so we’re doing a surprise 5 course tasting menu with wine pairings tonight as a consolation prize.

Should be a good time. Will report back.

Saw the Black Indian exhibit at the Muser du quai Branly Jacques Chirac. They did the whole history of New Orleans including the Black tribes and Indians of New Orleans.

Wished NOLA had a museum like this about its culture.

Of course the food -

9616C0D3-7327-4E0C-A7C4-CFD988702546.jpeg
5BB2B3D3-3248-4438-8D82-8F0DEDDCDFA4.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom