FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

yeah gonna reverse sear it.
just overnight it’s already coming apart cause its so marbled. i’ve seen some people tie a string around it so i was just wondering.

when you sous vide, do you do the ice bath thing to cool the skin and prevent the inner grey band? thinking about trying something similar.

Yeah, I had some well marbled filets recently (not as much as yours even) that I noticed were doing the same after 24 salted. I did not string them and they survived in tact but I don't see how it could hurt if you're concerned

It depends but usually not. I typically only sous vide thicker/leaner cuts like filets. Ice baths are needed more for thin cuts or when you plan to store the meat for an extended period in the fridge before searing

For a thick filet you can set the sous vide to its desired doneness temp or 1-2 degrees less if you want a longer/harder sear. And as long as you sear it within 1-2 hours no need for ice

B4F1B254-FC8B-4B71-BB03-CB4569E5CB48.jpeg

Random Hail Mary throw of a question that I'm gonna put out there: has anyone else found it exceedingly difficult to find whole star anise in grocery stores as of late?

I can find anise seed without issue, but the actual whole cloves are nowhere to be found out by me. Been to about 5 different grocery stores in the past month to no avail. This never used to be a problem for me.

any chinatown or ranch 99 market will get you right

post 24 hour salt brine. is anyone experienced with tenderloins? do i have to tie a string around it when i cook it? it’s pretty marbled i’m scared it might just come apart.
8B4F439D-C6B9-495E-8670-3BAF0455C34D.jpeg

People tie them to get even cooking but I don’t see how it would hurt.

for anyone that cares
i finally got rid of that inner grey band that forms under the crust for a consistent wall to wall redness. after taking it out the oven i let it sit out for a couple minutes and then i rested it for 30 mins in the fridge. it dried the skin out even more and allowed me to get a good crust without cooking the inner part. also i flipped it every 10 seconds for 1 minute on a cast iron and the middle was still warm.
F121F48B-976F-4A65-9CD9-D122B8E14FE9.jpeg

not my pic but this the grey band i am talking about.

8003D9BD-E948-4742-B6A4-D773A1AC3E69.jpeg

Alone? Tostones? Mofongo? Rice? Where the sides at?

You still salty (pun intended) about being 41 with bad lipids so I offered a healthy option for sides. It’s not that deep. :lol:
:lol: Aw man a salad you’re so helpful dawg thank you so much for your input

Also I love that the 41 joke lives on.

-spike

Back
Top Bottom