FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

The food in Cedars is nice.

One of my hospitals has a food court with different options including chikfila, dunkin, pizza and a thai restaurant.

Actual hospital cafeteria food, which one of my hospitals does have is almost inedible even for free.
That ls nice. It’s more of the hospital thing that creeps me out. Even when I had my daughter the only thing I would eat was the cereal and milk for bfast. Then I had snacks or outside food. My husband would order two things knowing I wouldn’t eat mine 😂

Looks terrible
As I said above, a lot of hospitals have crappy food, but there are some exceptions that's I've experienced. The giant teaching hospitals in LA like Cedars and UCLA have made an effort to improve their cafeterias in recent years. You can get a variety of made-to-order hot food at both places during regular lunch and dinner hours. I've had some good meals both places. With there being a shortage in the healthcare workforce in a lot of places, having decent food is something places are starting to push as a perk for recruiting purposes.
The hospital my grandmother was at in LA had pretty good food at the cafeteria. Don't remember the name though.

Cafeteria food was looked at as "broke" when I was coming up.

One the few things that get to me is people thinking because they have a single car garage they are better than people with no garage.

If you was at a public school your parents were “broke”.

Frutopias >>>>

Single car garage is just a dirty closet.

D6368303-5ECF-4E16-967A-B7969E35AA82.jpeg

I never did school lunch either. But in middle school and high school. The chocolate chip cookies and fries used to get me by 😂

Yeah usually took a packed lunch elementary and middle school, felt like the man when id pull up with a pizza lunchable in elementary :lol: id go off campus for lunch in high school but during break our cafeteria would have either hot chocolate chip cookies or this hot cheesy bread that was :pimp: with some ranch :lol:

One the few things that get to me is people thinking because they have a single car garage they are better than people with no garage.

Frutopias >>>>
I dunno there was some really rich kids at my public school

Frutopias >>>>
There’s a ton of affluent kids at regular public schools in West LA… I’m sure lawdog1 lawdog1 can confirm :lol:

That said, most kids are dumb so it was definitely a stupid line of thinking looking back.

My good friend in school was this German dude and I taught him how to be a patriot by going to Taco Bell everyday for lunch and burning down a blunt on the way.

EVERYDAY, I’m surprised our stomachs survived.
One of my favorite activities was going into the woods by school to share an L with my friends 😂 we used to be able to leave for lunch so we always went out damn those were some good days.

One of my favorite activities was going into the woods by school to share an L with my friends 😂 we used to be able to leave for lunch so we always went out damn those were some good days.
Once we were juniors we were allowed to leave too. Rarely did we ever just get food and come back. :lol:

I remember when we were first allowed to leave school for lunch in middle school. Was the coolest thing at the time. Letting a bunch of 12-13yr olds leave was not a good idea tho lol.

I work p/t management in health. We moved office a few years ago to the middle of the city and all we have now is an expensive coffee shop. Before that we had a subsidised canteen - run by the people who do hospital and prison food - but this one was really good. It was basically one chef and he made everything fresh from scratch. The prices were ridiculous too - you’d get a great meal and get to the checkout and they’d be like “that’ll be 1.94”.

I miss that place. Used to love when meetings were planned near lunchtime so I could go.

Some recent eats
wiskey glazed salmon and queso fundido from the Yardhouse
DC6BB69C-41D3-4B67-A09F-DC6790333BCE.jpeg
FDED8B50-7CEB-450A-AA46-68660A90B2A2.jpeg

lunch from Urth Cafe
272CE706-D634-4B04-AD5F-13E090D779A6.jpeg

oyster mushroom sandwich with waffle fries from Smoke and Fire
0D6E2A95-05C3-4333-B2EA-4173193D37E7.jpeg
Also bought a cookie baking book the other day. Tried making the Neapolitan cookies for my first recipe. They came out better than expected.
7434C866-1B2A-4C2A-8AAA-3085EAFE7BF4.jpeg

D1B7C277-82EC-4BE2-9C4F-E0E095D43AA2.jpeg

EF039EE6-D4F0-479F-B5F5-CFB292BFBA95.jpeg

Recipe in case anyone cares to make
8790DC4C-0FF1-4346-A6FA-56799DBE646E.jpeg

Last edited:
Redeeming myself with this post after my crap cakes post about a week ago. Dessert from Lulu's. Had their Pistachio mousse/cookies & cream pastry & baby cheesecake. This is on Union Tpke, Queens NY.

Been wanting to try this halal Mexican spot & finally got to last night. It's called Moho Mexican & is located on Bell Blvd, Queens NY. Neat establishment they converted a Sushi spot to a Mexican eatery. I had the Birria pie & chips and guac.

The Birria pie was pretty good. The texture of the birria beef is very similar to a Pakistani beef dish called Nihari. The pie came with cheese, Cilantro, onion & salsa. I liked the birria but much rather instead have ground beef as the protein but on my way out I asked if they do build your own birria pies but they said no. Makes sense, they want to keep the birria in birria so no substituting the meat.

The guac was just ok. I'll be back for some burritos & quesadillas in the near future though. Brother & his wife got some rice bowls which were great.

20230117_181056.jpg
20230117_181206.jpg
20230117_181209.jpg
20230117_205812.jpg
20230117_184738.jpg
20230117_190307.jpg
20230117_191210.jpg
IMG-20230117-WA0010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom