FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Made Butter Chicken…

IMG_3848.jpeg
IMG_3849.jpeg

Homemade sauce or sauce from a jar?

2 parts of the recipe:

Traditionally, you would want to make tandoori chicken or tandoori marinade. I got the spices from the Desi Supermarket.
You need to marinate the chicken first for at least 30 mins or overnight. I did mine for 3 hours.

Cut boneless chicken thighs into cubes then mix with:

1 tsp Lemon Juice
½ cup low-fat Desi yogurt
2-3 tsp Ginger & Garlic paste
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Garam masala
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp turmeric
Crushed black pepper
1 tbsp oil

In a pan - medium heat, add oil, then fry the marinated chicken pieces until charred or brown; once done, place it aside.

Base recipe:
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
1 tomato paste
3 large tomatoes diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp honey
1 cinnamon
2 green chilies (deseed & cut)
1/2 tbsp kasuri methi crushed
1 tsp salt
4 cloves
3 green cardamoms

In the same pan as the chicken, add 2 tbsp butter, sauté onions and chilies until golden.

Add tomato paste and sauté until a brown-red color. Then add tomatoes and sauté (5-7 mins). Another option is to put it in a blender until it's puree. You want it smooth.

Add cinnamon, cloves, and cardamoms. Turn off the heat and stir in the chili powder, garam masala, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Add salt to flavor. Sauté. Add 1/2 cup of water. Stir/Simmer until smooth. Add cream and honey (some people add sugar).

Taste - add butter and salt as needed.

Add kasuri methi. Stir until thick. (Add water as needed for quantity).

Garnish with Cilantro and Yogurt. I use sour cream instead of yogurt for garnishment.

IMG_5726.jpeg

IMG_5727.jpeg

@xxpizzo you weren’t lying. this was the best cheesesteak i ever had. the bread and coopersharp cheese was amazing.

i wouldn’t come again though because it was a 50 min wait and i came right when they opened :stoneface:

1. Angelos
2a.Jims on South st (but are remodeling since the fire) should open back up early 2024 hopefully
2b. Johns Roast Pork (cheese steaks and breakfast sandwiches are UNREAL)
3. Dalessandro's

top 3 are in South Philly and last one is in Northeast Philly alil further than the others

These are all excellent options. People say D'Alessandro fell off but I've never had an issue. I'd actually swap Johns to 1 and Angelo's to 2 because I feel the steak has more flavor at John's. Angelos bread is elite but their steak isn't as seasoned.

Wild card option is Cafe Carmela. It's out in the suburbs but the cheesesteak I had was very good and you can order ahead online.
I've had Dalessandro's and Johns Roast Pork

plan on going to philly this weekend and I want to go to Angelo's

can you call ahead to order to reduce your wait time??

I'll have to try John's Roast Pork again because people are saying it's seasoned

when I had it the only negative was it lacked seasoning...it tasted like it had no seasoning

my wife agreed

I just always find myself wanting to go back to Jims :lol:

Would like to try Angelos at some point though.

I've had Dalessandro's and Johns Roast Pork

plan on going to philly this weekend and I want to go to Angelo's

can you call ahead to order to reduce your wait time??

I'll have to try John's Roast Pork again because people are saying it's seasoned

when I had it the only negative was it lacked seasoning...it tasted like it had no seasoning

my wife agreed

you can call ahead but after a certain point, I think they just dont answer their phones cause it gets so busy.. expect an hour wait.

their ordering system is very outdated.

you have to wait in line, order, then wait outside by the door until they call your name.

I had to wait outside for an hour for 1 sandwich. also, theyre cash only.

make sure you get the cheesesteak with cooper sharp cheese. thats what theyre known for.

its the best cheesesteak i ever had, but i'll probably never go back until they modernize their ordering system.

Maybe some people don’t have a need for more bread in the house and enjoy a few PB&J’s a week

Plenty of reasons to have these on deck that don’t equate to someone being lazy

Yea that line of reasoning doesn't make sense.

"Let me not keep bread in the house but I will have these highly processed pocket sandwiches on deck."

Line of reasoning doesn't make an ounce of sense.

Find whatever word you want to use but it's lazy.

2 ingredients doesnt necessarily mean its quick and easy to make. Personally, I like peanut butter on both slices.

Yea that line of reasoning doesn't make sense.

"Let me not keep bread in the house but I will have these highly processed pocket sandwiches on deck."

Line of reasoning doesn't make an ounce of sense.

Find whatever word you want to use but it's lazy.
I guess agree to disagree

If you’re so concerned with the “processed food” angle: A whole pack of processed bread <<< a box of 4 sandwiches with barely even a full slice of processed bread in total bread for each sandwich I’d say.

Back
Top Bottom