FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Been wanting to hit this place but then I saw the head chef…

How was it? And I come in peace in my dc voice, but do you have an expansive Jamaican palette?

Edit- I see they’ve added a new/nother executive chef.
No, I don’t lol.

I thought it was pretty good though. New Trinidadian chef was the reason I chose to go after doing my researches.

Pumpking Crème Cold Brew with Blonde expresso

1662735175352.gif

No, I don’t lol.

I thought it was pretty good though. New Trinidadian chef was the reason I chose to go after doing my researches.

Quite the addition

Don't mind a diff culture's take on another culture's food

As long as they've done their due diligence

Better than another boring iteration of "new american"

Anyone watch the Chef's Table: Pizza documentaries on Netflix?

Definitely some interesting takes on Pizza, I need to get up to MPLS

Quite the addition

Don't mind a diff culture's take on another culture's food

As long as they've done their due diligence

Better than another boring iteration of "new american"
Yep. Completely agree.

For that place, the food was probably already good. That particular chef becoming available all of the sudden I’d imagine was a no brainer hire for them.

Obviously biased, but i'd still try it, a good chef is a good chef. I've been to places in the Caribbean and when the chef came out to meet us he was a white American.

Will be in a hoodie, glasses and a mask though.

I used to be like that, think the food has to be cooked by someone from that country or culture. Ive learned over time that doesnt always mean its going to be good. Not everyone can cook.

Also realize the reason I stopped even checking for Caribbean food in the DC area is because it's not great overall. Not even some Jamaicans had a understanding of Jamaican food.
I went for lunch a while back with coworkers. We hit up a Jamaican spot. My supervisor whos from Kingston wasnt impressed at all. Kept saying how **** the chicken was :lol:

I told her she gotta hit up the "Polish jerk spot"

Yeah, certain restaurants that we don't need but there's not exactly an abundance of good Caribbean restaurants unfortunately

The most impressive chefs to me are the ones with a wide knowledge of food and history and can prepare something "authentic" or otherwise with any ingredients you put in front of them

When I use to live in the Bronx I hardly had Jamaican food from a store/restaurant beside the every now and then beef patty or the jerk man on weekends. I think it’s because grew up on it. When we moved out west I started looking but found a bunch of fusion places, now I don’t even seek out Jamaican food.

Yeah, certain restaurants that we don't need but there's not exactly an abundance of good Caribbean restaurants unfortunately

The most impressive chefs to me are the ones with a wide knowledge of food and history and can prepare something "authentic" or otherwise with any ingredients you put in front of them
What would make it authentic? The ingredients and how it’s prepared? Back on my clubhouse days I was in a room and people were arguing what makes something authentic. Some said it had to be made in that country, some said you have to use the exact ingredients and steps. One person said it’s impossible to have authentic jerk because you need the wood that’s illegal to import from Jamaica to the US to make the jerk authentic.

I think it would be cool to do a Twitter space with folks in here and talk food.

What would make it authentic? The ingredients and how it’s prepared? Back on my clubhouse days I was in a room and people were arguing what makes something authentic. Some said it had to be made in that country, some said you have to use the exact ingredients and steps. One person said it’s impossible to have authentic jerk because you need the wood that’s illegal to import from Jamaica to the US to make the jerk authentic.

Yeah, why I quoted the word because everyone seems to have their own version of what that is

I think of it mainly as how people are cooking at home for themselves and people of their own culture

Presumably recipes/methods that have been passed on from prior generations

that show be so fixed. you know these judges know when they eating Bobby's dish...he puts calabrian chilis on EVERYTHING. it's his signature :lol:
So fixed. LOL. The judges always seem to cook the same kind of cuisine as the “signature” dish of the challenger, so it must all be figured out before-hand. Or mostly figured out.

Back
Top Bottom