Fools Wildin Thinking They Doing It Unappreciation Vol Get The @#*+ out

:lol: just messing with u bruh.

nah but forreal I just wanted to correct the misconception. if you try hard enough you can find the "racism" in just about anything nowadays.

laugh.gif
just messing with u bruh.

nah but forreal I just wanted to correct the misconception. if you try hard enough you can find the "racism" in just about anything nowadays.
Are you asian or have spent a lot of time over there.

You seem to know your stuff

I wouldnt mind taking a trip to china one of these days

Are you asian or have spent a lot of time over there.

You seem to know your stuff

I wouldnt mind taking a trip to china one of these days

I am Asian but no not Chinese or Japanese. I'm Pakistani.

ionno I guess I just have an interest for asian cultures. I too want to tour Asia, so I guess I've subconsciously picked up some knowledge from just having an interest.

have a lot of asian friends as well, a few who are new to the country. learned a couple things picking their brains.

Last edited:
Looking like he has his grandmas earrings on,top it off with the pink foams

840439576.gif

Last edited:

Nah broski, the racism is real in that commercial; it's nuanced, but it's there.

Don't get me wrong though, I laughed due to the sheer ridiculousness of it all.

The premise:

make the new black girl feel comfortable and loved by taking her out for a bowl of chicken.

:lol:

I highly doubt that the Chinese even know about that stereotype.

KFC does but again I felt she was seen as a Laowai or a gweilo instead of "BLACK GIRL'.

But okay.
This.  There was similar outrage in the states over an Australian KFC commercial that depicted black people eating fried chicken.  The Young Turks did a story on it and it was met with a ton of backlash from Australians noting that the black people loving fried chicken stereotype doesn't really exist in Australia.  That wasn't an ad made for American consumption and I don't think we should be treating it as if it was.

Perfectly reasonable points by both of you.

However, you're disregarding the complexity of it--I feel. Remember, this is the KFC company advertising to some Asia based market, and not some Asia based company advertising to some some Asia based market.

Now consider, if you will, the fact that KFC is U.S based global brand/corporation.

Having its roots in the U.S, KFC is aware (I would hope) of those various stereotypes that would likely be deemed as being highly offensive to certain cultural populations in the U.S. As such, we can assume that the p.r and marketing department of KFC would never sign-off on an ad that targeted, say, African Americans and/or blacks in a stereotypical and/or racialized manner. We would hope.

The point is, KFC wouldn't dare promote potentially racist content in the U.S. Why? Because doing so would be bad for their bottom line--but given them the benefit of the doubt, let's assume that they wouldn't do so because they're a company with a sound and functional moral compass; that is, they're a company whose primary concern is to do right by their customers. Again, we would hope.

Now if their (KFC) corporate policy is to do right and be respectful of their customers in the U.S, what's preventing them from applying and promoting that very same policy of respect and sensitivity in their global portfolio?

Or are decorum, sensitivity, and respect simply variables with levels of application being contingent on the cultural make-up of the target market?

If a black/asian/hispanic/white/indian, etc, person isn't around to hear you say something racist against them, is the racism automatically void in what you said?

However, you're disregarding the complexity of it--I feel. Remember, this is the KFC company advertising to some Asia based market, and not some Asia based company advertising to some some Asia based market.

Now consider, if you will, the fact that KFC is U.S based global brand/corporation.

Having its roots in the U.S, KFC is aware (I would hope) of those various stereotypes that would likely be deemed as being highly offensive to certain cultural populations in the U.S. As such, we can assume that the p.r and marketing department of KFC would never sign-off on an ad that targeted, say, African Americans and/or blacks in a stereotypical and/or racialized manner. We would hope.

The point is, KFC wouldn't dare promote potentially racist content in the U.S. Why? Because doing so would be bad for their bottom line--but given them the benefit of the doubt, let's assume that they wouldn't do so because they're a company with a sound and functional moral compass; that is, they're a company whose primary concern is to do right by their customers. Again, we would hope.

Now if their (KFC) corporate policy is to do right and be respectful of their customers in the U.S, what's preventing them from applying and promoting that very same policy of respect and sensitivity in their global portfolio?

Or are decorum, sensitivity, and respect simply variables with levels of application being contingent on the cultural make-up of the target market?

If a black/asian/hispanic/white/indian, etc, person isn't around to hear you say something racist against them, is the racism automatically void in what you said?

but why again do we HAVE to associate the black girl enjoying chicken with a stereotype prevalent only in the US.

and honestly, if they wanted to have an overtly stereotype-laden marketing campaign, like a McDonalds, wouldn't they just do it, like McDonalds?

Again I feel like really looking at the commercial, she's being depicted as a foreigner, that's the focus. Her blackness isn't the focus here.

I hear what you're saying, I just don't agree. There's such thing as over-sensitivity, this hyper-PC attitude we're developing as a nation isn't really doing anyone any favors.

I'm telling ya'll the Chinese don't know about that stereotype.

She's being viewed as a laowai or a gweilo, not unlike the Japanese term gaijin.

A foreigner, an outsider.

Most chinese don't develop stereotypes toward blacks until they immigrate to the US. They set up shop out here and often in black neighborhoods. And they develop a distorted view of black people because of young black youth who often do terrorize their own communities.

Ya'll taking this completely out of context. No BS, I'd call racism if it was that. The chinese aren't over there thinking about black people in that context, that's just stupid if you really think about it.

And if you actually watch the commercial a second time and see how she's having trouble adjusting, they're even attempting to portray her as a laowai. Not "black girl".

Trouble comprehending the language, the food, the customs.

Not OMG, there goes that black person.....*whisper whisper*....They're not giving her glares they're empathizing with her inability to adjust to her new environment. C'mon ya'll.

Fine, the Chinese don't know about that stereotype (doubt it, but w/e). This is, however, a KFC commercial. KFC: KENTUCKY Fried Chicken.

This is a US based company that is very aware of the stereotype. They likely wouldn't dare air it stateside, so what makes it ok to air it in a foreign market?

She's having trouble adjusting, so they couldn't "help" her in that regard when she was sitting by herself at lunch having a hard time with the bowl of noodles? What about when she was in the library sitting by herself? Those were two ample opportunities for relevant and sincere cultural bonding.

Buttt noooooo, let's help her adjust by taking her out for a bowl of finger lickin' chicken 'cause that's a sure fire way to help the black girl adjust...:lol:

Like I said in that first post, I laughed at the commercial because of how ridiculous it is--which is to say I aint mad about it, but let's not act blind here.

Let's make a commercial about a group of black/white/hispanic girls taking a new-in-school asian girl, from Asia, to panda express in an attempt to help her adjust and tell me that aint racist...:lol:

but why again do we HAVE to associate the black girl enjoying chicken with a stereotype prevalent only in the US.

and honestly, if they wanted to have an overtly stereotype-laden marketing campaign, like a McDonalds, wouldn't they just do it, like McDonalds?

Again I feel like really looking at the commercial, she's being depicted as a foreigner, that's the focus. Her blackness isn't the focus here.

I hear what you're saying, I just don't agree. There's such thing as over-sensitivity, this hyper-PC attitude we're developing as a nation isn't really doing anyone any favors.

Again, KFC is a U.S based company. I repeat, a U.S based company--one that is fully aware of material that straddles the line between offensive and questionable.

What do you mean her blackness isn't the focus here. Her blackness and her foreign-ness are one in the same. In fact, it is her blackness that establishes her as "other" because you see her blackness first, which leads you to conclude that she is foreign. You're being entirely too facile right now.

And like I said in my previous post. This is a KFC commercial. Do you think they'd run something like this in America?

"Let's make a commercial about a group of black/white/hispanic girls taking a new-in-school asian girl, from Asia, to panda express in an attempt to help her adjust and tell me that aint racist...laugh.gif"

Last edited:
And like I said in my previous post. This is a KFC commercial. Do you think they'd run something like this in America?

No they wouldn't ... the cultural and historical differences would give a different meaning to the same commercial...

Same way the rice commercials in china wouldn't run here in america.

What do you mean her blackness isn't the focus here. Her blackness and her foreign-ness are one in the same. In fact, it is her blackness that establishes her as "other" because you see her blackness first, which leads you to conclude that she is foreign. You're being entirely too facile right now.

"Let's make a commercial about a group of black/white/hispanic girls taking a new-in-school asian girl, from Asia, to panda express in an attempt to help her adjust and tell me that aint racist...laugh.gif"

her blackness establishes her as "other"? really?

because her obvious difficulty with Chinese customs aren't the real indicating factors right?

nah....

but yet I'm the facile one here, I'm the one ignoring the details.

bro you can see whatever you want to see. I see a foreigner having trouble adjust to a new environment.

ionno seems like you're the one ignoring the details.

her blackness establishes her as "other"? really?

because her obvious difficulty with Chinese customs aren't the real indicating factors right?

nah....

but yet I'm the facile one here, I'm the one ignoring the details.

bro you can see whatever you want to see. I see a foreigner having trouble adjust to a new environment.

ionno seems like you're the one ignoring the details.

How do we know she is having "obvious difficulty with Chinese customs"? Because she's a foreigner.

How do we know she's a foreigner? ...

i'll wait...:lol:

Yall are not doing this right now. Cmon son. It's not that serious and if you think it is then take it to PMs and keep it out of here. Please.

Son, why are you soo rustled right now?

Me and dude and having a discussion/conversation pertaining to something that was posted in THIS thread. Chill out.

You can easily ignore us and/or bypass our post; it aint that serious...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom