• Top 10, Maybe Top 15

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Mediocre at Best

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Not Good at All

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
The Paltry Amount That 20th Century Fox Paid For The X-men Film Rights

According to a transcript from the Industry Focus podcast last year on The Motley Fool , a reading of the court legal filing for the 1993 deal revealed that Fox acquired the X-men live action and animated rights from Marvel for a mere $2.6 million.

Now, they also note that Marvel still got a percentage of the box office from that initial deal, but as best they could calculate it amounted to only around 2% of worldwide ticket sales on the first X-men film, amounting to roughly $6m in backend compensation.

They don't know if that backend compensation has improved at all over the years, but if it hasn't then Marvel/Disney only earned around $15m off of Fox's Deadpool and the $783m it grossed worldwide, while Fox profited around 124 times their initial investment in the mutant rights for that film alone.

**** no wonder they won't give it up they never gonna gdt a deal like that ever again

Gotta give them props based on hindsight :lol:

But I bet at the time they thought they grossly overpaid.

I mean look at CBM at that time all you had was Batman and Superman all coming out decades apart from eac other.

Still though i get it, i get a deal like that i see why they only see a come up with the films they make

2.6 is highway robbery.

A marvel netflix budget is at least 50 mil

Fox slayed in that deal.

Last edited:
that price includes the animated series' so they probably more than made their money back off of that alone

that price includes the animated series' so they probably more than made their money back off of that alone
Yeah, forgot Marvel owns merchandising.

I wonder if they did the math would Marvel's profit match or exceed Fox's come up.

I can see it but he's also Thanos...

here comes the Fox coming to MCU claims...

Last edited:
Damn. He flourishing. He played jonah hex but needs to be a new dc character now too.

Back
Top Bottom