Gas Price Hike

Less supply and a hell of a lot more of a demand for it now. China alone has increased demand by a lot. You also have to take into account how useless the U.S. dollar is now compared to 16 years ago.

+Middle-East turmoil
+Ukraine
+Various world conflicts
+Economic fluctuations

When I started driving in 99 it was 99 cents a gallon. Cost me 13-14 bucks to fill up! It was a small 4 cylinder so it would last for weeks too.

I drive a V8 today and it costs me about 50 a week. I don't drive far for work or it would really be a burden.

Less supply and a hell of a lot more of a demand for it now. China alone has increased demand by a lot. You also have to take into account how useless the U.S. dollar is now compared to 16 years ago.

+Middle-East turmoil
+Ukraine
+Various world conflicts
+Economic fluctuations
this is bs imo
i notice EVERY YEAR WITHOUT FAIL
gas prices decrease during the holidays
from around oct till around march and april
then from tax season on prices are raised until then

this is bs imo
spot on. prices go down election season too. yep i see price decreases in winter because less people are driving. summer- high prices because of travel. 

It doesnt help has company i think BP bought that water4gas invention and paid google to ban the advertisements of it

It may sound silly but it works. I added it to a old car i had... some people still sell it

Also a person can convert their car to propane

Is anyone else hurting from the ridiculous price of gas these days? I was at my local gas station and looked across the street at 76 and unleaded was 4.26 :x WTH! I've never seen it that high before in my life. Premium was 4.56! I think they will only continue to rise since a refinery is having problems. :frown:

http://www.mercurynews.com/traffic/...blems-send-california-gas-prices-skyrocketing

I guess you weren't driving in the so cal area in 2008 around the start of summer gas was $5.00 + I know gas is seasonal and the prices go up because everyone will be traveling during the summer but these prices are pretty ridiculous

this is bs imo

+Companies profiteering based on consumer habits and trends.

I believe it.

+Companies profiteering based on consumer habits and trends.

I believe it.

its true people travel less in the winter by car, but once the weather nice prices get pumped up. Anyone else use Ralph's or Vons/Pavillions gas rewards. For every $100 you spend at either supermarket they take 10 cents off per gallon

this is bs imo
Gas prices actually will rise here in Southern California during that time for a short period. They feed us that crock that they are changing to the winter grade. First of all we don't have winter in Southern California so they can miss us with that bs. Unlike other parts of the country that actually get 4 seasons our grade of gas doesn't need to change. I'm think we finally hit $6 this summer in Los Angeles.

Last edited:
this is bs imo
Gas prices actually will rise here in Southern California during that time for a short period. They feed us that crock that they are changing to the winter grade. First of all we don't have winter in Southern California so they can miss us with that bs. Unlike other parts of the country that actually get 4 seasons our grade of gas doesn't need to change. I'm think we finally hit $6 this summer in Los Angeles.
Last fall I drove down there from the bay and gas was cheaper down there than up here

2 days ago I drove by my local gas and shop and the price was 3.99. Yesterday it was 4.02. Today it's 4.24!!!!! What the heck is going on! And this is 87!! It will probably hit 4.50 by the end of the month.

Edit: NVM $4.50 has already been hit by shell for 87 :x :x

The struggle

Last edited:
It's crazy how my opinions of public transit have changed. When I was yiubfer I was dying to drive and wouldn't take it for anything, but now? I'm glad that I have the option. I take a Van pool to work and spend less than a third of what I was spending on gas. If I just went to the van drop off and back every day I could make my full tank last more than a month.

The government has to o much money invested in alternative energy. Gas prices will continue to rise until every American is driving a Chevy Volt, Prius, Leaf, or Tesla.

The government has to o much money invested in alternative energy. Gas prices will continue to rise until every American is driving a Chevy Volt, Prius, Leaf, or Tesla.

The thing is fully electric cars are so impractical. What if I am on a road trip, I don't want to stop and charge my car every couple hundred miles. It is great for driving in the city I'm sure where you aren't going far, but for the average person hell no.

The thing is fully electric cars are so impractical. What if I am on a road trip, I don't want to stop and charge my car every couple hundred miles. It is great for driving in the city I'm sure where you aren't going far, but for the average person hell no.

I don't understand how fully electric cars are impractical based on that logic. :lol:

You'd also have to stop and put gas in a traditional vehicle every couple hundred miles as well, depending on how large the tank is and the gas mileage the vehicle averages.

Tesla vehicles can travel 300mi a charge, and the supercharger stations enable long distance roadtrips. The only downside is that it can take up to an hour for the battery to charge, but that is a small price to pay in exchange for the money saved from gas.

It adds up but IMO higher gas prices = I offset it with saving in other areas. Youre fluctuating saving a few dollars at most, just buy one less thing. Everything helps, but hey you gotta adapt.

I don't understand how fully electric cars are impractical based on that logic. :lol:

You'd also have to stop and put gas in a traditional vehicle every couple hundred miles as well, depending on how large the tank is and the gas mileage the vehicle averages.

Tesla vehicles can travel 300mi a charge, and the supercharger stations enable long distance roadtrips. The only downside is that it can take up to an hour for the battery to charge, but that is a small price to pay in exchange for the money saved from gas.

I don't want to stop an hour, I want to fill up my tank in less than 5 min and be on my way.

I don't want to stop an hour, I want to fill up my tank in less than 5 min and be on my way.

So because your impatience won't allow you to wait an extra 55 minutes, electric cars are completely impractical?

I'm sure some people would rather spend the $1000s of dollars a year for the convience of shaving a couple hours off those hand full of times where they'll be traveling 300 miles or more a year by car, but you aren't completely writing off a technology (that is constantly improving, btw) over that, right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom