Gay Rights slams Kobe-- "what a disgrace" Kobe gets fined 100k

this isn't a simple case of name-calling.

the minute you use the slur that kobe used, you automatically imply that you're superior to the group who is associated with that slur (in this case, the gay community). and while kobe may not have anything specifically against gay people and was caught in a moment of anger, it's still an indictment of our culture/society that such language clearly is common and even acceptable. the fact that he used it tells me that he probably hears it alot, and maybe even grew up using it. as people continue to use it, the stigma of the gay community as inferior is perpetuated. it's a cycle. one that might continue indefinitely if gay rights groups didn't bring it into the national spotlight.

the minute you use the slur that kobe used, you automatically imply that you're superior to the group who is associated with that slur (in this case, the gay community). and while kobe may not have anything specifically against gay people and was caught in a moment of anger, it's still an indictment of our culture/society that such language clearly is common and even acceptable. the fact that he used it tells me that he probably hears it alot, and maybe even grew up using it. as people continue to use it, the stigma of the gay community as inferior is perpetuated. it's a cycle. one that might continue indefinitely if gay rights groups didn't bring it into the national spotlight.

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

--If the Gay Rights community had their way, Kobe should be banned from playing basketball. Forever.
seriously, who is asking for this?  i'm not.
nerd.gif

so once you say it, you're branded for life?

so once you say it, you're branded for life?

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

--If the Gay Rights community had their way, Kobe should be banned from playing basketball. Forever.
nerd.gif

not gonna lie... i don't understand what this emoticon means....

help me out.

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

nerd.gif

not gonna lie... i don't understand what this emoticon means....

help me out.

I honestly think that it's being blown out of proportion just cause its Kobe, he said the word out anger and frustration, and if it was some other no name player i am sure nothing would come of it. I don't think Kobe is a homophobe, he as been in LA for the last 14 years c'mon, its like the N word everyone says its very offensive yet every one still uses it. But at the same time I do agree the Kobe needs to have more composure, he let it get to him

I honestly think that it's being blown out of proportion just cause its Kobe, he said the word out anger and frustration, and if it was some other no name player i am sure nothing would come of it. I don't think Kobe is a homophobe, he as been in LA for the last 14 years c'mon, its like the N word everyone says its very offensive yet every one still uses it. But at the same time I do agree the Kobe needs to have more composure, he let it get to him

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]
Too damn old/experienced for that. I know people get heated in the moment but you HAVE to show compsure. You HAVE to.
[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nobody is perfect, thats what makes us human. Nobody is succesptible to mistakes, therefore we should not judge him.
[/font]

LOL Why does having an opinion always have to be called "judging" someone. As if he are assuming the responsibility of his damnation. So are we NOT supposed to talk about it at all or something? The "he is human" reply is tired. It is tired. So is the "Nobody perfect" card. So what if nobody is perfect, why does that mean I am not allowed to say HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

Kobe is a 14 year vet. He has had cameras in his face since he was a kid. HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER. There is no excuse for this. He should know better.

[/font]
Too damn old/experienced for that. I know people get heated in the moment but you HAVE to show compsure. You HAVE to.
[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nobody is perfect, thats what makes us human. Nobody is succesptible to mistakes, therefore we should not judge him.
[/font]

LOL Why does having an opinion always have to be called "judging" someone. As if he are assuming the responsibility of his damnation. So are we NOT supposed to talk about it at all or something? The "he is human" reply is tired. It is tired. So is the "Nobody perfect" card. So what if nobody is perfect, why does that mean I am not allowed to say HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

Kobe is a 14 year vet. He has had cameras in his face since he was a kid. HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER. There is no excuse for this. He should know better.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Stop saying it's a freedom of speech issue. No one is saying that Kobe doesn't have the right to say it.

For those of you saying it's okay to attack gays for their sexual orientation because they chose (
eyes.gif
) to be gay, can I please please please attack you because of your religion? Pretty please? After all, you weren't born with your religion...(I already know that you're religious, how cool is that?
grin.gif
)

Kobe chose the word to signify how sensitive the referee was.. He knew what he was saying.  He used it as a slur.
As Usual your bringing religion into this when its barely been mentioned in this thread at all. When will you ever shut the ++#$ up about it?

Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild

so what? he apologised on television, he apologised to the HRC, paid 100.000 dollars and obviously regrets it. now people just need to get over it.

they hated on KG and now kobe for being so emotional, yet they don't praise Tim Duncan for being calm and barely showing any emotions at all.. let's all stop whining and get ready for the play offs...

What does "get over it" mean? Again, should we not talk about it? I am not understanding.

And get ready for the playoffs? As if while getting ready for the playoffs all other activity should be halted? I am getting ready for the platyoffs WHILE discussing this issue. See........

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Stop saying it's a freedom of speech issue. No one is saying that Kobe doesn't have the right to say it.

For those of you saying it's okay to attack gays for their sexual orientation because they chose (
eyes.gif
) to be gay, can I please please please attack you because of your religion? Pretty please? After all, you weren't born with your religion...(I already know that you're religious, how cool is that?
grin.gif
)

Kobe chose the word to signify how sensitive the referee was.. He knew what he was saying.  He used it as a slur.
As Usual your bringing religion into this when its barely been mentioned in this thread at all. When will you ever shut the ++#$ up about it?

Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild

so what? he apologised on television, he apologised to the HRC, paid 100.000 dollars and obviously regrets it. now people just need to get over it.

they hated on KG and now kobe for being so emotional, yet they don't praise Tim Duncan for being calm and barely showing any emotions at all.. let's all stop whining and get ready for the play offs...

What does "get over it" mean? Again, should we not talk about it? I am not understanding.

And get ready for the playoffs? As if while getting ready for the playoffs all other activity should be halted? I am getting ready for the platyoffs WHILE discussing this issue. See........

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

yea. he SHOULD know better...but he's human...therefore there is an excuse for this.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

yea. he SHOULD know better...but he's human...therefore there is an excuse for this.

Originally Posted by blazinRook

Not to use an extreme situation, but is killing someone an action that can be written off as "being human." So is that the excuse for that situation as well? I never got this "he is human" card that folks use. Of course he is human but that does not excuse his behavior IMO.

Come on, go head and use the, "You must be holier than thou" card.

Originally Posted by blazinRook

Not to use an extreme situation, but is killing someone an action that can be written off as "being human." So is that the excuse for that situation as well? I never got this "he is human" card that folks use. Of course he is human but that does not excuse his behavior IMO.

Come on, go head and use the, "You must be holier than thou" card.

Back
Top Bottom