Gay Rights slams Kobe-- "what a disgrace" Kobe gets fined 100k

Method Man wrote:
Apparently Kevin Garnett can get camera time to every opening of every game, drilling his forehead into a mat saying MOTHER F THIS MOTHER F THAT MOTHER F YOU and its ok. Kobe says 2 words to the dude next to him that in my eyes do no more harm than what KG said and gets fined 100k. 
Seriously its just the group that its referenced to are too sensitive. There's a reason homosexuals friends are majority girls. Sensitivity...

No more harm?  Who are you to judge whether or not it's harmed someone?  Clearly it has or there wouldn't be any controversy here.  You're just choosing not to accept it as valid, which is a little like a White guy deciding that racist stereotype in Disney films was just good clean fun and that the rest of us are a bunch of PC pansies for ever objecting to it.  

Of course, I suppose I shouldn't expect you to appreciate the distinction if you're busy stereotyping gay men.  Kobe's competed against gay players in the NBA.  There are gay men risking their lives in the armed forces at this very moment.  To call gay men as a whole weak and "oversensitive" is, itself, kind of bigoted.  

I certainly don't blame the LGBT community for being upset about this.  It shouldn't be accepted in our society just as racial slurs should never have been tolerated in our society.  I wouldn't call civil rights activists "too sensitive."  

Obviously there are more important LGBT rights issues to be concerned about than a stupid comment shouted by a frustrated basketball player, but, even so, the action itself is a hell of a lot harder to defend than Kobe Bryant himself.  It's no surprise, then, that you guys are flopping around like Vlade Divac in the attempt. 

The point is swearing/slurs are seen as disrespectful. If KG can do that on camera and its fine but Kobe cant say what he said it means Kobe can be as disrespectful as he wants as long as it doesn't refer to gay people.
I dont get why people cant get the concept of intent. I use that word all time jokingly with my friends, not one of them are gay. Nor am i using it to say they are gay. Its the same as shut up B****. Shoot, i have a few questionable friends too that ive said it to. Like shut up ******, then laughter follows.

People are just too serious these days thats all im saying. Everyone needs to lighten up. I had to do a paper on the power of words and it really made me realize how dumb cursing or slurs are. Like its just a friggin word calm down. Who even made these words up to mean this. 

People are too serious

Edit: I was just thinking. If you look at most curses  they have been all transformed from the original meaning. It can be said the same for this. Just because you say it doesnt mean you have to take it literal given the context. I would understand if I say there and made fun of you for doing gay things and degraded you because of it. But thats not the case. Until then its just a word that can mean anything. I know you're not gonna agree with me on this but can you at least see what im getting at?

With the actual issue of the word and how bad his actions were aside, if you put the fine in perspective, its quite light.

If the ref caught what Kobe said he could've given him another tech which would of put him at 16 and forced him to serve a suspension, aside from him being thrown out.

One game salary for Kobe is a bit over 300k, no? Aside from the fact that his performance was valuable to the team on Wednesday against the Kings.

With the actual issue of the word and how bad his actions were aside, if you put the fine in perspective, its quite light.

If the ref caught what Kobe said he could've given him another tech which would of put him at 16 and forced him to serve a suspension, aside from him being thrown out.

One game salary for Kobe is a bit over 300k, no? Aside from the fact that his performance was valuable to the team on Wednesday against the Kings.

Originally Posted by Jay02

Method Man wrote:
Apparently Kevin Garnett can get camera time to every opening of every game, drilling his forehead into a mat saying MOTHER F THIS MOTHER F THAT MOTHER F YOU and its ok. Kobe says 2 words to the dude next to him that in my eyes do no more harm than what KG said and gets fined 100k. 
Seriously its just the group that its referenced to are too sensitive. There's a reason homosexuals friends are majority girls. Sensitivity...

No more harm?  Who are you to judge whether or not it's harmed someone?  Clearly it has or there wouldn't be any controversy here.  You're just choosing not to accept it as valid, which is a little like a White guy deciding that racist stereotype in Disney films was just good clean fun and that the rest of us are a bunch of PC pansies for ever objecting to it.  

Of course, I suppose I shouldn't expect you to appreciate the distinction if you're busy stereotyping gay men.  Kobe's competed against gay players in the NBA.  There are gay men risking their lives in the armed forces at this very moment.  To call gay men as a whole weak and "oversensitive" is, itself, kind of bigoted.  

I certainly don't blame the LGBT community for being upset about this.  It shouldn't be accepted in our society just as racial slurs should never have been tolerated in our society.  I wouldn't call civil rights activists "too sensitive."  

Obviously there are more important LGBT rights issues to be concerned about than a stupid comment shouted by a frustrated basketball player, but, even so, the action itself is a hell of a lot harder to defend than Kobe Bryant himself.  It's no surprise, then, that you guys are flopping around like Vlade Divac in the attempt. 

The point is swearing/slurs are seen as disrespectful. If KG can do that on camera and its fine but Kobe cant say what he said it means Kobe can be as disrespectful as he wants as long as it doesn't refer to gay people.
I dont get why people cant get the concept of intent. I use that word all time jokingly with my friends, not one of them are gay. Nor am i using it to say they are gay. Its the same as shut up B****. Shoot, i have a few questionable friends too that ive said it to. Like shut up ******, then laughter follows.

People are just too serious these days thats all im saying. Everyone needs to lighten up. I had to do a paper on the power of words and it really made me realize how dumb cursing or slurs are. Like its just a friggin word calm down. Who even made these words up to mean this. 

People are too serious

All of this, especially the enlarged part.

Pause
grin.gif

No really though I don't get it either. Everyone whines and moans about equality and being treated the same as everyone else, but there's key words that for some reason can NEVER EVER BE SPOKEN. I'm black, if you walked up to me and called me a _er I'd look at you like a moron and laugh.

I'm not gonna sit there and pout because words hurt
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Jay02

Method Man wrote:

People are too serious

All of this, especially the enlarged part.

Pause
grin.gif

No really though I don't get it either. Everyone whines and moans about equality and being treated the same as everyone else, but there's key words that for some reason can NEVER EVER BE SPOKEN. I'm black, if you walked up to me and called me a _er I'd look at you like a moron and laugh.

I'm not gonna sit there and pout because words hurt
laugh.gif

Too many biased opinions in here.

Well, the TNT cameras should not have panned towards an angry player.  That's just looking for trouble.

I do agree with this, though.

Too many biased opinions in here.

Well, the TNT cameras should not have panned towards an angry player.  That's just looking for trouble.

I do agree with this, though.

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Stop saying it's a freedom of speech issue. No one is saying that Kobe doesn't have the right to say it.

For those of you saying it's okay to attack gays for their sexual orientation because they chose (
eyes.gif
) to be gay, can I please please please attack you because of your religion? Pretty please? After all, you weren't born with your religion...(I already know that you're religious, how cool is that?
grin.gif
)

Kobe chose the word to signify how sensitive the referee was.. He knew what he was saying.  He used it as a slur.
As Usual your bringing religion into this when its barely been mentioned in this thread at all. When will you ever shut the ++#$ up about it?
Where else does homophobia come from?

Again, since you can attack gays because they chose to be gay, can I please attack you for your religion? PLEASE???

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Stop saying it's a freedom of speech issue. No one is saying that Kobe doesn't have the right to say it.

For those of you saying it's okay to attack gays for their sexual orientation because they chose (
eyes.gif
) to be gay, can I please please please attack you because of your religion? Pretty please? After all, you weren't born with your religion...(I already know that you're religious, how cool is that?
grin.gif
)

Kobe chose the word to signify how sensitive the referee was.. He knew what he was saying.  He used it as a slur.
As Usual your bringing religion into this when its barely been mentioned in this thread at all. When will you ever shut the ++#$ up about it?
Where else does homophobia come from?

Again, since you can attack gays because they chose to be gay, can I please attack you for your religion? PLEASE???

I dont get why people cant get the concept of intent. I use that word all time jokingly with my friends, not one of them are gay. 
So, you've decided it's not offensive because of the reactions of your straight friends?  Really?
Let's talk about intent for a minute.  

When I was an undergrad I contributed to an intergroup dialog program that facilitated discussions on racial issues.  I participated in several series of them and, each time, some of the White students would bring up the concept of intent in attempt to excuse making racist statements and assumptions.  Basically, they felt that they shouldn't be judged harshly unless they MEANT to cause harm to others.  They didn't want to be forced to change their behavior or reconsider the way they looked at the world.  They wanted to continue to behave as they always had, without acknowledging the unearned privileges associated with their majority status and the undeserved penalties associated with minority status.  It's a false sense of innocence.  They didn't want the benefits to which they'd become accustomed to be cut off, but they didn't want to acknowledge where those benefits came from or that other people suffer as a result.  And so, they try to rationalize it such that these benefits are "rightfully earned," considering them a function of hard work or education, for example.  They'd argue that if a Black student felt uncomfortable holding a White student's hand in public that they were just "imagining it," or that if you were followed around a store that it was because of the way you were dressed, that you brought it on yourself and the clerk's actions weren't racially motivated.

Heterosexual privilege isn't the same as White privilege, but it does function in a similar way.

Imagine that you're waiting in line in a crowded space.  A friend of mine is in line ahead of you and I decide that I'd like to talk to him.  So, I shove a few people out of my way and walk over to his place in line.  Since I'm focusing on my conversation, I'm not really paying any attention to the other people in line or those I've pushed past, and, without knowing it, I'm standing on your foot.  It wasn't my goal to stand on your foot, but it happened.  I'm not feeling any pain, so I couldn't really care any less about it.  

At this point, if you have any self-respect whatsoever, you'll probably try to get my attention to let me know that I'm standing on your foot and probably scuffing up your shoes.  

Imagine if I responded by saying, "well, I'm sorry if I've caused any harm.  I didn't mean to.  If this place weren't so crowded it would never have happened."  Fair enough, right?  It would be - except that, as the line moves up and everyone shuffles a bit, I'm going to do the same thing again.  And again.  As you become increasingly indignant, I'm just going to reinforce my position, "look, I'm not TRYING to step on your foot.  It's just happening.  I'm not used to looking at my feet while I walk and I'm not going to inconvenience myself to avoid stepping on you.  I don't know what you're whining about anyway.  You say it's hurting you, but I'm not feeling any pain."   

You KNOW that by using a slur you're offending others, but rather than reform your behavior you're falling back on this excuse that "you don't mean it."  

Well, at a certain point, that's not a valid excuse - because you know that the behavior IS hurting others and yet you continue to do it.  What's more, you expect everyone else to adapt and "suck it up," just so you can continue to use a highly offensive slur at your leisure. 

Using that type of language can make others feel disrespected - and, frankly, that's what slurs are intended to do.  It's a bit like playing catch with a skull.  You and your friends may have fun throwing around the remains of someone else's grandmother, and in theory it isn't hurting anyone, but if people discover that's what you've been doing, including the relatives of the deceased, you should expect them to be offended by it.  Realistically, you should expect them to think less of you.  Perhaps someone else's skull is just an inanimate object to you, but you live in a society in which many people feel a deep sense of respect for the remains of their loved ones and don't want to see those remains treated so frivolously.  Knowing that, what you're doing is insensitive to say the least - and it is intentionally insensitive in that you don't care that it's offensive to others.  You do it because you feel like it and you're not interested in changing your behavior.  That's a pretty selfish position. 

I dont get why people cant get the concept of intent. I use that word all time jokingly with my friends, not one of them are gay. 
So, you've decided it's not offensive because of the reactions of your straight friends?  Really?
Let's talk about intent for a minute.  

When I was an undergrad I contributed to an intergroup dialog program that facilitated discussions on racial issues.  I participated in several series of them and, each time, some of the White students would bring up the concept of intent in attempt to excuse making racist statements and assumptions.  Basically, they felt that they shouldn't be judged harshly unless they MEANT to cause harm to others.  They didn't want to be forced to change their behavior or reconsider the way they looked at the world.  They wanted to continue to behave as they always had, without acknowledging the unearned privileges associated with their majority status and the undeserved penalties associated with minority status.  It's a false sense of innocence.  They didn't want the benefits to which they'd become accustomed to be cut off, but they didn't want to acknowledge where those benefits came from or that other people suffer as a result.  And so, they try to rationalize it such that these benefits are "rightfully earned," considering them a function of hard work or education, for example.  They'd argue that if a Black student felt uncomfortable holding a White student's hand in public that they were just "imagining it," or that if you were followed around a store that it was because of the way you were dressed, that you brought it on yourself and the clerk's actions weren't racially motivated.

Heterosexual privilege isn't the same as White privilege, but it does function in a similar way.

Imagine that you're waiting in line in a crowded space.  A friend of mine is in line ahead of you and I decide that I'd like to talk to him.  So, I shove a few people out of my way and walk over to his place in line.  Since I'm focusing on my conversation, I'm not really paying any attention to the other people in line or those I've pushed past, and, without knowing it, I'm standing on your foot.  It wasn't my goal to stand on your foot, but it happened.  I'm not feeling any pain, so I couldn't really care any less about it.  

At this point, if you have any self-respect whatsoever, you'll probably try to get my attention to let me know that I'm standing on your foot and probably scuffing up your shoes.  

Imagine if I responded by saying, "well, I'm sorry if I've caused any harm.  I didn't mean to.  If this place weren't so crowded it would never have happened."  Fair enough, right?  It would be - except that, as the line moves up and everyone shuffles a bit, I'm going to do the same thing again.  And again.  As you become increasingly indignant, I'm just going to reinforce my position, "look, I'm not TRYING to step on your foot.  It's just happening.  I'm not used to looking at my feet while I walk and I'm not going to inconvenience myself to avoid stepping on you.  I don't know what you're whining about anyway.  You say it's hurting you, but I'm not feeling any pain."   

You KNOW that by using a slur you're offending others, but rather than reform your behavior you're falling back on this excuse that "you don't mean it."  

Well, at a certain point, that's not a valid excuse - because you know that the behavior IS hurting others and yet you continue to do it.  What's more, you expect everyone else to adapt and "suck it up," just so you can continue to use a highly offensive slur at your leisure. 

Using that type of language can make others feel disrespected - and, frankly, that's what slurs are intended to do.  It's a bit like playing catch with a skull.  You and your friends may have fun throwing around the remains of someone else's grandmother, and in theory it isn't hurting anyone, but if people discover that's what you've been doing, including the relatives of the deceased, you should expect them to be offended by it.  Realistically, you should expect them to think less of you.  Perhaps someone else's skull is just an inanimate object to you, but you live in a society in which many people feel a deep sense of respect for the remains of their loved ones and don't want to see those remains treated so frivolously.  Knowing that, what you're doing is insensitive to say the least - and it is intentionally insensitive in that you don't care that it's offensive to others.  You do it because you feel like it and you're not interested in changing your behavior.  That's a pretty selfish position. 

kobe.gif

This whole thing is wayyyy outta hand.  

Dude is one of the most competive people in the damn world.  A pro athlete should be allowed to say what ever he wants as long as he's not looking directly into the camera.  Sorry but sports and competition are not fair game here. 

kobe.gif

Dude is one of the most competive people in the damn world.  A pro athlete should be allowed to say what ever he wants as long as he's not looking directly into the camera.  Sorry but sports and competition are not fair game here. 

Method Man wrote:
If there was a like button, I'd like this post. Unfortunately, all of what you've just said will probably go in one ear and out the other of some folks.

Method Man wrote:
If there was a like button, I'd like this post. Unfortunately, all of what you've just said will probably go in one ear and out the other of some folks.

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

Beyond out of hand.  The word is now more popular and more mainstream then ever.  Hell I am sure this weekend when I ball, dudes will be calling each other including me the F word just to get a laugh out of it.  

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

Beyond out of hand.  The word is now more popular and more mainstream then ever.  Hell I am sure this weekend when I ball, dudes will be calling each other including me the F word just to get a laugh out of it.  

i don't get why people are trying to analyze and dissect this it's not that serious it was something said in the heat of the moment, there are worse things in sports
some of you are acting like kobe is out there burning gay flags
and trying to compare this to the n-word, just stop

i don't get why people are trying to analyze and dissect this it's not that serious it was something said in the heat of the moment, there are worse things in sports
some of you are acting like kobe is out there burning gay flags
and trying to compare this to the n-word, just stop

Back
Top Bottom