Gay Rights slams Kobe-- "what a disgrace" Kobe gets fined 100k

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

DC, the point is if everybody is doing something small like taking 5-10 minutes extra on lunch break then don't warn one guy.  If it's a minor offense that nobody cares about then don't make an example out of one guy.  The world ain't perfect.  So actually other situations do come into play because that's how we establish social norms and culture.  It's basketball or sports culture to use harsh language in competition.  If the camera ain't on him then this doesn't matter. 
I already said consistency is the only issue I have here. In terms of punishment handed out.

KG knew he was wrong.
Kenyon knew he wrong wrong.
Kobe knew they BOTH were wrong.

Those two not getting fined shouldn't make Kobe think he would get away with it. He is still wrong.

My point is Kobe was wrong. Nothing further (5th time).

But I'm saying the issue is so minor nobody is wrong.  KG, Kobe, MJ, Bobby Knight, etc.  It's sports and just because we got the technology to look at dudes in 4 angles in super slo motion doesn't mean the athletes have to change.  That's not right and unfair to think like that.
There are people who watch sports that are offended by such behavior, the fact that you aren't doesn't mean it isn't a major issue. What they do in the privacy of their own home is their problem, but the NBA doesn't want to give the impression that they're "OK" with such behavior while their employees are in the spotlight. It's bad for business. Kobe Bryant is employed by the Lakers and the NBA, it isn't a democracy. Like every other workplace there are rules he has to abide by, and an image he has to portray.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

Stop saying it's a freedom of speech issue. No one is saying that Kobe doesn't have the right to say it.

For those of you saying it's okay to attack gays for their sexual orientation because they chose (
eyes.gif
) to be gay, can I please please please attack you because of your religion? Pretty please? After all, you weren't born with your religion...(I already know that you're religious, how cool is that?
grin.gif
)

Kobe chose the word to signify how sensitive the referee was.. He knew what he was saying.  He used it as a slur.
As Usual your bringing religion into this when its barely been mentioned in this thread at all. When will you ever shut the ++#$ up about it?
Where else does homophobia come from?

Again, since you can attack gays because they chose to be gay, can I please attack you for your religion? PLEASE???
So you're telling me that there are NO homophobic Atheists right?

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

Stop saying it's a freedom of speech issue. No one is saying that Kobe doesn't have the right to say it.

For those of you saying it's okay to attack gays for their sexual orientation because they chose (
eyes.gif
) to be gay, can I please please please attack you because of your religion? Pretty please? After all, you weren't born with your religion...(I already know that you're religious, how cool is that?
grin.gif
)

Kobe chose the word to signify how sensitive the referee was.. He knew what he was saying.  He used it as a slur.
As Usual your bringing religion into this when its barely been mentioned in this thread at all. When will you ever shut the ++#$ up about it?
Where else does homophobia come from?

Again, since you can attack gays because they chose to be gay, can I please attack you for your religion? PLEASE???
So you're telling me that there are NO homophobic Atheists right?

DC, the point is if everybody is doing something small like taking 5-10 minutes extra on lunch break then don't warn one guy.  If it's a minor offense that nobody cares about then don't make an example out of one guy.  The world ain't perfect.  So actually other situations do come into play because that's how we establish social norms and culture.  It's basketball or sports culture to use harsh language in competition.  If the camera ain't on him then this doesn't matter. 
I already said consistency is the only issue I have here. In terms of punishment handed out.

KG knew he was wrong.

Those two not getting fined shouldn't make Kobe think he would get away with it. He is still wrong.

But I'm saying the issue is so minor nobody is wrong.  KG, Kobe, MJ, Bobby Knight, etc.  It's sports and just because we got the technology to look at dudes in 4 angles in super slo motion doesn't mean the athletes have to change.  That's not right and unfair to think like that.
There are people who watch sports that are offended by such behavior, the fact that you aren't doesn't mean it isn't a major issue. What they do in the privacy of their own home is their problem, but the NBA doesn't want to give the impression that they're "OK" with such behavior while their employees are in the spotlight. It's bad for business. Kobe Bryant is employed by the Lakers and the NBA, it isn't a democracy. Like every other workplace there are rules he has to abide by, and an image he has to portray.

So because I am saying that the behavior is not appropriate means I don't go to NBA games? Ok Ninja. You got it.
laugh.gif

and honestly...IMO, there is a HUGE difference between just the run-of-the-mill cursing and dropping an offensive SLUR. 

as far as Kobe...the 100k fine is excessive.  Do I think he's homophobic?  No.  He's in a public venue and he was caught saying something that is extremely offensive.  Doesn't matter the ref's sexual orientation, Kobe just shouldn't have said it knowing the cameras are on him for the majority of the game.  For example, Shannon Brown dunks...cameras pan over to the bench where Kobe is standing and applauding.  You get the point.  That being said, I can't believe that there are people in here who can't understand why the word is derogatory and also why people may have raised their eyebrows when Kobe was CAUGHT saying it. 

So because I am saying that the behavior is not appropriate means I don't go to NBA games? Ok Ninja. You got it.
laugh.gif

and honestly...IMO, there is a HUGE difference between just the run-of-the-mill cursing and dropping an offensive SLUR. 

as far as Kobe...the 100k fine is excessive.  Do I think he's homophobic?  No.  He's in a public venue and he was caught saying something that is extremely offensive.  Doesn't matter the ref's sexual orientation, Kobe just shouldn't have said it knowing the cameras are on him for the majority of the game.  For example, Shannon Brown dunks...cameras pan over to the bench where Kobe is standing and applauding.  You get the point.  That being said, I can't believe that there are people in here who can't understand why the word is derogatory and also why people may have raised their eyebrows when Kobe was CAUGHT saying it. 

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

KG knew he was wrong.

did you see how FAR that camera was? c'mon...
indifferent.gif

KG knew he was wrong.

indifferent.gif

let's pretend a kid is sitting with his dad at that lakers game and overhears kobe's comment.

when they get home, he might ask his dad what the word means. or he might just start repeating it around his classmates.

when he finds out that the word means, he now has a negative association with the group it represents. and since someone he looks up to said it, it must be acceptable, right?

let's pretend a kid is sitting with his dad at that lakers game and overhears kobe's comment.

when they get home, he might ask his dad what the word means. or he might just start repeating it around his classmates.

when he finds out that the word means, he now has a negative association with the group it represents. and since someone he looks up to said it, it must be acceptable, right?

Originally Posted by ninjahood

indifferent.gif

He should have known better, hopefully this is a deterrent to him repeating the same mistake twice and a deterrent to anyone else who chooses to use offensive slurs during a game.

How far the camera was doesn't change the fact that he said what he said....I have zero sympathy for him. None. Kobe isn't a terrible human being but a player of that caliber and years in the league should have known better.

indifferent.gif

He should have known better, hopefully this is a deterrent to him repeating the same mistake twice and a deterrent to anyone else who chooses to use offensive slurs during a game.

How far the camera was doesn't change the fact that he said what he said....I have zero sympathy for him. None. Kobe isn't a terrible human being but a player of that caliber and years in the league should have known better.

And that's to be expected.  The person listening to you isn't always the person to whom you're speaking.  That doesn't make it a wasted effort. 
As I've learned from a good deal personal experience in social justice issues, it's often the case that the people who benefit the most from a discussion don't take part in it directly.  They're generally the ones who are too uncertain about their own feelings to venture an opinion, which makes them interested in actually considering multiple positions rather than simply (often blindly) defending their own.  
embarassed.gif

And that's to be expected.  The person listening to you isn't always the person to whom you're speaking.  That doesn't make it a wasted effort. 
As I've learned from a good deal personal experience in social justice issues, it's often the case that the people who benefit the most from a discussion don't take part in it directly.  They're generally the ones who are too uncertain about their own feelings to venture an opinion, which makes them interested in actually considering multiple positions rather than simply (often blindly) defending their own.  
embarassed.gif

indifferent.gif

He should have known better, hopefully this is a deterrent to him repeating the same mistake twice and a deterrent to anyone else who chooses to use offensive slurs on national TV.
laugh.gif

i can tell you never picked up a basketball in your life if you think this is gonna change da culture of basketball, baseball, sports, etc.

this is also da only country in da world that people give a crap about language on television...bunch of soft *## sensitive effeminate emasculated cats up in this board....its disgusting.

my damn MOTHER has yelled worse things at me
laugh.gif
some of ya need to pull that skirt down. 

I'm sure if kobe said something offensive about Dominicans and it was caught on camera, ninjahood would be first in line with the rope like "hang that black n***** now, i got the rope right here".
eyes.gif

indifferent.gif

He should have known better, hopefully this is a deterrent to him repeating the same mistake twice and a deterrent to anyone else who chooses to use offensive slurs on national TV.
laugh.gif

i can tell you never picked up a basketball in your life if you think this is gonna change da culture of basketball, baseball, sports, etc.

this is also da only country in da world that people give a crap about language on television...bunch of soft *## sensitive effeminate emasculated cats up in this board....its disgusting.

my damn MOTHER has yelled worse things at me
laugh.gif
some of ya need to pull that skirt down. 

I'm sure if kobe said something offensive about Dominicans and it was caught on camera, ninjahood would be first in line with the rope like "hang that black n***** now, i got the rope right here".
eyes.gif

I'm sure if kobe said something offensive about Dominicans and it was caught on camera, ninjahood would be first in line with the rope like "hang that black n***** now, i got the da rope right here".
eyes.gif

fixed

I'm sure if kobe said something offensive about Dominicans and it was caught on camera, ninjahood would be first in line with the rope like "hang that black n***** now, i got the da rope right here".
eyes.gif

fixed

eyes.gif

i'd kill myself if i was as sensitive as some of you +@%#%*...
laugh.gif

[biggie] you soft duke, you soft [/biggie]

Back
Top Bottom