GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL THREAD- Recap

Roy is on a mission this year
pimp.gif

we all know Roy is a lock for the lottery...but what about our other fourth year players? think someone like wallace has a chance at getting drafted??

the game last night was electric. had not seen an early season georgetown game that packed and that into the game ever. even some of last years Big east seasongames didnt have that many people there, its truly amazing. jeff green's mom was there rocking a seattle jersey. also sat near typeR's uncle, had abrief chat. unfortunately, forgot my camera at home and could not get vid on some of the highlights, will try next game

as far as the game, our bench was a bit sporadic but you can tell there is alot of chemistry between freeman and wright. i love the fact that wright knows howto push the ball up and is the reason why i cant wait for him to get the starting spot. hibbert had a frustrating night, things were just not going in for him.summers had another smooth game, been my favorite players since first game of last year.

allen- i think you need to add the smart tag on the first post. thinking a smart tag of "Georgetown" will help people find this post easier.

jonathan is my man... personally... that said... he'd get his lunch EATEN by most lower tier nba points in an nba setting. the pace in the nba isnt gearedtowards his strengths

pat will be in the nba one day... but not right away. He's got nba talent but has never put it all together. Pat is very similar to jamario moon... who isstarting for toronto but took some time to get into the league.

when i asked the question about wallace being drafted i was thinking about his skill set being very similar to charlie ward's but with a much better jumpshot.

I don't think he's as strong as Charlie or as good a defender..but we'll see

We need to put a beat down on Ball State for the Ronny situation

When a Georgetown team shoots 49% at home and lost by 13 last year, plenty of college basketball experts were surprised. Even more surprising was the opponent:Old Dominion, a school which had not defeated a top 10 opponent in the regular season in 16 years. The win helped lead the Big Blue to 24 wins and an NCAA bidin 2007, and entering this season, ODU is a strong team once again, having outrebounded North Carolina and Louisville on consecutive nights.

With its third top 10 opponent in a week, ODU has a matchup that plays a little closer to its strengths, in an environment all its own. The Monarchs are 46-4at the Ted Constant Convocation Center over the last four seasons, but will need to improve its shooting to steer it past a Georgetown team that is up to thechallenge.

The Monarchs shot only 34% in their loss to Louisville, a game the Monarchs led in the second half but could not match the Cards inside. A similar fate befellthem the night before, as the North Carolina Tar Heels shot a torrid 71 percent from the floor while ODU could muster only 40 percent shooting. Guard play,particularly in outside shooting, is a point of emphasis in this game.

ODU's guards are more than capable of turning up the shooting heat. Brandon Johnson enters the game averaging 48 percent from the field and 50 percent fromthree, but has been more likely to feed the ball (6 assists per game) than take over the game offensively. Guard Marsharee Neely also fares well as a shooterbut averages fewer shots and could be at a disadvantage against a quicker Jessie Sapp in the defensive matchup.

Old Dominion's scoring punch is up front, where a pair of forwards have proven themselves worthy against some of the best in the nation. 6-5 BrianHenderson has led his team in three point shooting over the last two seasons, but has struggled to begin 2007-08, with a 31 percent mark outside the arc and 33percent overall. His outside shooting picked up with a 4-9 effort against Louisville, but he has yet to hit his stride. As Henderson's fortunes have beenunsettled to date, the Monarchs are bullish on Gerald Lee, a 6-9 sophomore from Finland who has shown signs of remarkable play this season. Lee was 8-11 fromthe field against Louisville and is shooting 61 percent from the field. The Monarchs will count on Lee for second half spurts, but to date ODU has struggledlate in games, which allowed Clemson, UNC, and Louisville to take over down the stretch. Its center, Sam Harris, is notable for being one of the few playerstaller than Roy Hibbert (7-3), but he is not a main scoring option.

Outside of an early spurt versus Michigan, Georgetown has played conservatively over its three games, preferring to get freshmen and receives more time earlyrather than build up considerable leads. In adjusting to the loss of Jeff Green, forwards DaJuan Summers and Patrick Ewing Jr. have yet to pick up theoffensive push, but the height advantage on Henderson should allow one of these two to work the mid-range shot and either find Hibbert inside or drive to thebasket.

Roy Hibbert had a nice game last season (17 points, 8 rebounds) against Harris (2 points, 4 fouls) and could do so again, but must be careful ODU doesn'ttry to set him up for some early foul trouble, which would give Lee much more freedom inside against Summers or Vernon Macklin. The guards must also look forsome strong efforts from OSU's bench, particularly redshirt senior Abdi Lidonde.

Some keys to the game?

1. Points Off Turnovers: The Monarchs gave up only seven turnovers in last year's game, limiting GU's opportunities for a comeback. ODU is averaging 17turnovers a game so far in 2007-08, and Georgetown needs to convert these accordingly.
2. Rebounds: With 40 rebounds a game, ODU doesn't give opponents many second chances.
3. Ewing & Henderson: With Summers and Lee both expected to battle for points, the matchup at small forward could prove critical. Defense will be key tokeeping Henderson off-target, while Ewing needs to get more scoring opportunities in transition.

Georgetown's guard and center play figure to lead the way, but the Monarchs' home cooking must not be ignored. In its first real test on a hostilefloor since the Syracuse game back in February, a methodical, efficient game is just what the Hoyas need entering December. And no surprises, either.

I really just wana get through this one

The one thing that I kinda like is they have a 7-3 guy...and Roy always tends to play better against fellow big guys

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

when i asked the question about wallace being drafted i was thinking about his skill set being very similar to charlie ward's but with a much better jump shot.
i think he miiiight get drafted late in the 2nd round. if not, someone will definitely pick him up. he reminds me of a mateen cleeves type guy,good in college just not a good fit for the nba.

I have more concern for this then the upcoming Bama game...

I really wana get to Memphis undefeated

I think it's only a matter of time before Freeman starts

Pat is better off the bench

Sounds like our D came to play, so far..

...go pitt!!
laugh.gif

Positives so far tonight

- Dajuan is rebounding this year
- Roy is dominant

this is gona be close all the way it looks like

And no matter how effective it could be at times

I just don't like Georgetown playing a zone, it just doesn't feel right
laugh.gif

should be a fairly easy one today

Three hundred and two.

That was the attendance Wednesday night as Fairfield lost on the road to St. Francis College of Brooklyn, a low point of the Stags' 2007-08 season to date.After a gritty five point loss to Cincinnati four days earlier, the Stags must now regroup Saturday at Verizon Center against the Hoyas. So which opponentshows up--the Fairfield five that battled the Bearcats to the end, or the team that tumbled to the Terriers?

In his second year at Fairfield coach Ed Cooley has gone with a youth movement in his starting lineup, with two freshmen, two sophs, and a junior in an attemptto resuscitate the Stags' program. The youth movement offers hope for the Stags... if not Saturday, then by the time the MAAC season arrives. Theconference has slipped in recent years, and a young and aggressive Fairfield team hopes to make a move within it.

If the Stags are to make an impact in this game, look for junior guard Jonathan Han to provide the leadership. A mainstay of the fairfield offensive sets ineach of the two prior games against GU in this series, Han leads the Stags in field goal percentage, three point percentage, and free throw percentage.He's the only Fairfield player with a positive assist to turnover ratio, and as Han goes, so go the Stags. Against Cincinnati, Han led the Stags with 20points. Against St. Francis, just eight.

Freshman Warren Edney (6.7 ppg) has started well as guard, as has 6-6 forward Yorel Hawkins (7.0). Sophomore Greg Nero (10.0 ppg) has struggled in recentgames, with only three field goals in his last two games. 6-8 Anthony Johnson must do battle inside with Roy Hibbert, and held up well in last year's game,but still gives up six inches on the boards.

Georgetown has been playing to the level of its competition in four games thus far, so fans shouldn't be surprised to see a slow start and a quick run outin the second half, followed by plenty of reserve time. DaJuan Summers had a sub-par effort with Old Dominion but had 17 in last season's game. With asimilar matchup with Nero, Summers' fans should be expecting another big game.

Some keys to the game?

1. Limit Outside Shooting: Fairfield hung with Cincinnati via 10 three point baskets. If georgetown shuts off the Stags from outside, their margin of errorbecomes very, very narrow.
2. Steals Beware--Fairfield averages almost 10 steals a game.
3. Jessie Sapp Sapp has an experience advantage on Edney which should give Sapp a big edge to the basket.

The Hoyas don't want to look ahead too far to Alabama, but Fairfield gives them an opportunity to prepare for their nationally televised debut on ESPN.barring a lights-out shooting effort that nearly toppled Cincinnati, Georgetown is a clear favorite in this one.

Back
Top Bottom