GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL THREAD- Recap

my n' Dorsey
pimp.gif

That was the worst half of basketball since Cuse last season

FT's...I just dont get it, this is the same team minus Jeff (not a good FT shooter) plus two good shooting guards.

Got killed on the boards

Roy did not show up

but,,,

Memphis brought their A game and that place was loud. The only 2 teams with a CHANCE in that envoirnment against them today would be UCLA and UNC

A learning experience today for sure, at times in the first half we looked great, but just got into a game we're not built for, rushing shots, just nottypical.

Hats off to Memphis

Lastly, would of been nice to have Mr. Green in a game like this

so i jus left the game, and i must say that this is the best game the home team played. the crowd was toooo hype and this was actually my 1st time in fedexforum
as for the game, gtown had a chance and i was startin 2 get pissed. but as u guys may have noticed, da tigers have a way of turnin it up, and when theydo.....well

Originally Posted by moundraised23

so i jus left the game, and i must say that this is the best game the home team played. the crowd was toooo hype and this was actually my 1st time in fedex forum
as for the game, gtown had a chance and i was startin 2 get pissed. but as u guys may have noticed, da tigers have a way of turnin it up, and when they do.....well

I just left the game as well DAMMMMMMNNNN!!! That was the most fun i had at a game EVER!!!

T-I-G-E-R-S.... TIGERS!!!!!

The atmosphere there looked great on TV. I used to live in Memphis and watching this game reminded me of the old "Tomb of Doom" days when Penny wasdoing his thing at the Pyramid.

I love th GTown team. I do wonder what Rivers adds to this team. He stands around on offense and he was a killer in getting any momentum. MEM was making GTownbe aggressive but Rivers would just get the ball and throw it to someone else, or miss 2 shots in a row very badly. I never thought he was anything special andtoday confirmed it. I think Sapp would have been a lot better used if they let him penetrate. I think GTown is too smart not to take anything away from thisgame. Hopefully JT3 plays that chump less though. I think these were the 2 best teams in the nation. I believe either one could beat UNC.

yeah that was a horrible 2nd half. free throws really hurt us. and rivers, damn...dude killed any momentum we had in that first half with the airball. hereally needs to be one of the last guys off the bench. at the least, he needs to play a lot less.

^i really dont know why rivers plays as much as he does...but his game offensively has come a long way since last year...maybe it was that stupid fro he hadthat was hurting him

Memphis fans were standing for like half the game.
laugh.gif

But, good game. Memphis definitely looked a million times
better than when I seen them at MSG for the Jimmy V.

I know I'm in the minority of Rivers supporters but...

He has really improved and did knock down that one jumper today

He is big and physical on D, and the best perimiter defender on the team..

Yes, his offensive game still needs work, but he is a solid player

2 nice games to bounce back...

thankfully Pat is back to the 6th man role.

Freeman and Wright are going to be the best backcourt to ever play here by the time they're done.

Petey, not sure what you're laughing at from the Memphis game, I'm sure Cuse coulda gone down there and won, right?

LOL...Syracuse has losses to UMASS, Ohio State, and Rhode Island. Georgetown has a loss to Memphis. I don't know who's mad but I know who should be.

An ok win today...

We HAVE to rebound, and make FT's.

With Pat, Dajuan, Vern and Roy...we should be an average to above average team on the glass, right now,,,its dreadful

And I don't know if this is a good thing for right now, but Austin Freeman is the best player on the team

He is going to be so good here

good game, so i heard from a friend who was able to watch. good to hear that roy showed up

REBOUND tomorrow

(not sure why the guy who writes these has Austin and Adrein matched up)

Here's a look at some potential matchups:

Jonathan Wallace vs. A.J. Price. Wallace fared well in last season's matchup, and his 10 points a game have beenconsistent all season. Look for Wallace to keep Price off the three point mark while trying to cut off passing lanes inside, leading to breaks off turnovers.
Jessie Sapp vs. Jerome Dyson. Dyson needs a big game and to do it, he'll have to overcome one of the best backcourtdefenders in the league. Dyson's shooting has been below par in three of his last four games and Sapp should be able to take advantage on both sides of theball.
Austin Freeman vs. Jeff Adrien. Adrien's size figures to give him an advantage against Freeman, playing in his first BigEast home game. Adrien led the Huskies in last season's game at Verizon and could test Freeman early and often with his jumper. Patrick Ewing, Jr. needs tostay focused (and out of foul trouble) should be be called into extended playing time on Adrien.
DaJuan Summers vs.Stanley Robinson . Much as Adrien may have a step up on Freeman, Summers has a step on Robinson, thoughSummers' play was down in the DePaul game. Summers needs to regain his touch offensively while cutting off Robinson's at offensive rebounds, whereConnecticut is averaging 16 offensive boards a game in their last ten, a number that could seriously damage Georgetown's efforts in this one.
Roy Hibbert vs. Hasheem Thabeet. Hibbert has the experience if not the height. Both need to avoid cheap fouls and use theirsize to maneuver into scoring opportunities. Thabeet will get his blocks, but Hibbert needs to work his way into scoring opportunities and plenty of freethrows.
GU bench vs. UConn bench. A trio of big men, 6-9 Curtis Kelly, 6-9 Gavin Edwards, and 6-11 Jonathan Mandeldove, figure to seesome time, but for the most part, UConn is a five man team. (The bench scored exactly one point on St. John's Tuesday.) Georgetown's rotation could usea boost from Jeremiah Rivers and Vernon Macklin, the latter of whom remains due for a big game befitting his reputation entering college.

Keys to the game:
1. 75 points. Georgetown wins at its pace, not Connecticut's. The first team to 75 will be in good shape heading into the final minutes.
2. Rebound Margin. At 46 rebounds a game, anything close to that means UConn can win this game on the boards.
3. Three Pointers With Hibbert and Summers failing to combine for strong offensive games in tandem, GU has relied on outside shooting. It mustconstruct a similar effort if the Huskies pack the middle.

For UConn to win, the Huskies hold Georgetown under 50% shooting, get Hibbert and/or Summers in early foul trouble, and force turnovers that play to theirspeed in the backcourt--a recipe Memphis used for success just three weeks ago. The Memphis formula did not go unnoticed by teams in the interim, except thatwhen Georgetown gets its inside game in motion, guard play seems to take a back seat. If Georgetown can control the play at the guard position, it sets thetempo that allows its big men to thrive and rebounds to work in its favor. Locking down UConn's guards puts the Hoyas in a position to win, a game whereevery possession will prove critical to the final outcome.

Back
Top Bottom